knife-fi?
Jul 20, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #2,146 of 2,248
Looks like a boss! Small knives are underrated, if you ask me. Easier to carry basically anywhere and still gets a lot of stuff done. My small carry is the Spyderco Dice. As you can see, it gets a lot of use.

20200720_124129.jpg

I love seeing a well-loved knife, especially a Benchmade. The AXIS lock is a lot of fun too.
That Dice is really sweet. Wish I picked one up before they were discontinued. Also missed the boat on the Domino. Lovely series overall.

Jul 20, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #2,147 of 2,248
That Dice is really sweet. Wish I picked one up before they were discontinued. Also missed the boat on the Domino. Lovely series overall.

It's one of the best designed small knives I've ever seen. With that finger choil, blade shape, and Spydie hole, almost the entire knife becomes a handle. That makes it feel and use like a much bigger knife. I really like the Native too, but it doesn't have that ramp up on the spine. Spyderco's just my favorite knife maker though. So many classics from them, it's hard to go wrong.

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #2,148 of 2,248
It's one of the best designed small knives I've ever seen. With that finger choil, blade shape, and Spydie hole, almost the entire knife becomes a handle. That makes it feel and use like a much bigger knife. I really like the Native too, but it doesn't have that ramp up on the spine. Spyderco's just my favorite knife maker though. So many classics from them, it's hard to go wrong.
Agreed and Spyderco certainly takes up the most space in my collection. Recently acquired the Kapara and putting it through its paces. So for it's a great blade and design overall, and is one of my favorites so far.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #2,149 of 2,248
IMG_5822.jpg

Jan 5, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #2,152 of 2,248
I'm a total noob when it comes to pocket knives. This is my first purchase - a Fontenille Pataud Laguiole Nature Classic Range Hybrid Juniper Burl. I first got the bug for one the last time we were in Paris and during a food tour, the guide pointed out a shop and mentioned their steak knives. I didn't buy them then, but kind of regretted not doing so. Last month, I went online to their website and was actually looking for steak knives, but ending up buying this instead, lol. It just arrived today and I think it's beautiful.

6v2glBh.jpg

iMQIFer.jpg

lL5Xv1D.jpg

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #2,153 of 2,248
I'm a total noob when it comes to pocket knives. This is my first purchase - a Fontenille Pataud Laguiole Nature Classic Range Hybrid Juniper Burl. I first got the bug for one the last time we were in Paris and during a food tour, the guide pointed out a shop and mentioned their steak knives. I didn't buy them then, but kind of regretted not doing so. Last month, I went online to their website and was actually looking for steak knives, but ending up buying this instead, lol. It just arrived today and I think it's beautiful.

6v2glBh.jpg

iMQIFer.jpg

lL5Xv1D.jpg
That's a beautiful example. Love the spine work!

Jan 7, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #2,154 of 2,248
I know absolutely nothing about knives, but I want to get my brother in law a retirement gift. A friend suggested Buck Knives. Are those ok or are there better recommendations?

He doesn't do anything particular, just a general purpose knife (preferably folding) that would hold its edge, be rugged and low maintenance. My budget is under $200

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,155 of 2,248
I know absolutely nothing about knives, but I want to get my brother in law a retirement gift. A friend suggested Buck Knives. Are those ok or are there better recommendations?

He doesn't do anything particular, just a general purpose knife (preferably folding) that would hold its edge, be rugged and low maintenance. My budget is under $200
Is he left or right handed? For $200 you can get a pretty decent knife that will last beyond a lifetime.

Check out Spyderco, Benchmade, Lionsteel, We Knives and Cold Steel.

For a retirement knife that's both beautiful and usable, Spyderco makes a Titanium Damascus Delica that's pretty nice...

Jan 11, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #2,156 of 2,248
Jan 11, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #2,159 of 2,248
What do you guys think of Buck Knives?

https://www.buckknives.com/
Buck Knives are an American classic. They have been tried and tested over the ages, and you'll find Buck knives in use for many applications. That being said, there are much better knives out now in terms of ergonomics (Spyderco), functionality (Benchmade), and materials (Lionsteel), for the money.

If you are looking for a classic knife pattern and an American brand, you might want to check out Case Knives, too.

Jan 12, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,160 of 2,248
Buck Knives are an American classic. They have been tried and tested over the ages, and you'll find Buck knives in use for many applications. That being said, there are much better knives out now in terms of ergonomics (Spyderco), functionality (Benchmade), and materials (Lionsteel), for the money.

If you are looking for a classic knife pattern and an American brand, you might want to check out Case Knives, too.
Thank you for your recommendations. I'm afraid I need some edumacation here. I don't know the differences in materials, why one would choose one type of blade over the other, why some knives are $30 and others are $800. To me, they all look the same. If you have some time and it's not too much to ask, could you take me through the knives 101? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back