knife-fi?
Jun 3, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #602 of 2,248
Stitch, nice ESEE collection you got there!

You wouldn't happen to be a Rat Packer would you?

I've got an RC-4 and RC-3 RP edition.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #603 of 2,248

Quote:
Stitch, nice ESEE collection you got there!

You wouldn't happen to be a Rat Packer would you?

I've got an RC-4 and RC-3 RP edition.

Lazerboy, thats a familiair name :)
RP #709 :) basb is my forum name on BF.
ESEE Forums is the only BF section i visit on daily interval.
This weekend i was camping and put my lite machete to some good use. An incredible tool! 
The belly took some terrible beating thought... Here's the thread http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747374

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #605 of 2,248
For folders the Benchmade RSK Mk1 (Ritter Survival Knife) is my No.1 choice.  You'd have a tough time convincing me that a better folder could be had for less than $200.

For fixed blades I like the Ek knives - 100% pure business IMO.

For a really cheap folder I like the Gerber LST.

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #606 of 2,248
You guys can probably help me.

I've been looking around for weeks for a solid folding knife.

I do a lot of outside work in the summer, and I would also use it for some light hiking, etc. 

Just looking for a good folding pocket knife that won't lose an edge too quickly and won't mind getting into the dirt.  I do a lot of outside work, like spreading mulch, dirt, and other stuff like that, so getting the knife dirty will happen.  Blade length should be short.  Partial serration, or no?  A clip or hole for clipping is a huge plus.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #607 of 2,248

Quote:

I do a lot of outside work in the summer, and I would also use it for some light hiking, etc. 

Just looking for a good folding pocket knife that won't lose an edge too quickly and won't mind getting into the dirt.  I do a lot of outside work, like spreading mulch, dirt, and other stuff like that, so getting the knife dirty will happen.  Blade length should be short.  Partial serration, or no?  A clip or hole for clipping is a huge plus.

I have about 7-8 folders but the one I carry every day is my Benchmade mini-gryptilian with partial serrated blade.  It's solid, quick to open and close, and stays sharp.  When I lost mine I could have grabbed another one from my drawer, but instead I bought the same knife to replace it (see my posts from earlier).  It's a well spent $80-90.

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #609 of 2,248

Quote:

Imho, a great value folder is the Lone Wolf U.S.45 Rosewood folder.
http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-lonewolf-lc21400.shtml

or

Lone Wold Blackfoot
http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-lwolf-lc23800-PLN.shtml

or 

Lone Wolf Wolfgang
http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-lwolf-lc23860-PLN.shtml

On a more compact scale:
The Paul Executive Folder
http://www.lonewolfknives.com/store/pages/products-poehlmann-lm23410.shtml

There are many other great knives in this price range, but not too many are hand made right here in the US like these.

Jun 13, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #611 of 2,248

Quote:
A bit pricey for me.  I'm looking to spend less than $90 if possible.  I'm a college student. 

In that case, look at CRKT knives.  They're great quality, built offshore.

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #612 of 2,248
Quote:
A bit pricey for me.  I'm looking to spend less than $90 if possible.  I'm a college student. 

At the low end (< $40), check out the Spyderco Tenacious if you need a clipped one hand opener. If not, the venerable Buck 110 (standard or EcoLite) is still the gold standard for inexpensive folders. Both can be found on amazon.com. While there are benefits to stepping up the price ladder, either of these knives will give years of good service.

As far as partial serrations go, I'd say no on a short (< 4") blade. Go fully serrated if any of the following statements are true: a) you cut a lot of tough fibrous materials b) you don't care how ragged your cuts are c) you rarely ever sharpen your knife. Otherwise, stick with a plain edge.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #613 of 2,248
www.the-knife-connection.com
www.knivesshipfree.com

Both have great service and shipping and handling.
Spyderco Delica or Endura for around 65-75 bucks will get you a nice folder. Or a Dragonfly for under 50.
No experience with Spyderco but their knives are known for quality.

There are more sites but i use these two alot.

+1 on the Buck 110
I have one for about 5 years now and its a great folder, a bit heavy but its a great knife

Jun 14, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #614 of 2,248
Jun 14, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #615 of 2,248
CRKT really can't be beat for good knives that come in at absurdly low price-points. I've got a CRKT Pazoda I use in the field as my non-obtrusive, low profile pocket knife and a CRKT Thunderbolt 2, CRKT M16 and CRKT M16 10KZ that frequently rotate into EDC along with my Spyderco Endura and Byrd Catbyrd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back