Klipsch S4 Reference: Opinions/Reviews ?
May 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

steelgtr

100+ Head-Fier
I found these on sale for $54.50/shipped. I'm looking for natural punchy bass and smooth highs. The $7.00 Monoprice IEM's didn't live up to the hype for me (at any price)

Will I be happy with these or are there other $50 IEM's that would fit my needs?

thx

bob

May 1, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
I found these on sale for $54.50/shipped. I'm looking for natural punchy bass and smooth highs. The $7.00 Monoprice IEM's didn't live up to the hype for me (at any price)

Will I be happy with these or are there other $50 IEM's that would fit my needs?

thx

bob

I owned the original S4s for several years, mainly for gym or commuting use.  It had a lot of bass, a large soundstage, and was not harsh on treble.  It was perfect for the gym being light-weight, easy to fit, but the cord was annoying, slipping off often.  You may find the cord cheap even for every day use.  

So when the left ear went out, I decided to go for the Reference S4.  

The Reference is a lot brighter sounding, fatiguing, and I had to ultimately go with the phonak PFE 012.  It did have a nice bass too, punchier than the S4.  
I feel the overall sound got tuned to a V shape, where the originals lacked in treble, better for my needs.  If you have a lot of electronic, stay away from the Reference as you will experience fatigue.  

It may be that the Reference is not quite "burned in" as I had so much time on the S4, but I don't think so.  

Check out the PFE 012 as it's a huge step up.  It will run you $99-125 but it's WELL worth the extra money.  And it is NOT shy on bass.

May 1, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I owned the original S4s for several years, mainly for gym or commuting use.  It had a lot of bass, a large soundstage, and was not harsh on treble.  It was perfect for the gym being light-weight, easy to fit, but the cord was annoying, slipping off often.  You may find the cord cheap even for every day use.  

So when the left ear went out, I decided to go for the Reference S4.  

The Reference is a lot brighter sounding, fatiguing, and I had to ultimately go with the phonak PFE 012.  It did have a nice bass too, punchier than the S4.  
I feel the overall sound got tuned to a V shape, where the originals lacked in treble, better for my needs.  If you have a lot of electronic, stay away from the Reference as you will experience fatigue.  

It may be that the Reference is not quite "burned in" as I had so much time on the S4, but I don't think so.  

Check out the PFE 012 as it's a huge step up.  It will run you $99-125 but it's WELL worth the extra money.  And it is NOT shy on bass.

Thanks, Main

Are these them?

http://www.amazon.com/Aud%C3%A9o-Perfect-Bass-Earphones-Black/dp/B003V9QDXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335918086&sr=8-1

bob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back