knife-fi?
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #1,262 of 2,248
Quote:

Both of those are amazing knives man. 

Here's whats on my desk currently. You never know when someone is gonna bust in thru the window trying to take my LCD-2's

Got the knives in and while I'm very happy with the 710, the 581 build was disappointing. Part of the G10 handle was separated from the steel liner. I've had a few Benchmades and they've all been much better, so I'm exchanging it for a new one. The action on the AXIS assist was very nice though. I'll take pics of both once I get the new one in.

That's a nice collection. I was tempted to go for a Sebenza, but couldn't justify the cost. I've got a few big purchases I need to make in the next few months so one knife costing more than the two I got combined is a little much. Thinking of getting a Spyderco Military at some point down the line.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #1,263 of 2,248
To ensure that you've reprofiled the whole edge, drap a line in sharpie across the edge, and dont stop reprofiling with extra coarse until the line is completely gone and you feel the edge folding over on the other side (that's called the burr), but just barely.  Do that on both sides, and when you're finished, move onto the coarse, medium, then fine.  After fine (and ideally extra fine) go onto the strop. Each step requires a steady hand that can maintain an angle.  You might be pushing too hard, that's what I used to do.

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #1,265 of 2,248
Well I guess the third time is the charm, on the 30* setting I got it shaving sharp. I learned a bit more on this one, use oil more often, is one major thing. I know by no means is the edge perfect, honestly I can tell its barely shaving sharp, but ive spent like 6 hours total on this one knife, time to move on. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #1,266 of 2,248
Quote:
Well I guess the third time is the charm, on the 30* setting I got it shaving sharp. I learned a bit more on this one, use oil more often, is one major thing. I know by no means is the edge perfect, honestly I can tell its barely shaving sharp, but ive spent like 6 hours total on this one knife, time to move on. 

that sounds like a textbook case of an unprofiled edge.  if your getting more results with a higher degree setting, it's because your settings are approaching what the factory sharpened the edge at.  If you want to go any lower than 30, you're gonna have to spend a good while grinding your blade down, it's worth it though.  sharp knives are effing awesome.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,267 of 2,248
I have noticed that the lower grit stones, for some reason seem to not be removing that much steel at all. Sharpened a kitchen knife today, and the rough seemed to make no difference, while the medium I could atleast tell i was making a difference. On the kitchen knife on the rough/extra course stones I could never feel a burr, but at medium or finer i could feel a burr. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,268 of 2,248
I have quite a few knives, but my favorite so far is a blemished Kershaw Leek I picked up about a year ago at a Portland gun show for $15.
What do you guys use to sharpen your knives? I have ~10 knives, but I don't have a sharpener :/

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #1,269 of 2,248
My score from BLADE show this weekend split with a couple friends. Strider SMF's mostly. Strider does the best knives because even though I own Chris Reeve stuff, they're too finicky about their warranty and you always have to clean them constantly. The resale prices on secondhand gear are also killer and you can land a $400 knife for 300 all the time.

Jun 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,270 of 2,248
Quote:
My score from BLADE show this weekend split with a couple friends. Strider SMF's mostly. Strider does the best knives because even though I own Chris Reeve stuff, they're too finicky about their warranty and you always have to clean them constantly. The resale prices on secondhand gear are also killer and you can land a $400 knife for 300 all the time.

Ha, I was just thinking to myself "this is an old thread".  Nice to see the OP still around after so long.  That's a nice haul.  Those are a little spendy for me, but still . . . NICE!

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,271 of 2,248
I finally broke down and grabbed a Spyderco sharpmaker.  I used it for the first time last night on my Paramilitary 2.  Even though it was my first time sharpening, it got scary sharp.  Tried it out on a kitchen knife as well with less sucess.  I'll watch the DVD and have another go with it over the weekend.

Amazingly engineered piece of kit.  A lot of thought went into the product, that's for sure.

Jun 24, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #1,273 of 2,248
My first video review, please go easy on me! I was very nervous talking to the camera! Rate and Comment please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back