Klipsch & work-outs
Apr 25, 2008 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Solan

500+ Head-Fier
How do the different models of Klipsch perform as work-out headphones? I am thinking primarily the kind of work-out where you need a diversion: 1+ hrs of walking on an inclined treadmill, or fast paced walking outdoors, or jogging, or maybe biking or rowing on a Concept II.

The issues I am particularly interested in are
1. impact of sweat on the listening and wearing experience
2. insulation against noise from treadmill or rowing machine (or traffic)
3. need to crank up volume to hear clearly (related to point above), but especially for speech from movies; if speech is not intelligible, I am bound to crank up volume!
4. durability 1: fatigue, since the wire will be swinging back and forth under rhythmic movement
5. durability 2: strength, since accidents like snag do happen.

Apr 26, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 12
I use my Custom-1s for this and they do fine. Isolation is good if you don't want to hear the machines and I don't have to turn it up anymore than normal. The cord has a cinch on it so you can pull it tight. This cuts out microphonics and means you don't have to worry about it swaying around. Haven't noticed any problems with sweating, and they seem durable enough, just be careful and they should last. I like them for workouts (and my other IEM needs).

May 8, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 12
Thank you, Jon. I assume that extends to Custom 2&3 as well. How about the Image? On my profile pic you can see the kind of set-up I am considering: treadmill (noisy), watching movie out of a laptop (Mac), and cord suspended between me and Mac.

May 8, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I'm not sure whether this is appropriate for the Klipsch section of the forums, but I've tried both the Image and the Custom-3, and neither of them are as good exercise headphones as the Westone UM2. The Klipsch earphones both have very microphonic cords, whereas the Westones produce almost no microphonics. If you've never exercised with in-ears before, trust me, this is really important.

Aside from that, the UM2 passes all of your bullet points with flying colors.

May 8, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 12
The Image has no filter what means that the sweat will go inside the driver, so this for workout is IMO ruled out...

May 9, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks, guys. It was the Image that I was primarily interested in, for sheer coolness factor. But not for sweaty work-outs, then. Whether the answers above fit this forum? Probably, since I think Klipsch would hate to have a load of angry customers waving their sweaty and defunct Images at them. Every product has its target use, and this has helped define it for Klipsch.

Klipsch guys: See you later, for another occasion.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Image has no filter what means that the sweat will go inside the driver, so this for workout is IMO ruled out...

Sorry Sovkiller but you are incorrect.

All our Klipsch PM's have dampers (filters) on the output of the armature. They are set back farther than some competitors which is why you may have come to this conclusion. With the damper position back farther this means wax will not clogthem as easily. Also we test all our models for chemical sweat testing so they will work just fine for workouts. I use them every day that I work out.

Feb 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, Jon. I assume that extends to Custom 2&3 as well. How about the Image? On my profile pic you can see the kind of set-up I am considering: treadmill (noisy), watching movie out of a laptop (Mac), and cord suspended between me and Mac.

I don't think that the image models (S2, S4, X5, X10) is good for workouts, I tried the S2, S4 and I own the X10. The X10 is really comfortable, buy it falls out very very easily.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by yliu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that the image models (S2, S4, X5, X10) is good for workouts, I tried the S2, S4 and I own the X10. The X10 is really comfortable, buy it falls out very very easily.

I love my x10's, so I'm gonna have them re-shelled into customs so I can rock out with them at the gym and not worry about sweat/falling out. Sadly they are succumbing to the dreaded rubber breaking so I figured it'll be a win-win to reshell them (since i'm out of warranty).

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #10 of 12
My S4's (worn with cord over the ears) are great for workouts. I can't imagine running with them, but they work fine for everything else.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by OPTiK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my x10's, so I'm gonna have them re-shelled into customs so I can rock out with them at the gym and not worry about sweat/falling out. Sadly they are succumbing to the dreaded rubber breaking so I figured it'll be a win-win to reshell them (since i'm out of warranty).

Eh?...."reshelled"?....How would you do that?

Edit: Nevermind -- I found thread that discusses this.
Let us know how it works out!

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 12
I have worn the Image (original one) and Ety ER6i running, biking and doing the gym thing. Both are extremely light and have light weight cords. My favorite is the iPod clip shuffle on the hat with the cord wound around it straight to the ears.

I find lack of inertia with these very light mass IEMs to stay in the ear fairly well. Of course they will need to be adjusted, but at least they don't thrash around. They stay in better if the cord itself is not waving around in rhythm with your exercise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back