Klipsch ProMedia replacement
Sep 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tharkun

New Head-Fier
My Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers just gave in and I need a replacement. I was considering switching them out anyway, as I've never been quite happy with the sound. The Logitech z2000 I have at home sounds better.

I do not have a fixed budget, it depends on how big the improvement is. The speakers will be in my dorm and the source is my MacBook Pro. I spent equal time on movies and music.

The Logitech Z-2300 cost 100$

Audioengine 5 with a Velodyne Vx-10 cost about 475$

Is the difference worth it? Are there other alternatives in between?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tharkûn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers just gave in and I need a replacement. I was considering switching them out anyway, as I've never been quite happy with the sound. The Logitech z2000 I have at home sounds better.

I do not have a fixed budget, it depends on how big the improvement is. The speakers will be in my dorm and the source is my MacBook Pro. I spent equal time on movies and music.

The Logitech Z-2300 cost 100$

Audioengine 5 with a Velodyne Vx-10 cost about 475$

Is the difference worth it? Are there other alternatives in between?

Thanks in advance.

Just went through the same thing after my logitechs failed then my klipsch ifi's . Ended up going with the a5's . Reason being the company is small so support is easy incase something happens and I felt for what others offered it either wasnt worth it , or they did not offer enough ( looked at a crap load of the sub 600 group including used items ).

I had watched fleabay things for a couple weeks and just figured out that I should just order and ask questions later.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 9
KEF iQ1 with either the Trends Audio or Firestone T-amp would be my choice.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 9
My ProMedia's just died, as well. I just bought the Blue Sky eXo 2.1 system. They're monitors, so as good as they sound, I still think I need to get used to them compared to the Klipsch. Actually, I stumbled upon this thread after coming here to post and ask: My Klipsch 2.1 system died, and replaced it with the Blue Sky eXo 2.1 system. Was this the best, slight upgrade, or should I have gone with a different system that aren't monitors?

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 9
I'll followup with some more info:

I think the Blue Sky's are a bit too flat for my purposes. I just ordered the A5s, and I'm gonna do a comparison. I'm really looking for something closer to the Klipsch as far as a forward, warm sound, but with some extra clarity and accuracy. Can anyone speak to the A5s as far as these characteristics go? I'll be using these primarily with a Macbook, a Cowon X5, and then just some console gaming. Thanks!

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 9
Tharkun, I just got my Audioengine 5s yesterday, and so far I have to say they're excellent. I'm not missing the subwoofer much, though maybe for games it'd be nice to have that little extra physical "boom" for explosions and such. I can see adding a sub later, but otherwise, I'm extremely impressed with how nice these sound. I tried the Blue Sky eXo 2.1 system, and seeing as they're studio monitors, they sounded far too flat and it seemed like a downgrade from the Klipsch.

Oct 6, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 9
If you like the Klipsch horn loaded sound, their bookshelf speakers are very good IMO, mainly the Refence Series. I have a couple of RB-35s paired with a Trends TA-10.1 and the sound quality is very very good, especially for near field listening. Their computer speakers are nothing like their bookshelves. The bookshelves have an excellent soundstage, imaging, smooth highs, and very tight bass. I demoed a new pair of Paradigm Titans, and thought they sounded a bit lifeless compared to the Reference Klipsches. Maybe Im a sucker for horn loaded speakers, but they sure sound good to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back