Klipsch X4i Impressions
Aug 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

glove4

100+ Head-Fier
Thought I'd offer some very brief impressions of the low end model of Klipsch's BA series. I'm comparing these with the Meelec A151 which are $100 cheaper and also feature a single BA driver. Simply put, the X4 sound great. Are they worth $150? I'll leave that up to the pro reviewers to decide. But the x4 are nicely detailed with good sub bass extension, deeper than the A151 for sure. The X4 have a very smooth and warm quality in the mids, again superior to the A151 which are much warmer to my ears with more upfront mids. So warm but not too warm. The neutral signature is there with lots of detail, the warm signature makes it very nice for general listening, whereas the X7 are more for monitoring and highly critical listening. My criticism lay mostly in the idevice controls. I do not use Apple products and don't appreciate having to spend extra for controls and call functionality I can't use on Android devices. The fit is excellent as well, never had any fit issues with Klipsch. All in all, these sound much nicer than the A151 for warm and neutral sound. They don't have the overly bright sound of the the UE 700 either, for instance. I imagine these comparing favorably with the A161 but I don't own those. I suspect that the A161 might be the bargain here though as Klipsch commands top dollar. Don't take it from me that these are worth $150, they're quality sounding and looking,but someone else may need to judge whether they're overpriced compared with the competition.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 9
After further use I've concluded that these are excellent for single BA IEMs. I'm still looking forward to reading more reviews on these though. They're a huge improvement over the dynamic driver S4 which isn't well liked on these forums (myself included). These things blow the S4 out of the water on SQ alone and I'd argue are worth the premium price. Is it worth spending an extra $50 for the X7i though?  This I cannot say. I wish I could try them both out.  

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 9
I borrowed these from a co-worker earlier this summer for a few days.
Although they are far above the S4 they fall short compared to other $150 IEM's.

In comparison and from what I remember:
The treble sounded washed out and sibilant at times.
The mids were there some of the times and too recessed at other times
The bigger bass was due to a mid bass hump which muddied the sound compared to other IEMs in this range.
The sound stage was average and instruments seems disconnected from the entire presentation at times.
The depth and separation were also average.

Of my $150 or less IEM's they would rank and sound similar to the Sony XBA-2.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Today I was pleased to discover that my warranty replacement for the s4i arrived in the form of an x4i, I wish I was trained enough in listening to give a review, but I am not. However, they do look cooler than the s4i :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Perhaps the S4i are discontinued? Thank god for that warranty, even with gentle use the S4i would first loose its 3 button control, then one of the ears would stop working, and finally the other. I hope these X4i's will be different. I have had them for a while now, and comparing them to the S4i, they do not have as present bass, but sound more clear. 

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 9
Perhaps the S4i are discontinued? Thank god for that warranty, even with gentle use the S4i would first loose its 3 button control, then one of the ears would stop working, and finally the other. I hope these X4i's will be different. I have had them for a while now, and comparing them to the S4i, they do not have as present bass, but sound more clear. 

There might be a chance that the S4i is going to be discontinued. Klipsch are coming out with a new model, R6, which is around the same price point as S4i

Apr 14, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 9
I received my replacement headphones for the S4i and I got the X4i, a nice surprise. I was also surprised as I was looking at the box that they are a 50 ohm headphone. They sounded good by themselves but when paired with an amp they have a much better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back