Klipsch X10: Worth the extra money?
Jun 19, 2009 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tonym

100+ Head-Fier
HI. Due to limited availability of secondhand IEMs in the UK, I'm tempted to buy new.
I had some Ety ER6i and although I was pleased with the sound quality, never really found them 'comfortable'...more 'bearable'.
Is it worth the extra £ for the Klipsch in terms of SQ and comfort. I like clean, 'bass-light' qualities to an IEM, and microphonics reduced as much as is technically possible; something the Etys didn't do that well.
Any suggestions please?

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #2 of 9
haha, bass light and no microphonics are the exact opposite of the Image X10... you might want to look elsewhere.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha, bass light and no microphonics are the exact opposite of the Image X10... you might want to look elsewhere.

X2. I agree.

I really enjoy the X10's, but they are not bass light, and need special care for microphonics (untwisting, shirt clip, etc.) .

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 9
are the microphonics really that bad? Say you only wear it around the house, or walking (not working out)---would that work ok. Id hate to drop this much money on these and be plagued with awful microphonics

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Interesting... I would tend to wear mine whilst stationary; either seated in the library for long periods, in bed or in cafés reading. Not much walking around or cycling, as I prefer to hear what's going on around me.
Are they really bass heavy, or just in comparison to the ER6i?

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 9
I went for a 45-minute dog walk today with the X10s, and nary a noise from the cable. You need to 1) add a shirt clip and 2) use the slider to pull them tight, so the wires don't bang around on your jacket or shirt collar. I also used them with Comply P Series medium foamies, which I am starting to prefer over the gels (but those are okay too). In other words, I am not sure about running, because the cable makes noise. But you can use the workarounds I do and they will not be bad. I used to dislike the X10s for microphonics, but no more.
As for the bass, I think they they deliver excellent bass, not bloated or overdone. For some reason, these phones are considered bass heavy by some, but I don't hear it. Could be me. Compared to the er6i, they are bass heavy. But that's not saying much.

Jun 19, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. I agree.

I really enjoy the X10's, but they are not bass light, and need special care for microphonics (untwisting, shirt clip, etc.) .

I would agree too on the issue of microphonics and a quite present and noticeable bass. I deal with the microphonics by putting the cord over my ears and running the cord down into either a top pocket under an arm or down my back into a side pocket.

The bass is really deep for something this tiny and really quite prominent, in my opinion. But I like that!

Using the gels, the X10 has to be one of the most comfortable IEMs and the easiest to insert and seat for proper sound and isolation.

I have the UM3X also, and, with X10 gels, they are hard to get just right and don't quite have the same level of comfort, interestingly enough. I really have to fiddle around with the UM3Xs that's why I often just use the X10s although they're not as good sounding as the UM3X to me.

Jun 19, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #9 of 9
It's odd but one of the things I've never had a problem with with the X10 is microphonics. I heard all the stories here about how bad they are with regards to microphonics and I was prepared to dread it when I bought them but have yet to be really bothered by them. I honestly feel that my JVC Air Cushions had more microphonics when in motion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back