knife-fi?
Sep 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #946 of 2,248

Quote:
another quick and dirty by laptop light

These things are SICK

It's like an Emerson A-100 except with better fit and finish and Lifesharp. Win/Win scenario!

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #947 of 2,248

Quote:
a bm530! i had one, but i sold it. great knife, and as thin and light as can be. i just ended up not liking the spear point blade style. not as useful to me as the sebbie blade.

I agree, very thin and very light and I'm not sure what to use it for either.

How about this?  4 1/8" long and 1/8" thick.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #949 of 2,248

Quote:
is that one of the ancient bm spikes?! a manual one at that too!

You're right, it's a Boguszewski Spike....
beyersmile.png

From the days when the logo said "Bali-Song".

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #953 of 2,248
I've had this thing for bloody ages now, I think it's been 4 or 5 years. It's a lot more banged up than the picture shows, I've used and abused that thing heaps. The micarta inserty things look permanently 'wet' now, it's supposed to be much lighter, but I forgot what I did to make that happen =P.

It's pretty dull now, because I have no idea how to sharpen a knife, anyone have any recommendations for an easy to use sharpener?

I've tried the spyderco sharpmaker, but I did not like it one bit. Trying to sharpen with the sharpmaker may have been the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #954 of 2,248
the sebenza is hard to sharpen because of its convex edge. once you take it to a flat \/ grind it will be easy to sharpen. touching up a knife is always easier than actually sharpening a dull knife. the s30v is a good steel, but it does take a little more time to sharpen than cheaper steels. i use a sharpmaker on mine and it is quite tricky at first. you should use the brown stones for a bit then go to the white ones. maybe 30 deg and then give it a small microbevel at 40. 

maybe get an edge pro or something...but thats pricy.

the micarta is a great user friendly inlay, i like it a lot.

Quote:
I've had this thing for bloody ages now, I think it's been 4 or 5 years. It's a lot more banged up than the picture shows, I've used and abused that thing heaps. The micarta inserty things look permanently 'wet' now, it's supposed to be much lighter, but I forgot what I did to make that happen =P.

It's pretty dull now, because I have no idea how to sharpen a knife, anyone have any recommendations for an easy to use sharpener?

I've tried the spyderco sharpmaker, but I did not like it one bit. Trying to sharpen with the sharpmaker may have been the most frustrating thing I've ever done in my life.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #955 of 2,248

Quote:

tongue.gif

No way man, no way you could have a dull Sebbie, thats unspeakable? I'll sharpen your Sebbie for free if you cover shipping! I use a Lansky sharpening system, but I prefer to use Lansky stones. I use a chamois to prevent scuffing when I mount the blade on the angle tool. I'll give you a nice 30 degree edge which should last you a long time.

Got my Benchmade 51 today, 4.25" blade length and 9+" overall length is nothing to joke about lol...

+ Considering purchasing this 53, although everybody on the forums says it's a piece of **** though... =(

It still looks REALLY good to me... they say the latch absolutely EATS away at the G-10 though since it doesn't have any liners to back it up

I recently sold off all my knives except for the balis to pay for school, the cable thing helps a bit too... I think once I get a hold of some more money I'm going to buy an Umnumzaan, I've always wanted to try one of those...

That new Ti-Lock looks really nice too, and I love the simple thumb opening but I could never go from Emersons, Spyderco, and Benchmades, to a knife that couldn't be closed with one hand...

BTW, I've never been on a forum outside of a knife forum where I've been as outdone by other people's knife collections lol... I could only dream of owning an inlaid Sebenza, I've always wanted a spalted maple inlaid one... but I can't use Sebenzas so I honestly would buy them and keep them for a couple weeks at a time, then divert the funds somewhere else.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #956 of 2,248
Quote:
snip  

Heheh I gave up regrinding the edge after like 5 minutes, then I never touched the sharpmaker again.

Yeah I wanted to get the edge pro, but it would kind of be a waste as I only have the sebenza and a swiss army lying around somewhere.

I really like the micarta too, it's not as pretty as wood so I don't worry about scratching it by tossing it in a toolbox or anything like that.

Quote:
No way man, no way you could have a dull Sebbie, thats unspeakable? I'll sharpen your Sebbie for free if you cover shipping! I use a Lansky sharpening system, but I prefer to use Lansky stones. I use a chamois to prevent scuffing when I mount the blade on the angle tool. I'll give you a nice 30 degree edge which should last you a long time.

snip

Aahahah thanks for the kind offer, but with the highway robbery shipping prices that Australia Post charge, I'd rather buy a new sharpening system =P. I'll check out the Lansky sharpening system later, that bali looks monster lol.

I used to use the sebenza to strip cables and stuff for DIY, I think that may have buggered up the edge a little bit. Well, can't really blame the knife, I'm just too lazy to get it sharpened. 4 years without a sharpening does seem quite long eh?

I don't even know why I got the sebenza in the first place, I think it was my first proper knife. It may have been from the days where I used to visit candlepowerforums, and I saw people post what they EDC and I just thought, I WANT THAT KNIFE NAO.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #957 of 2,248
@ chris_himself

i handled a 53 in a store over the weekend. blade shape and grind is sweet, but it handles like a dumb mayhem. look into that if you like the 53 style. i've had 2 pass my hands, its a great knife, but the 51 is a better flipper. those curved handles just don't do it for me. it is however a better edc, a mayhem trumps the 53 and even the 51 in my book. 

what is a deal breaker on the 53 is the plain g10 handles. its just too light and doesn't have the momentum or heavy well built feel of the 42. even the 51 has titanium liners.

@deadly lover

4 years....that is a long time if you use that thing a lot to cut more than just fruits and food. no wonder it got dull lol.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #958 of 2,248
Damn so many nice knives in this thread. The Balisongs are really getting me. Maybe i'll get on in the future....

Quote:
How I'd love to own a Seb, but I can't justify the cost.

That was my thought too but that changed within seconds of holding/using one. When you take one apart you really get to see what makes a sebbie so special.
+1 to the "pocket jewelery" comment

Quote:

tongue.gif

Have you tried the seb on the sharpmaker? or some other knife? If the edge of the knife is not 15 or 30 degrees per side it good take a gazilion years to get it right.

Quote:
the sebenza is hard to sharpen because of its convex edge. once you take it to a flat \/ grind it will be easy to sharpen. touching up a knife is always easier than actually sharpening a dull knife. the s30v is a good steel, but it does take a little more time to sharpen than cheaper steels. i use a sharpmaker on mine and it is quite tricky at first. you should use the brown stones for a bit then go to the white ones. maybe 30 deg and then give it a small microbevel at 40. 

Actually, the blade is convex but the edge is a V-grind. After owning my seb for a month orso it needed touch ups, went to SM fine and ultra fine rods and it came out air bleeding sharp within 15 minutes. Even Chris recommends using the sharpmaker at 20 per side to sharpen.

On the micarta; There is micarta on my RTAK-II and ESEE Lite Machete. Both are off-colour by now, natural oil from your hands cause this. It adds character to the knives, same as coated blades that have lost most it through use.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #959 of 2,248
I heard it was convex from the factory because of the way they use the belt grinders to put a finish on the edge. You can really only get a V grind on a flat surface like the sharpmaker, once you use something like a strop (just like a belt sander) that isn't backed by anything (not using the polish pieces on an edge pro) you are convexing it.... How can you get a perfect V grind unless you are pushing the knife across a flat surface?

have you seen the crk sebbie documentary vid?

Quote:
Actually, the blade is convex but the edge is a V-grind. After owning my seb for a month orso it needed touch ups, went to SM fine and ultra fine rods and it came out air bleeding sharp within 15 minutes. Even Chris recommends using the sharpmaker at 20 per side to sharpen.

On the micarta; There is micarta on my RTAK-II and ESEE Lite Machete. Both are off-colour by now, natural oil from your hands cause this. It adds character to the knives, same as coated blades that have lost most it through use.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #960 of 2,248

Quote:
I heard it was convex from the factory because of the way they use the belt grinders to put a finish on the edge. You can really only get a V grind on a flat surface like the sharpmaker, once you use something like a strop (just like a belt sander) that isn't backed by anything (not using the polish pieces on an edge pro) you are convexing it.... How can you get a perfect V grind unless you are pushing the knife across a flat surface?

have you seen the crk sebbie documentary vid?

Havent seen that. I heard it was convexed and shot a mail to crk. They told me the sharpmaker is the recommended sharpener. After using the sharpmaker it got very sharp with out reprofiling.
this led me to believe the edge is v-grind. The vid is on the crk site? Always interested in that sort of stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back