Klipsch S4i worth $79?
Nov 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

franktetank966

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am new to the boards and have been searching for a while to find out the thoughts of the Klipsch S4i with microphone. Overall it seems like people have very mixed feeling about these headphones. I am looking for headphone to work with VoiceControl and that have great sound. I picked up the Klipsch's at best buy yesterday for $79.99 Do y'all think at that price they are worthwhile? Do you have any other recommendations for in-ear headphones that may be less expensive?

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 44
What type of sound are you looking for? Which music do you listen to? 

I own the S4i and I like them. If you're looking for a lot of bass, you'll like them, but the mids/highs aren't as good. I listen to electronic music mostly and I really enjoy them for this type of music.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 44

Quote:
What type of sound are you looking for? Which music do you listen to? 

I own the S4i and I like them. If you're looking for a lot of bass, you'll like them, but the mids/highs aren't as good. I listen to electronic music mostly and I really enjoy them for this type of music.

I listen to some electronic/bass music. I mainly listen to alt. rock, classic rock such as Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, Black Keys, Steve Miller Band, and Paul Simon. What would be your suggestions? 

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 44

Quote:
I listen to some electronic/bass music. I mainly listen to alt. rock, classic rock such as Mumford and Sons, Coldplay, Black Keys, Steve Miller Band, and Paul Simon. What would be your suggestions? 

I think that the S4s do better with electronic music; I like them for drum'n'bass. I think they don't do as well with rock or acoustic music because they're too "cold" sounding, and the midrange isn't great. They're not bad with rock, that's just not where they absolutely shine.

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 44
The Brainwavz M4 are amazing for the price and they offers extended highs with deep punchy bass and great midrange details(better sounding than S4i).

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 44

Quote:
I think that the S4s do better with electronic music; I like them for drum'n'bass. I think they don't do as well with rock or acoustic music because they're too "cold" sounding, and the midrange isn't great. They're not bad with rock, that's just not where they absolutely shine.

What's your recommendation then for rock music? I am listening to these S4i's now and they sound great, so much better than my iBeats...But I am new to this whole sound thing so please list some recommendations. Am I overpaying, or are these a good value at $79.99? 

BTW y'all are definitely right about these not being great headphones for rock. I am listening to electronic/bass heavy music and  their awesome and they don't do much for rock. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 44
Personally I would not bother with these earphones even though I have only heard them once, and instead would take a look at other earphones that are much better and in the same price range.

If you must have a microphone, there are some earphones that you should read up on in Joker's thread. He covers the basic gist of the sound for many in-ear monitors (IEMs) or in-ear earphones, and includes a very handy summary table near the bottom of the page.

Joker's Multi-IEM thread.

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 44
I've had the s4. I thought the bass was muddy and the mids weren't really impressive at all. That said, I wouldn't say they're bad IMO, just not really that great as people have made them out to be.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 44
Considering s5i was only $60 at tigerdirect black friday, s4i is not worth 79.

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 44
What are y'alls recommendations then? I've read Jokers blog and he suggests RE0's but the other reviews I've read online have been extremely mixed. I enjoy listening to rock so what do y'all think I should go for under $80

Nov 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 44
I echo the sentiment that the S4/S4i are pretty bad in today's market. I would feel bad paying $30 for them. They're too harsh and thin-sounding.

As for what to get instead, it all depends. Are you a young kid who wants BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS BASS just like wanting to eat candy and ice cream for every meal, or would you prefer to hear all the details that go into the music you listen to? If it's the former, then the RE0 will not suit. But if you want to hear amazing details, clarity, thick texture, then the RE0 are a fine choice.

Quote:
What are y'alls recommendations then? I've read Jokers blog and he suggests RE0's but the other reviews I've read online have been extremely mixed. I enjoy listening to rock so what do y'all think I should go for under $80

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 44
No not at all. A driver is the mechanism inside the earpiece that produces the sound; the speaker. The audio jack/plug on the RE0 that goes into your iPod is 3.5mm just like every other portable-minded headphone/earphone.

Quote:
In order to get the REO to work with my iPod wouldn't I have to purchase an adapter since they are 9mm driver instead of the 3.5mm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back