Knock some senses into me: HELP!
Mar 19, 2007 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
I have decided to spend another $250 on a portable amp and precisely I am looking for the following attributes:

- Good synergy with ETYMOTIC ER-4S
- Superior Soundstage Improvement
- High level of transparency
- Laid back Neutral presentation - not too shouty but not veiled either

Candidates that I have in mind:
- XENOS 1HA-EPC (I am very-very keen on this one)
- Headphonia Mini Amp (Just the amp)

I have spent hours and hours reading on those two but can't decide which one fits my requirement because they seems to be closely matched

Things to consider:
- I don't care how they look
- I don't care what's the size as long as they are transportable
- I am not too concerned about Crossfeed but it would be nice to try it

And if you have reason to convince me to go all the way to RSA SR-71 please also state so.

PS: I am still waiting for my Go-Vibe V6 (low-gain) to arrive on my doorsteps but I am already dazed with choices for really good portable amp. And I also has an active order with Xin for a SuperMicro IV which takes forever (coming to 3 months now).

Thanks for reading and forthcoming advise
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 9
I went for the Hornet and never looked back.. LOVE this portable amp and it drives everything. Its nice to have the gain switch to adapt it to different IEMs or full size cans. Low noise floor and it really packs a punch. Might be able to find one used for closer to 300

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

PS: I am still waiting for my Go-Vibe V6 (low-gain) to arrive on my doorsteps but I am already dazed with choices for really good portable amp. And I also has an active order with Xin for a SuperMicro IV which takes forever (coming to 3 months now).

Thanks for reading and forthcoming advise
biggrin.gif

So, you have 2 amps in transit and are trying to decide on a third?
blink.gif

You're almost as crazy as me...almost.
biggrin.gif

What about a Tamohawk?

I think the Xenos has the less than ideal crossfeed circuit. Tough call between those 2 you list.

Mar 19, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 9
CMasten:
Based on what I have been reading RSA Hornets will only be available this July due to parts shortage. I not gonna put myself into torture for another waiting list syndrome
plainface.gif
biggrin.gif

GreatDane:
Yeah I am insane that's is. Two amps in transit, have not listened to them and spending too much time at this cursed place and before you know it I lost my senses and feeling trigger happy.

Yes a TomaHawk is another choice and I am have another IE window right now reading Skylab and MrArroyo takes on TH
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

papermasterarumi:
Umm I don't see how I can use a DAC for now so that's why I aimed on the Amp module only

Mar 19, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Shameless plug:

Do consider my PRv2. I can make one for RM250. Active ground, diamond buffers, low gain of 3, I can even throw in output resistors so you don't have to use impedance adaptors. Also, 24V TREAD adaptor that charges 2x 9V rechargeables while you listen to it at the same time. Picture in LYN's DIY Amp Club thread.

You can even audition it. There'll be one in the July meet.

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 9
Mar 19, 2007 at 8:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eokboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shameless plug:

Do consider my PRv2. I can make one for RM250. Active ground, diamond buffers, low gain of 3, I can even throw in output resistors so you don't have to use impedance adaptors. Also, 24V TREAD adaptor that charges 2x 9V rechargeables while you listen to it at the same time. Picture in LYN's DIY Amp Club thread.

You can even audition it. There'll be one in the July meet.

Hmmmm more poison
plainface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif
I'll give you a call on this one.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back