Klipsch S4 vs. SENNHEISER CX 300-II - Anything else $50-$80 really... (Please help! =O)
May 24, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 27
Though newegg and amazon are good, I wouldn't say that they offer the best price available. First you should have some kind of budget limit, then it's up to your music preference, as in not just the type, but also the sound signature. The first two links given by KLS should be very helpful, although at this price range, the choices are abundant, and most sound pretty good. What I can say for sure is that the CX-300 is quite a boomy beast, from my experience with them. ClieOS and Ijokerl's advice should be given more consideration, as they have experience with tonnes of earphones.

May 24, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
You're the first to mention it I think and I can't even find a trace of it anywhere...  Like seriously, what is it?  I've never heard of it nor can I find it searching Amazon or Google Shopping.   
Either way, yeah, it's not on my list.  Lol, it's getting too long >.<

They were mentioned by dfrost in post #5. Run a search across head-fi and at least three reviews should pop up. They're also included in my review thread, which you were linked to by KLS in post #2. They're available from ebay or, if you're willing to wait, from mp4nation.net as the Brainwavz M2. 

May 24, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
Though newegg and amazon are good, I wouldn't say that they offer the best price available. First you should have some kind of budget limit, then it's up to your music preference, as in not just the type, but also the sound signature. The first two links given by KLS should be very helpful, although at this price range, the choices are abundant, and most sound pretty good. What I can say for sure is that the CX-300 is quite a boomy beast, from my experience with them. ClieOS and Ijokerl's advice should be given more consideration, as they have experience with tonnes of earphones.

Yup, I've looked at those two links.  They were helpful.  I also tried the CX-300 just recently and they indeed were boomy, as I also mentioned that they likely were in comparison to Sennheiser CX95's which I listed. 

Maybe the description wasn't good enough but I pretty much said the budget limit and what I'm looking for. 

An instance: in terms of the differences between the RE0 and the Thinksound Rain that I've read, I'd take the Rain due to preference and the type of sound exhibited by the Cowon player. 

Ijokerl's advice I did look at, just like everyone's - I just couldn't find the headphones.

Quote:
They were mentioned by dfrost in post #5. Run a search across head-fi and at least three reviews should pop up. They're also included in my review thread, which you were linked to by KLS in post #2. They're available from ebay or, if you're willing to wait, from mp4nation.net as the Brainwavz M2. 

Oh yes!  I remember searching for it same as I did now, and not finding them, and considering all the other suggestions at the time, I just ignored them.  I figured if it's so unavailable, it can't possibly be too great.  But, considering your experience and such, I wouldn't doubt you.  (I indeed found reviews on here of those headphones while searching; the lack of availability just threw me off.)

A few things I'm confused about though is... well, the Brainwavz M2..  That's the same thing?
blink.gif
   Also, I'm wondering if you recommend this IEM pair over all the others mentioned.  You mention it because it best suits what I described I'm looking for?  Like, I sorta know where each pair stands but obviously, not this one, so just like in short, they're?..

May 25, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
A few things I'm confused about though is... well, the Brainwavz M2..  That's the same thing?
blink.gif
   Also, I'm wondering if you recommend this IEM pair over all the others mentioned.  You mention it because it best suits what I described I'm looking for?  Like, I sorta know where each pair stands but obviously, not this one, so just like in short, they're?..

Yes, I mentioned them because they sound like what you're looking for and don't break the bank. For all intents and purposes ViSang R03 == Brainwavz M2. The M2 uses a different 3.5mm plug (angled instead of straight) and has a different accessory pack. 

A few threads to look at:

ViSang R03 Review (mine)
ViSang R03 Review (mark's)
My Take: ViSang R03 (by yipcanjo)
[Review] Brainwavz M2 (by ClieOS) - many impressions by other members on pages 1 & 2

May 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
Yes, I mentioned them because they sound like what you're looking for and don't break the bank. For all intents and purposes ViSang R03 == Brainwavz M2. The M2 uses a different 3.5mm plug (angled instead of straight) and has a different accessory pack. 

A few threads to look at:

ViSang R03 Review (mine)
ViSang R03 Review (mark's)
My Take: ViSang R03 (by yipcanjo)
[Review] Brainwavz M2 (by ClieOS) - many impressions by other members on pages 1 & 2

Exactly the reviews I was just looking at :D  Thank you.  I haven't finished reading them yet and therefore obviously haven't made a decision.  I'll report back when I do.  Hopefully  my impressions will be even better than that of the RE0, and furthermore, of the Thinksound Rain.  Plus, these are even cheaper so it'd be cool. 

I wouldn't be surprised if something largely off market ends up being the best.  Everything I'm getting seems to be ending up of the least know variety.  Cowon, and now possibly these XD

May 25, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #22 of 27
Alright, so I read the reviews.  Of course they seem great.  For some reason I can't shake the fact that some of the others there might be better.  I can ask a very direct question though in the sense that I mean. 

Are any of the above mentioned headphones EVEN MORE natural/warm/clear sounding?  Considering my player, I think warmth is most important, so I'm basically trying to get a mental image of like, for example

ViSang R03:
Warmth- X (1-10)
Natural Sound- X (1-10)
Clarity- X (1-10)

Thinksound Rain:
Warmth- X
Natural Sound- X
Clairty- X

etc... 

So based on the reviews, those two seem similar.  So whichever similar ones break through with the most points over in those three categories, where the value of each 1 for warmth would probably be like 1.5, that's what I'd choose. 

I think it's down to the final 5 (vs. 8):
1) Thinksound Rain 
2) Maximo iM-590 
3) Soundmagic PL50
4) Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 
5) Brainwavz M2 (ViSang R03)

If any of those can very obviously be eliminated due to what it would seem I'm looking for, that would be great. 

-Thank you guys.  Sorry that it's all I can offer.  Does it help that it's sincere? :)

May 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #23 of 27
If warmth is what you're after the UE220s win. But on the grand scale they are trash (compared to the others). In terms of warmth it would be:

UE220 > R03 >> Rain > PL50 >> iM-590

Overall SQ (for me):

R03 >= Rain > PL50 > iM-590 >> UE220

May 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM Post #24 of 27

Quote:
If warmth is what you're after the UE220s win. But on the grand scale they are trash (compared to the others). In terms of warmth it would be:

UE220 > R03 >> Rain > PL50 >> iM-590

Overall SQ (for me):

R03 >= Rain > PL50 > iM-590 >> UE220

So your recommendation seems to have been spot on from the beginning then.  If the R03's are second on the list for warmth but seem to be higher quality in general, of course that'd be my choice.  That looks right - my guts tell me it is and I simply trust you. 

Even if overall SQ was 100% equal to the Rain, the ViSang's are at least a little warmer so, they're my choice.  Thanks a lot! 
I'm guessing they're one of, if not your absolute favorite IEM headphones for under $100.  That's great considering they're like $55 and better than/arguably at least within the same scope of all other $60-$100 phones like the ones I've listed.

EDIT: One thing I am curious about..  From what I understand, I think you recommend the T-400's with these.  Since the treble doesn't soar, wouldn't that make it from nice and natural sounding to pretty much dull?  I was thinking those would only be useful with headphones that have at least slightly bright or sibilant treble. I understand everything else might be better but would it be worth the sacrifice in this case?

May 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 27
BTW I ordered the Brainwavz M2's and evidently the presale ends this friday. Price goes up after then. Don't know how reliable this 'mp4nation' is though, they seem to keep delaying the end of the presale..

May 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:
BTW I ordered the Brainwavz M2's and evidently the presale ends this friday. Price goes up after then. Don't know how reliable this 'mp4nation' is though, they seem to keep delaying the end of the presale..

Yup, I figured as much, since it says that they should ship some time this week or Monday of next week ("last week of May").  I already ordered them too, right after I made the previous post.  I was afraid the pre-sale would end soon and I was pretty convinced at that point.  Just had a few of the mentioned remaining questions...

May 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #27 of 27
MP4nation is reliable in the fact that you will get them eventually. They key word being eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back