Klipsch S4 vs Monster Turbine
Jul 11, 2011 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

McLeavage

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am currently looking for my first IEM. It is a close call between the Klipsch and Monster, it looks like the metal build quality is superior on the Monsters but I have heard that the sound quality is very much the same if not better with the Klipsch.

I am able to purchase the Klipsch for $60 inc. postage off of Amazon and the Monster for $100 inc. postage respectively.

Which would you trusted audiophiles recommend for a good starting IEM?
I currently own ATH-M50, but am looking for something with more portability and the possibility to go skateboarding with some IEMs in.

All comments appreiciated, Thanks!

Jul 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 12
Monsters have durability issues, and it is pretty common.
S4s are good
But

If I were you I would get the Brainwavz M2's
They are way better than the S4s imo, and comes with more accessories etc.
Price is cheaper as well

M2s sound like $100-$150 phones, and they are built extremely well

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 12
I've had both, definitely preferred the S4 over the original Turbines.  The quality control on the turbines seemed very lax (as in the housing started becoming unglued quickly, and no they were not fakes, bought them straight from Best Buy).  Also, I remember the timbre sounding unconvincing and very plastic sounding to me.  I'm more of an analytical listener type (ER4S, K701s, etc) and I was searching for something different and "fun," but I just didn't find the Turbines "fun."  

I think the S4's had a better Timbre characteristic, and that plastic sounding quality wasn't like in the Turbines (from what I remember now).  Also, they are very lightweight, and one of those where you forget you're even listening to them because they're so comfortable. 

Another consideration might be Bose IE2.  The reason I bring them up is because they're open (non-isolating) and allow you to hear whats going on around you, while pushing out comparable sound quality to the others.  Also, they even more "forget they're there" than the S4s (since they're non-isolating), you can have conversations with them in, and they are very secure once on.  These have replaced my portapros for running and doing outdoor activity, and unless I'm doing critical listening or need isolation, they're my go to pair.       

BTW - you can get refurbished turbines for $49 on Monsters outlet store, if that's the route you wanna go. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 12
The S4's are an excellent choice and are very comfortable. They can also be picked up for a decent price on eBay. However, they are quite fragile so keep that in mind.

Jul 12, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Hi,
I own both of these headphones, both bought refurbished from the manufacturer.

Sound:
The have a fairly similar sound quality, and are both bass heavy. Although the Monsters are deeper, the difference is fairly slight. It's tangible, but not $40 worth of extra bass.

Comfort:
Monsters are considerably less pleasant to wear than the s4, which I can keep in my head indefinitely. Other companies should adopt the oval ear piece. The Monster refurbs didn't come with many replacement tips, and I actually ended up using the large set from my klipsch.

Quality:
These were both refurbs, so YMMV, but the Monsters broke (one phone shorted out) within two months. The Klipsch eventually succumbed to the same issue, but only after 6 months+ of CONSTANT use. The monster's 3.5mm jack is fairly terrible, while the Klipsch's are just average.

Go with the s4. Great standard/on the go IEM.

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 12
For portable use I definitely suggest the Klipschs. The Monsters will barely hang in your ear during walking, let alone skateboarding. The Klipschs stay in the ear very well, provided the oval gels work for you (I know this is an issue for some people as the ovals don't conform to their ears, or are too small). Please note that the Klipschs have a hard "bite" to their sound and are prone to sibilance, even after significant burn-in. If you are sensitive to sibilance, I'd stay away from the Klipschs like the plague. The Monsters, on the other hand, are fairly smooth. I feel that the Monsters are a somewhat more detailed as well.

Your call in the end. It's mostly a matter of better sound quality (Monsters) vs more portability (Klipschs).

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 12
The sibilance issue on the S4 is not a universal problem.  I've been using the S4's for two years and sibilance has never been on my list of complaints.  I would argue that the S4 sound quality is much better than the Turbines, which I've also had in the past.  As always, everyone hears differently. 

Jul 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Actually yes what glove4 said is true. I think the sibilance issue is related to fit and such. When I had the S4s, I noticed that the sibilance and bite would disappear if I pushed them as deep as possible into my ears, but unfortunately they wouldn't stay in that position no matter which tips I used.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 12
I'd go with the Turbines personally. I've owned both. The S4 was sibilant and the bass seemed to swallow up the lower midrange. The Turbines do have some durability issues, however. The S4 is also lighter so it may stay in a bit better than the Turbine.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 12
While I have not heard the turbines I have owned the s4s for a while now.  The sound quality is great for their price range.  I think they are the best value earbuds you can buy.  I bought them because of the insane amount of incredible reviews across the internet and after hearing them my brother immediately ordered some.  And Klipsch has an awesome warranty and customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back