knife-fi?
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #811 of 2,248
^ yea, I know. They just pulled it off again! Haha, crk is some great stuff, I'm looking forward to the ZT/Hinderer collab since an xm-18/24 is just way too much money. ZT0560/0561.

Jun 21, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #813 of 2,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by au5t3n5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ yea, I know. They just pulled it off again! Haha, crk is some great stuff, I'm looking forward to the ZT/Hinderer collab since an xm-18/24 is just way too much money. ZT0560/0561.

Rick's work also looks great, if it wasn't for the waiting time i would have gotten a XM-18 i think. Probably a good for thing for me(or my wallet) that there's a waiting time :).
Just saw the recent prices, gone sky-high....

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i don't know if the newer metal is better but the "idaho made" makes me only want old ones now. just my feeling. besides i bet the older they are like bg42 are going to cost more.

S35V Is supposed to be easier to proces and take a even better edge than S30v which is pretty impressive already.
I can't be bothered with the Idaho Made on the scales. Its still an awesome knife and the text does not change that. For me knives are tools and not safequeens, some are real pretty ones at that but still a tool. An inscription is not chaning that. Ofcourse there are limits on looks but this is not strechting that.
You might wanna see the discussion at Bladeforums about it if you havent already, its mostly a bunch of whining collectors imo.

Jul 4, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #814 of 2,248
Benchmade 710 in M390 steel. Awesome knife...my edc. Surprisingly, Benchmade has done a way better job on their factory edge. I've cut countless cardboard boxes with this knife and it's still able to slice paper.

A little proof that it is in M390.

Jul 4, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #815 of 2,248
I love M390 steel. It really holds an edge well.  This knife is more compact than it looks.

Jul 4, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #816 of 2,248

Finally bought myself a Leatherman Skeletool CX last saturday. Although technically not a knife, it's blade is beautifully crafted and razor (literally, it shaves) sharp. Overall I'm very impressed with it's build and design. They even offer a 25 year warranty. :)

Jul 4, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #817 of 2,248

Quote:

Finally bought myself a Leatherman Skeletool CX last saturday. Although technically not a knife, it's blade is beautifully crafted and razor (literally, it shaves) sharp. Overall I'm very impressed with it's build and design. They even offer a 25 year warranty. :)

Just keep it away from salt water!  They are only slightly corrosion resistant, not a true stainless.  I was mislead by their claim of it being stainless and found out the hard way, sadly.  Their 25year warranty did not cover this.
I agree on the knife.  Leatherman knifes are EXTREMELY sharp!

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #818 of 2,248

Quote:

That's a great tool/knife.  I've carried a CX on my side for years.  I've never even remotely had a rust problem with mine and I've never gone to any special lengths to keep it from getting wet.  Just treat it with the same care as you would with any other good knife, and you should be just fine.  If you use it in salt water, rinse it off at your earliest convenience and treat it overall with something like blue lube, etc.

Titanium and carbon fiber don't corrode, so you only have to treat the springs, bits, pilers, and knife blade.

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #819 of 2,248

Quote:
That's a great tool/knife.  I've carried a CX on my side for years.  I've never even remotely had a rust problem with mine and I've never gone to any special lengths to keep it from getting wet.  Just treat it with the same care as you would with any other good knife, and you should be just fine.  If you use it in salt water, rinse it off at your earliest convenience and treat it overall with something like blue lube, etc.

Titanium and carbon fiber don't corrode, so you only have to treat the springs, bits, pilers, and knife blade.

I agree that it's a great tool. I picked a CX up recently for work and it's been very useful. I love the light weight, and build quality. Still use a Benchmade for EDC, but the CX is a nice complement.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #820 of 2,248

Quote:
I agree that it's a great tool. I picked a CX up recently for work and it's been very useful. I love the light weight, and build quality. Still use a Benchmade for EDC, but the CX is a nice complement.

me 2.  CX on my belt and Benchmade in my pocket

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #821 of 2,248

Quote:
Just treat it with the same care as you would with any other good knife, and you should be just fine.

Do you have any suggestions for removing surface rust on a leatherman?
I tried my best with WD40 and some brillo pad, but I still have spots that I can't seem to remove on the pliers.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #822 of 2,248

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for removing surface rust on a leatherman?
I tried my best with WD40 and some brillo pad, but I still have spots that I can't seem to remove on the pliers.

Wow, I can't imagine rust on the pliers.  I have probably 20 pair or more of Leatherman tools around the house, many of them well over 10-15 years old and not a single one of them has a spot of rust on them.  I've never done anything to try and prevent it either, other than to treat them like I do with all my other tools, and some of them (the other tools) have a few rust spots, but none of the Leathermans have ever rusted.  Had a SOG tool grow a few rust spots once.

Here are some home remedies:
http://www.diylife.com/2010/04/12/the-daily-fix-remove-rust-from-tools/

I've used a fine wire wheel on a drill motor or Dremel tool to remove minor rust spots on other things, in conjunction with WD40.  Have you contacted Leatherman themselves about it?

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #823 of 2,248
Jul 6, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #824 of 2,248
My humble collection.

From Cold Steel:
  1. Finn Bear
  2. Roach Belly
  3. 6" Ti-Lite, Zytel handles
  4. Tokyo Spike
  5. Latin Machete (in the trunk of my car)
  6. Kopis Machete (I used this when practising B.I.F.F Escrima)
  7. 18" Barong Machete (I use this to trim the backyeard hedges :)
  8. Peacekeeper I (can't remember the steel, but it ain't VG-10 or San-Mai)
  9. Pocket Bushman
  10. Urban Pal, small push dagger (In my car, for cutting the seat belts)
  11. 2 Victorinox Swiss Army knives
  12. Böker Magnum Blitz, automatic

Other manufacturers:
  1. SOG Flash II
  2. Kershaw Leek
  3. Fairbairn-Sykes WWII fighting knife, repro. Mirror finished blade, blued aluminum handle.
  4. Spyderco Ladybug 3, plain edge, purple handle
  5. Spyderco Tenacious
  6. Gil Hibben Claw II, satin, skeleton handle
  7. Smith & Wesson Border Guard, spearpoint, all black
  8. Fox Cutlery dagger style throwing knife
  9. Linder Large Thrower throwing knife
  10. CAS Iberia Bolo-Tabak 18" filipino short sword (again, used this when I practised B.I.F.F Escrima)
  11. Unknown manufacturer, 18" nepalese kukri, sharpened by a friendly blacksmith

"Bonus" items:
  1. Cold Steel Sjambok
  2. Cold Steel Nightshade Karambit and Tanto
  3. Cold Steel African Walking Stick
  4. Cold Steel Sharkie
  5. aluminum kubotan
  6. a s**tload of 24" rattan sticks from the times doing Escrima
  7. a Jo staff, approx. 4 feet, red oak
  8. Leatherman Squirt PS4, my EDC

Hope I got them all.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #825 of 2,248
Pictures or you're lying! 
wink_face.gif

How did you experience practicing Escrima? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back