Klipsch Promedia 5.1 sub died, speakers still fine, what can I get now?
Apr 14, 2011 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Shuk

New Head-Fier
So I turned on my system and heard a loud high pitched noise coming out of the speakers. After some googling, I found out that the answer was to change the capacitors. However, me being a noob at soldering, I "fixed" it up, plugged it in, and heard crackling, popping, and fireworks. Suffice to say, the whole amp unit on my Promedia 5.1 Ultras is dead.

I have the sub enclosure and the satellites, which I still want to use. Is there anywhere I can get a subwoofer/amp combo that uses the typical speaker wire connection? I'd go for the logitech Z5500 speaker/amp, but it doesn't use speaker wire. Thanks for any help.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
So I turned on my system and heard a loud high pitched noise coming out of the speakers. After some googling, I found out that the answer was to change the capacitors. However, me being a noob at soldering, I "fixed" it up, plugged it in, and heard crackling, popping, and fireworks. Suffice to say, the whole amp unit on my Promedia 5.1 Ultras is dead.

I have the sub enclosure and the satellites, which I still want to use. Is there anywhere I can get a subwoofer/amp combo that uses the typical speaker wire connection? I'd go for the logitech Z5500 speaker/amp, but it doesn't use speaker wire. Thanks for any help.

You maybe able to find an old sub with working electronics off eBay.  I was in a similar situation with an old set of Logitechs and ended up getting a reciever like JRG suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back