knife-fi?
Apr 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,516 of 2,248
I'm pretty big into knives.  My grandfather has collected for decades and passes them onto us.  Current collection is an SOG jet edge 2, Kershaw groove, kershaw ken onion leak, Canal Street Cutlery Bowie knife, a few Benchmade elischewitz series, spyderco dragonfly, and a few other random knives I've bought.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #1,517 of 2,248
I'm ready to move up to a 4" self-defense folder. Good ergonomics and a strong blade are the reqs. By ergonomics I mean scales that help with heavy slashing/piercing (for a folder), 

You need to heavily slash and pierce someone in self-defense? Preparing for your big moment? 

You can totally kill the **** out of somebody with one 

I bet. 

LOL eff I forgot to hide my 29 balisong but yes I have been known to carry one a good amount of the time.

LOL YOU SILLY. It makes you look really strong though with that thing sticking out of your pants like that. The guy is probably only in the picture with you because he was afraid you were gonna slash and pierce the things out of him if he declined. 

Here's my EDC for the past few months. SRM B787. The others never leave the house anymore. Even the ones that cost me 20x as much. They must be in a box somewhere. Anyway! I couldn't kill the whatever out of someone with this even if I tried. Then again, I'm not much good in a fight anyway. I use it to open packages, cut apples and open beer bottles. Oh, and pry under my fingernails. My girlfriend hates me when I do that. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #1,518 of 2,248
Thanks for advice. I'm having my Bro order a Hinderer. In the meantime maybe a Reeve or Strider. Be nice to see how the Strider hits the cardboard. Always wanted a Reeve but what holds me back is they are basically well-made classic 60's Buck. Not necessarily a bad thing but...

What's up with the wise-azzed Japanese named Euro white boy?

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #1,519 of 2,248
Quote:
Thanks for advice. I'm having my Bro order a Hinderer. In the meantime maybe a Reeve or Strider. Be nice to see how the Strider hits the cardboard. Always wanted a Reeve but what holds me back is they are basically well-made classic 60's Buck. Not necessarily a bad thing but...

I was being tongue-in-cheek obviously. But there sure is a lot of testosterone in this part of the forum all of a sudden. What ever happened to knives being tools instead of weapons? I mean, I can flip a mean balisong but I'm not stupid enough to bring it to a fight.

Oh, and wise ass? Yes. European? Alas. White? Very. Ask anyone about my dancing skills. But Japanese-named?? C'mon. My name is as un-Japanese as a windmill. I don't even watch anime for Odin's sake. 
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT: Btw, why are you called Pigmode? 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #1,520 of 2,248
I was being tongue-in-cheek obviously. But there sure is a lot of testosterone in this part of the forum all of a sudden. What ever happened to knives being tools instead of weapons?

/Snip

for Odin's sake. 
confused_face_2.gif

Odin's the man :)

I'm not sure but nowadays everyone thinks of knives as weapons. My friends know carry a knife but almost everyone else seems shocked when pulling out a folder for some utility task.

If you want some self defense I'd Google "kubaton". Can be easily incorporated to a keychain, doesn't at all look offending and can easily grant you an escape with one well placed hit. Everything with a bit of a point can function as a kubaton. It might require some practice but than again everyone bringing a knife to a fight without practice is a fool imo.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #1,522 of 2,248
Quote:
Anyone here carry a Karambit?

I'm thinking about getting one lol 

I have and still do carry a Karambit,  Ive carried a couple through out the years.  Had the spyderco folding one and it was a great piece.  As I learned a little about how to use it I moved to a fixed blade with a concealed carry sheath made by Jay Fisher (local laws will get you on that one).  If your into the blade pattern for defense then i highly recommend training on this blade type, they havea  learning curve.  If you want it just for everyday tasks and pocket carry then there are other blade types that might be better suited to your needs.

Apr 30, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,523 of 2,248
Quote:

I was being tongue-in-cheek obviously. But there sure is a lot of testosterone in this part of the forum all of a sudden. What ever happened to knives being tools instead of weapons? I mean, I can flip a mean balisong but I'm not stupid enough to bring it to a fight.

Oh, and wise ass? Yes. European? Alas. White? Very. Ask anyone about my dancing skills. But Japanese-named?? C'mon. My name is as un-Japanese as a windmill. I don't even watch anime for Odin's sake. 
confused_face_2.gif

EDIT: Btw, why are you called Pigmode? 

Knives are tools, some for utilitarian tasks other for defense.  A weapon is nothing but a specialized type of tool used for offenseive or defensive purposes.  Fact is most people who carry a blade for protection never need it for such.  I can say this though I have used a blade in self defense when traveling abroad and its the training that matters most.  The blade choice and looks are secondary in that moment.  For my every dy carry I try to carry something thats practical for mundane opening tasks while still a defensive blade.  For work purposes I cary a utility folder and defensive blade.

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #1,524 of 2,248
Quote:

Striders are too thickly ground, you'll do a lot more pushing and heaving than cutting. They're thicker aka "tougher" but you'll end up dulling it faster due to the amount of force you'd have to use compared to a Reeve to be honest.

The Reeves have a heat treated/carbidized lockbar which means the lockbar will not self adjust as rapidly (people have had theirs for about a decade) vs the Strider where the routine service schedule is like every six months, but they will develop blade play a lot sooner than that. The lockbar to tang surfaces are uneven and the lockbar holds the blade locked with it's corner, the Hinderer and CRK uses the full face of it's lockface to lock up and it's cut at a matching angle as the blade. Even hinderer doesn't have a surface treated lockbar, but they still last a long long time too heh.

Again it's nitpicky stuff, but you don't go around saying you build the best knives without caring about stuff like this.

If you guys wanna follow me to my home knife forum, theres a lot of great discussion taking place there. 

My home forum (feel free to use my handle ChrisHimself as a reference). The posts you make there will not show up in any online search. We like our privacy as it is a knife and gun forum.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/forum.php

Apr 30, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #1,525 of 2,248
Quote:

Knives are tools, some for utilitarian tasks other for defense.  A weapon is nothing but a specialized type of tool used for offenseive or defensive purposes.  Fact is most people who carry a blade for protection never need it for such.  I can say this though I have used a blade in self defense when traveling abroad and its the training that matters most.  The blade choice and looks are secondary in that moment.  For my every dy carry I try to carry something thats practical for mundane opening tasks while still a defensive blade.  For work purposes I cary a utility folder and defensive blade.

I've seen way too many people with a LOT of holes/slashes/cuts in them that are still fighting strongly to expect a knife to be an effective self defense tool in a serious situation.

Apr 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #1,526 of 2,248
Quote:

I've seen way too many people with a LOT of holes/slashes/cuts in them that are still fighting strongly to expect a knife to be an effective self defense tool in a serious situation.

A knife can be an extremely effective self defense tool in close in situations (say with in 15-20 feet).  Especially if the person is trained.  Theres credible studies that show a determined attcker can cover a distance of 21 feet with a melee weapon before a seasoned and experienced cop can draw and discharge an aimed shot from his holster.  Keep in mind that if you are to the point where you are using a blade or gun or baton for defense its because the other person has shown in intent to kill or maim.  Id rather have a hole/slash or cut in me and survive the encounter than be dead in a alley.

May 1, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #1,527 of 2,248
LOL are we talking self defense here? If in the 90% of the time I'm at home I get assaulted, I'm pretty good. For the other 10%, I'm like 200lbs of pure asian sexyness. I've been alive 24 years, been in like 3-4 bar fights, never even once thought about using a weapon. Aggravated assault is one thing, killing a dude is a whole nother level. I just carry shiet cuz I like things that are made well.

Stay strapped my friends

Also here's today's dump

May 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #1,528 of 2,248
Quote:
Quote:

Striders are too thickly ground, you'll do a lot more pushing and heaving than cutting. They're thicker aka "tougher" but you'll end up dulling it faster due to the amount of force you'd have to use compared to a Reeve to be honest.

The Reeves have a heat treated/carbidized lockbar which means the lockbar will not self adjust as rapidly (people have had theirs for about a decade) vs the Strider where the routine service schedule is like every six months, but they will develop blade play a lot sooner than that. The lockbar to tang surfaces are uneven and the lockbar holds the blade locked with it's corner, the Hinderer and CRK uses the full face of it's lockface to lock up and it's cut at a matching angle as the blade. Even hinderer doesn't have a surface treated lockbar, but they still last a long long time too heh.

Again it's nitpicky stuff, but you don't go around saying you build the best knives without caring about stuff like this.

If you guys wanna follow me to my home knife forum, theres a lot of great discussion taking place there. 

My home forum (feel free to use my handle ChrisHimself as a reference). The posts you make there will not show up in any online search. We like our privacy as it is a knife and gun forum.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/forum.php

Cool, you always come through. Will order a lg Sebenza from Plaza in the meantime. Btw I don't carry a knife unless there is a need which is rare. My main use for a self-defense knife, is working out with my partner. Slashing 1.5" and thrusting 4" of corrrogated paper from varying positions is pretty eye opening.

May 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #1,529 of 2,248
Quote:
A knife can be an extremely effective self defense tool in close in situations (say with in 15-20 feet).  Especially if the person is trained.  Theres credible studies that show a determined attcker can cover a distance of 21 feet with a melee weapon before a seasoned and experienced cop can draw and discharge an aimed shot from his holster.  Keep in mind that if you are to the point where you are using a blade or gun or baton for defense its because the other person has shown in intent to kill or maim.  Id rather have a hole/slash or cut in me and survive the encounter than be dead in a alley.

I know...

Just saying that I've seen guys with 60+ stab wounds walk away from an equally bloody but unconscious attacker.  Spend $150 on a self defense course before you spend $150 on a knife if you are serious about protecting yourself is all I'm saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back