Klipsch R6i II
Sep 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HiWire

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like Amazon.com has listed these to arrive this week (they aren't shown on Klipsch's web site yet), priced at about $80:

Black: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R6i-II-Headphone-Black/dp/B073WYKYKH/
White: https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R6i-II-Headphone-White/dp/B073WXV1L6/

I doubt they've made any major changes other than the colors, but I'm hoping they have tuned the drivers for a flatter response and the cable terminations to be more durable. My previous set of Klipsch S4i headphones lasted 7 years, so I think it's possible for them to survive portable use. I need a set of inexpensive headphones for my phone and my iPod Shuffle.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Some of the online reviews indicate an improvement in sound, so I'll pick up a pair and review them when they become available here.

Klipsch still haven't updated their website – I'm not sure what they're waiting for.

Oct 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 8
Klipsch are great starter IEMs, but, as I did for myself, I would recommend someone to use those as a calibration IEM to pick a second set that matches their tastes in a closer fashion.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I'll probably use them for my phone calls, mostly. I find the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears that I bought slightly less convenient than my old pair of Klipsch S4i due to their design (L-jack vs. straight jack plug).

Jun 7, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 8
Klipsch finally updated their website with product information: http://www.klipsch.ca/products/r6i-ii-headphones

They don't mention any specific improvements over the previous version.

I think I chose right with the Sennheiser HD1. They're more expensive than the Klipsch R6i II, but I don't think the Klipsch are capable of the kind of accuracy the Sennheisers convey. The Sennheiser dynamic lineup of in-ear headphones goes all the way up to the IE800 S ($1,000+), while the R6i is the only dynamic in Klipsch's in-ear lineup. Materials, fit and finish are also superior on the Sennheisers.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:08 AM Post #7 of 8
Another positive review at TechRadar: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/klipsch-r6i-ii-in-ear-headphones

One of the biggest problems with these earbuds is their high export price and the second is availability. As the TechRadar review mentions, they sell for a little over $50 USD in the US, but they are often much more expensive in other regions. They are practically impossible to find in some places, and I've seen their availability disappear for weeks on Amazon. The Sennheiser HD1 in-ears used to be over $100, but they were recently on sale for about $60 for months on Amazon for most of the holiday season.

The Alessandro MS-1 has been my reference under-$100 headphone for years and my Sennheiser HD1 compare very favorably against them – they are similar in resolution and soundstage, with slightly extended highs from the Sennheisers. Both are also easy to drive with portable players. I also have an old pair of Koss Sportapros – they are not at the same level, with boomy bass and less resolution, but provide a good value at the $20 level. The Koss Porta Pro are probably a better bet, with less ear and temple pressure at a slightly higher price of around $30 online.

Oct 24, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 8
I finally got a pair of R6i II for myself. They're really hard to find now, so Klipsch might be discontinuing them or prepping for another production run. The regular R6 II (without the iPhone controls) are still available.

Out of the box, they sounded pretty rough when playing from my iPod Shuffle 3G. I put Comply foam tips on them right away, so I haven't tried the stock silicone oval tips.

After a day of listening, they seem to be improving. Bass isn't as overtly boosted as on the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ears, but it's deep and punchy. These headphones excel at midrange clarity. The overall sound signature seems to be forward and engaging. Dialogue and lyrics are particularly clear – I was able to make out some lyrics and background sounds that were muddier on other headphones. Treble performance is also excellent – it sounds accurate without being irritating or having enhanced "crystal-clear highs" that appeal to some audiophiles. They don't have as much of a soundstage for imaging as the Momentums.

They stick out of my ears a bit more than the Momentums and I haven't tested the microphone yet. The round cable jacket is noticeably thinner than the flat one on the Sennheisers and the 3-button control on the left cable seems boxier and bulkier than it needs to be (the slim control on the old Klipsch S4i was excellent). Fit and finish on the plastic earbuds themselves is excellent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back