knife-fi?
Feb 28, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #706 of 2,251
It doesn't look like a "threatening" knife. It's nice and small and just simply doesnt' scare people who aren't used to seeing people carry a knife. I don't carry a big knife myself, but I still sometimes get questions as to why I carry a knife. People tend to have a view that knives are always weapons, not a utility tool.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #707 of 2,251
First post on Head-Fi and it's about knives
biggrin.gif
I edc a kershaw composite junk yard dog II and just got a zero tolerance 0400 scavenger to rotate with the kershaw.  those boker subcoms are nice and handy too

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #708 of 2,251
Welcome to Head/knife-fi!

After some (stabbing)incidents here and its media coverage, police is doing more and more checks to see if you're carrying a knife.
Lots of models are illegal here. I'm not sure of the correct laws but the blade can't be bigger as the palm of your hand and the blade can't be (b)locked. So that pretty much makes it hard to carry a knife. All the ones I have are illegal now, so I really should get this small Boker Subcom. Too bad the blade locks as well, but hey, following 1 out of 2 laws isn't bad :)

Any recommendation where I could get it for ar a good price in Europe?
What's the deal btw with ordering knifes online? Is shipping knifes by mail legal?

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #709 of 2,251

Quote:
Lots of models are illegal here. I'm not sure of the correct laws but the blade can't be bigger as the palm of your hand and the blade can't be (b)locked. So that pretty much makes it hard to carry a knife. All the ones I have are illegal now, so I really should get this small Boker Subcom. Too bad the blade locks as well, but hey, following 1 out of 2 laws isn't bad :)

If locking folders are a no go, I'd go with a slipjoint instead. No reason to risk confiscation or worse if it isn't necessary. Plenty of nice and functional slipjoints from traditional Cases to modern Spydercos.

Mar 9, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #711 of 2,251
sebenzas are the way to go...well mnandis are good too!

Quote:
It doesn't look like a "threatening" knife. It's nice and small and just simply doesnt' scare people who aren't used to seeing people carry a knife. I don't carry a big knife myself, but I still sometimes get questions as to why I carry a knife. People tend to have a view that knives are always weapons, not a utility tool.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #712 of 2,251
Checked out this thread and realized I've been carrying the same piece of garbage knife since I was 12. Pic related, its Myerco speedster something. Considering how long I've had it its held up pretty well except for some slights bend on the serrations and the crappy hinge.

Looking to replace this with maybe a Broker Magnum Kalashnikov 
or Kershaw Blur

I was also looking at the leek version of the Blur, can anyone say what the main purpose of a leek style knife is? Mainly looking for a general utility knife for EDC.

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #713 of 2,251
My current EDC:

William Henry Large Pikati Auto.  Hand made, 09 of 10, limited edition.  
'Wave' pattern ZDP-189 core damascus @ HRC 67 3" blade
Heat-browned 'Wave' mokume frame, wooly mammoth bone inlay, citrine gemstone.

Pictures just don't do it justice.

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #714 of 2,251

Quote:
My current EDC:

William Henry Large Pikati Auto.  Hand made, 09 of 10, limited edition.  
'Wave' pattern ZDP-189 core damascus @ HRC 67 3" blade
Heat-browned 'Wave' mokume frame, wooly mammoth bone inlay, citrine gemstone.

Pictures just don't do it justice.

Wooly Mammoth!?! Where did you buy that JurassicParkGifts.com?

This is the next knife on my list... Böker Applegate-Fairbairn Grenaldi. Simple and elegant.

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #715 of 2,251
Quote:
thank you for the welcome Ultrainferno.  how about a higonokami knife?? they're very classy, affordable and popular.  they come in different sizes too
you can try purchasing here or here
beerchug.gif

Oh no, I should not come into this thread anymore...

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #716 of 2,251

Quote:
Wooly Mammoth!?! Where did you buy that JurassicParkGifts.com?

It's fossilized mammoth bone, so I guess it more resembles limestone, but that's what the certificate says it is.

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #717 of 2,251
Wow, so I was all set to buy a kershaw blackout and then decided to check out chicago's knife laws since I go there often. The have city laws restricting the blade to under 2.5", which seems stupid. It also seems that assist open knives can be categorized as "switchblades" under the poorly written laws. I said, "ok fine," and started checking out knives that fit this criteria, but they all have tiny handles.

Could I take a knife like the kershaw blackout somewhere to have the blade reshaped/resized? I could also remove the assist spring. That way I could have a 2.4" blade with a full size handle. Has anyone ever done anything like this?

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #718 of 2,251
that can be done. knives such as the stubby emerson have normal blade handles and a blade that only fits half the handle so you can have the handle of a full knife but a legal blade length. idk why you would want that though, a tough as nails box cutter? regardless, it is a blade length law, not a handle, so as long as you have a blade that is in the limit, and not an illegal carry type (ie balisong, automatic, whatever it is depending on where you are) you should be okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back