knife-fi?
Jan 23, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #196 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Tighe Pan by Brian Tighe that may compete but that thing looks way cool.

I am concerned about the bali song comment because i have a benchmade knife that has balisong on a butterfly on it and i bought it inside LA city limits, i have never heard that it was considered a switchblade. I work in the schools and i take a knife sometimes to cut my avo or tomato (a Puma lockblade) and no one has said a word. Never heard of some of those LA laws. Hmmmm.

I'll get picts out here in a few days after i read the thread, looks cool.

After playing with a Baliyo, I've decided that I'd slice myself to death with a real bali-song.
redface.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if that bali-song is fake; Benchmade only makes two major bali-songs AFAIK.

Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)

Product Details (Benchmade Knife Company - Premiere manufacturer of knives and rescue tools.)

Switchblades here in Cali are allowed...as long as the blade length is under 2" which makes it pretty much useless.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #197 of 2,248
whats the purpose of such knives?

i mean cant u get into trouble for possessing them.?

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #198 of 2,248
Not really into knives. I have an old sword collection at home but my brother gave me this one. Used for opening many a package...and when we were out camping in the woods.
mg2593zz9.jpg

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #199 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't take mine to work or school or anything like that, only use them around the house and whatnot

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #200 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was mugged once and my knife save my life.
I would rather carry one with the possibility of getting in trouble than not carry one at all and get killed.
That being said, if you carry one know how to use it.
I have many years of training in Kali Eskrima and Iaido.

Jan 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #201 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would rather carry one with the possibility of getting in trouble than not carry one at all and get killed.

I was about to say before I read your whole post, I hope you knew how to wield it properly.

I'm tired of everybody saying how knives are used only as weapons, but really, they're almost all made for the purposes of being a tool. For push the argument further, you might as well say a sharp pencil is a weapon too.
wink.gif

But knives can be good weapons, provided they're up to snuff in that category. I would go for my Surefire though over my knives any day (or night) though. Because it's not about whether you're packing a lot of knives, it's about what you're going to do if you're disarmed of them.

Jan 23, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #202 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was mugged once (Houston 1990) and my Beretta 25ACP let me take the thugs knife. Still have it, cheap rusted chinese knife. He got away because I wont shoot an unarmed man, once he tossed it down as commanded. My Benchmade is my backup to my Kahr 9mm now...

Jan 24, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #203 of 2,248
Quote:

I am concerned about the bali song comment because i have a benchmade knife that has balisong on a butterfly on it and i bought it inside LA city limits, i have never heard that it was considered a switchblade.

Generally speaking, there's not much risk when it comes to violating knife laws unless you're in a really restrictive municipality like NYC. There's quite a bit of selective enforcement as most of these laws are set up so that the police can detain certain minorities groups, youths, or vagrants by catching them on a weapons charge for having a knife.

As far as balisongs falling under the switchblade category, this is one of the interesting California redefinitions that occurs in their weapons laws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by California Penal Code Section 653k
For the purposes of this section, "switchblade knife" means a
knife having the appearance of a pocketknife and includes a
spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife or any other
similar type knife, the blade or blades of which are two or more
inches in length and which can be released automatically by a flick
of a button, pressure on the handle, flip of the wrist or other
mechanical device, or is released by the weight of the blade or by
any type of mechanism whatsoever. "Switchblade knife" does not
include a knife that opens with one hand utilizing thumb pressure
applied solely to the blade of the knife or a thumb stud attached to
the blade, provided that the knife has a detent or other mechanism
that provides resistance that must be overcome in opening the blade,
or that biases the blade back toward its closed position.

Since traditional balisongs open by wrist action and don't fall under the exception, they're legally switchblades in California.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #204 of 2,248
Okay here are a few of mine, guess it is not a bali song but it says that on the knive with a butterfly.
IMG_3308.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

Okay lets see if that worked. It is my Brian Tighe titanium i think it is called a Tighe Pan can't remember. Also a Puma with a wooden handle and the Benchmade.

Edit, sorry about the picts maybe i will try to retake one later with all.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #205 of 2,248
Quote:

Okay here are a few of mine, guess it is not a bali song but it says that on the knive with a butterfly.

Benchmade used to be named Bali-Song Inc, so there are a few non-balisong models with the Bali-Song imprint.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #206 of 2,248
Okay, I don't think i can even pocket that one legally, the blade is a touch too long. On the other hand my Tighe just barely falls in the pocketable range, that's my treasure for sure, but it cost an arm and a leg.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #207 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you might as well say a sharp pencil is a weapon too.

In the right hands, it is, as is a car, a plane or even an iPod in a Yotank case.
wink.gif

Whilst very far from being an NRA type redneck, I equally get droned out by the anti-handgun hysteria.
There was a guy in Belgium who walked into a kindergarten the other day and started slashing toddlers and staff but no one was calling for a ban on knife ownership as a result.
I've often found the most virulently anti-gun people soften their attitudes if you hand them a firearm and teach them to strip it and use it. It replaces the fear of the unknown with empowerment.

I carry a 3" folder hooked in my front pocket most all times.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #209 of 2,248
Yow, that's a touch big for an EDC, don't ya think? Although, at least something like that would be hard to lose. I've gone through quite a few of my little knives now because they keep disappearing on me!

On that note, does anyone have any thoughts on small, relatively inexpensive pocket knives? It's beginning to look like my second Buck Solo isn't going to turn up again, and I'm really missing it so I need a replacement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back