knife-fi?
Feb 7, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #467 of 2,248
My EDC for this month.

r00230548176611.jpg

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #469 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is my EDC knife. The Spyderco Persistence with G10 handle. I love this knife. i dont think you can do much better for the price(~$40).

I stay away from liner locks now...they open and close a bit too easily. The close part never happened to me (yet), but somehow it managed to open inside of my pants and poke a hole out the front.
redface.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #470 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I stay away from liner locks now...they open and close a bit too easily. The close part never happened to me (yet), but somehow it managed to open inside of my pants and poke a hole out the front.
redface.gif

really? i've carried them for years and never had that happen. you can adjust an allen screw on the blade to make it harder to open to prevent that. at least it poked a hole out the front and not the back
confused_face.gif
lol

Feb 8, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #471 of 2,248
i think frame lock is my favorite and liner second. same thing really. lockback is said to be the least likely to fail. wh new button lock is aweful. it closes on my fingers all the time.

music_man

Feb 8, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #472 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
redface.gif

Ever tried some of the double lock knives out there like the CRKT M16 line? They've got a liner lock, but they also have an Lake And Walker Lock mechanism that activates a spring when the blade is open and kicks a little metal flap behind the liner lock so the liner cannot disengage until you pop that secondary lock out of the way. I've had my 3 such knives for about a year now and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Some of my cheap Winchester throw-arounds with liner locks do have the problem you mention though...ergo why I don't like using them.

I do want to snag an Opinel at some point in time, because they are so cheap and look good quality but I want to see how well their locking collar behaves.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #473 of 2,248
The Cold Steel Espada Series knives have their Tri-Ad lock. It was the sound of that lock engaging, in one of their videos, that convinced me to buy. It's harder to close one-handed than a liner lock, but that was a pretty easy habit to change. It still opens easily one-handed.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #477 of 2,248
Any recommendations for a sheathed knife ( size, etc . ) I can use for protection when taking my daughters and dog for a walk in the woods?

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #478 of 2,248
I misread the UPS tracking page. My new Boker Bowie is due on 2/9, which is tomorrow, not today. Have patience, Silencer23.

You might consider Condor Tool & Knife. Cheaper than a Becker, but still mighty tough. The double-bladed bowie in my photo I got mostly for show, but they have some more practical models.

Condor Tool & Knife

Carried by both KnifeCenter and Smokey Mountain Knife Works (where I got my Jungle Bowie).

Knife Center: Condor Tool & Knife
SMKW Knives: Condor® Tool & Knife

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #479 of 2,248
Because Lynn Thompson is a lying POS who rips upon other makers. His knives are plainly, absolute crap. You can do better by buying Spyderco, Emerson, Strider, CRKT, Kershaw and the likes. His business ehtics and model leaves ALOT to be desired. Not worth the price at all.

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #480 of 2,248
No problems Bill ! I will be interested mostly in durability (Your opinion on what kind of abuse it should be able to survive at least) and practical use (Quality of blades, how grippy it is, will the wood break, etc)

It's either that Bowie, or a Buck 119 ! Maybe both
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back