Klipsch x10i replacement - lightweight, IEM, straight down, used on commute
Mar 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

highuse

New Head-Fier
Hello all, 

I need to replace my Klipsch x10i's as they have started to die and cut out in one ear. I am ideally looking for something in roughly the same price bracket maybe a little more. I have been looking through the guides and comparisons and was thinking either the Eytomic HF5 or Yamaha EPL-100. 

I am happy with the sound quality from the x10i, my main criteria are something that is as light-weight and comfortable as the Klipsch headphones, they should be IEM and be able to be worn straight down as I hate the over ear ones. I am also happy with a mic and remote line as I will often use them to make phone calls while I travel as well. The only real problem I had with the Klipsch was the build quality which is what has now gone even with careful use and storage.

I mainly listen to jazz, easy listening, swing, digital radio and podcasts either through my phone or computer in the office. Generally I do not listen to music that loud however I will turn it up to drown out the tube/traffic noise a little while commuting. Not sure if there is anything in this price range that would have replaceable cables without being over ear? 

Any advice/recommendations welcome.

Regards, 

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 4
The HF5s would fit the bill in terms of size but the sound signature is quite different. The HF5s are a bit more analytical than the X10s but lack the the latter's low-end which is quite pronounced. For isolation both have the ability to cut out a good deal of traffic noise. I have owned both in the past and purely in terms of sound I preferred the X10s but the build quality let them down and the strain relief developed a small tear which lead to one side failing after about 8 months.

I used the HF5 for a few months then passed them onto my wife and eventually got a pair of IE8s which have served me well for a couple of years now.

Then IE8i may meet your requirements if your budget can stretch to them - they have removable cables but work better with the cables over then ear, otherwise they tend to stick out at a strange angle. I am not aware of any other small light IEMs with removable cables.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks, with the IE8s how comfortable/light are they? As I tend to wear my headphones for long periods of time especially when travelling can be anything from 2 to 6 hours in a stretch, this was one of the key reasons I initially got the x10s as you almost can't tell you are wearing them. 

I managed to get 18 months out the Klipsch x10s, however as I wear and carry them around everyday I would like something a bit more durable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back