knife-fi?
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #691 of 2,248

Quote:
For toughness in the price class, I'd probably put the Blur behind the Griptilian and Manix 2. S30V is a bit better retention wise than the 154CM those two use, but is also much harder to sharpen. Overall, it's a nice knife with good ergos and a very slick A/O implementation, but I wouldn't recommend it over the other two unless A/O is a must have feature.

I really like A/O, and for me the look and form of the blur is the best of the three. Plus, part of the kershaw lifetime warranty is free sharpening, and with S30V I doubt I'll even have to spend the $3 it costs to send them the knife very often.

Nov 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #692 of 2,248
I know a lot of people look down on brands like SanRenMu and Enlan (probably since they're manufactured in China and some designs resemble European brandknives, which is ridiculous since these Chinese companies actually OEM for those European and American manufacturers.) but yesterday I received 2 SRM (b4730 & b4733) and 2 Enlan (M03GRY & M09-1) folders from Exduct and they are all extremely well made for the price (about $8 each). I am seriously impressed with them. 

Especially the SRM B4730 and Enlan M09-1 are real bargains. The B4730 is my new favourite EDC blade; small, VERY light and sturdy, and the M09-1 has better craftsmanship, balance and material than my $50 German brand knives. 

These pics don't do them justice at all! Will try to make some of my own later this weekend. 

M09-1:

b4730:

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #693 of 2,248

Quote:
Quote:
Any chance your a pack rat?

Nope, never heard of them 
biggrin.gif
. Proud Rat Pack #36 here. Awesome to see another Packer on here! I don't know if I'll get the HEST folder or not,  but I'm definitely getting the Izula folder whenever it comes out

Hehe i knew the name sounded familiar :) Just read your thread on BF about a SERE school.

Nice collection you have there. Love the pack knife, great colour combo.
Ordered a hoodie, 2 patches and 2 bandana's a while back. Havent received anything, probabaly because the hoodies aren't printed yet.
The 4 is definitely my favorite. Just in case you missed it; Dale from TKC has custom scales for the 4 and is working on the whole line. Probably getting a black knife and blue n black scales.

Just imagine, orange scales on the Junglas... :D

Got my Large 21 sebenza this week..... Now i know what all the fuzz is about..... Everything about is top quality and it came air bleeding sharp.
Been playing with it every moment i could for 2 days straght, still am when i get the time :D The opening and closing is just so smooth, even cutting is a pleasure on its own :D

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #694 of 2,248
Wow i didnt two of my favorite hobbies (knives and music) can be on the same website. I collect all knives from Benchmades, Spyercos, Kershaws, and SOGS, i love them all. I usually edc a Spyderco Delica or a Bechmade Griptillian when needed. if anyone need a great website to order knives, heres one:

http://www.knifeworks.com/ 

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #695 of 2,248
Handforged Clark Tanto in shirasaya, later in full koshirae for my daisho.  Some contemporary Japanese handforged tsuba in steel and iron., and lastly my training tameshigiri blade.

Not pictured: two Clark Daito ( kata, tameshgiri).

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #697 of 2,248
Recieved my ZT 0551 a couple of weeks ago. Initial impressions are pretty positive.

The design mostly mirrors the production XM-18. The finger choil is now gone, replaced by a much smaller sharpening choil. Big plus as far as I see it. The change from the Spanto blade to a more conventional drop point blade is also nice. Thumbstud is still a bit weird, no leverage when pushing out, but plenty when pushing up.

Fit is about as good as can be expected. Blade is centered with no play, detent is nice and strong, lockup is solid and occurs at ~ 50% travel.  Finish could be better, especially considering what Spyderco's Taiwanese subsidary has been putting out. Edge grind was a bit rough looking for a ZT product and oddly enough, stopped just short of the sharpening choil. Still shaved hair out of the box thanks to what looked like a bit of stropping.

In short, it's the Ti/G10 sandwich knife that everyone's wanted ZT to deliver ever since the release of the 0300.

Dec 25, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #698 of 2,248

Quote:
I am very curious about why some of the knife laws are still on the books such as automatics being illegal to carry but you can get a  handgun permit and the fact that some assist knives are as fast as autos.

Many laws use vague descriptors to, in my case, make both autos and assist knives illegal plus balisongs.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #699 of 2,248
Bought a Leatherman knife last year for work and I absolute love it. There's this tape certain boxes at work are packed (I dubbed Jesus-Tape) with and my regular el-cheapo hardware store knife wouldn't do the job, but that Leatherman still cuts through those boxes, zip-ties and straps like it's no one's business.

The built-in carabinner/bottle opener is a plus too. :wink:

Jan 25, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #702 of 2,248
right now i have on me:

bm 630,530s,41mc(balisong),alias2

ive had:

bm 51,610sbk,cgg sebenza

my goal is to just get a nice inlaid sebenza. but pictures for those who are just curious.

a pic of my 41mc:

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #704 of 2,248
The Boker SubCom is a great little knife! It fits very securely in your hand and makes for a great utility knife that will disappear in your pocket. It's also legal to carry just about everywhere and is non-knife-people friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back