knobs knobs and knobs
Jul 18, 2003 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
Well, knobs are knobs. Some are downright nasty. Others are nice and pretty
plainface.gif

Well I've been looking and looking for a knob with an led in it, all to no avail. If someone can point me in the direction of one, I'd greatly appreciate it
eggosmile.gif

Thanks.

-T

Jul 18, 2003 at 7:08 AM Post #2 of 6
Make your own? Here's my idea, it's untested as I don't have an amp to apply it to, but.. if it's a home amp... Find a largish knob, [hollow] and a drill. Drill hole and mount an LED bezel in there - hell, perhaps don't even bother with that, drill a 3mm hole and fit a 3mm LED in there. Seal it with epoxy or hot glue.. Fitting it in the case would be difficult, but as an idea, get extra long leads, drill a hole close to the potentiometer hole, feed the leads through there. Turn pot from min to max, it should pull the leads through. Give it a centimetre more or so of slack and there you go. Clamp LED leads to the case, to reduce fatigue on the joint on the board. I also wanted a knob with an LED in it, but gave up. My current case idea doesn't need it
wink.gif

Any reasons why this shouldn't work?

Jul 18, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #3 of 6
I believe many of those so-called 'led in the knob' knobs actually have an acrylic ring (lightpipe) embedded into the backside, with one point extending through the face. Then there is an led behind the bezel that is positioned in close proximity to the ring. The spot on the face is then edge-lit via the ring on the backside.

But no, I have never seen them for sale.
frown.gif

Jul 18, 2003 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 6
Just fyi, this is a continuation of this thread.

Jul 28, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Voodoochile
I believe many of those so-called 'led in the knob' knobs actually have an acrylic ring (lightpipe) embedded into the backside, with one point extending through the face. Then there is an led behind the bezel that is positioned in close proximity to the ring. The spot on the face is then edge-lit via the ring on the backside.

Many computer LED's work similarly. I would think this would be a particularly good approach in this case, as it could double as a stem for the knob, and therefore could be immobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back