Klipsch Promedia 2.1's as a headamp?
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #16 of 22
I currently run my speakers through a firewire Griffin Firewave. Would this be considered an adequate DAC? I mean, it avoids using my powerbook's sound card at all. If I hooked up a little amp to that would I be in business?

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #17 of 22
Weird, it's for six channel listening on a mac. It doesn't say anything on the product page but I would assume if you started playing 2 channel music, it would play the 2 channel music out of the L/R jack. God knows the sound quality, it's really hard to say. I doubt the output stage of it is very sophisticated, so it will be like a very low end DAC (since it goes for $30-50).

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 22
I've successfully gotten stereo sound out of it. The software included allows you to specify your speaker setup (2.1, 4.1, 5.1). It originally retailed for $100 but is an end-of-life item. Isn't this acceptable? With an amp could I expect decent sq?

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #19 of 22
You should look into Hotaudio40's USB DAC/Amp. He sells them on eBay for around $50. However, from my experience, you can pretty much get full enjoyment out of D2000 without an amp. I'd just enjoy the D2000 for a while without an amp, and then decide if you'd really want one or not down the road...

Jan 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should look into Hotaudio40's USB DAC/Amp. He sells them on eBay for around $50. However, from my experience, you can pretty much get full enjoyment out of D2000 without an amp. I'd just enjoy the D2000 for a while without an amp, and then decide if you'd really want one or not down the road...

For me, I couldn't get full enjoyment out of the D2000 simply because it has recessed mids which an amp helps a lot among other things.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #21 of 22
I also own the Klipsch 2.1's and I am not impressed with the headphone out at all. Currently I am using my Yamaha RXV1400 for headphone output, but I am in the market for a tube amp.

Anyway, the Promedia headphone out is really not very good compared to a dedicated amp, even if you just get a portable amp it would be better than the Promedia output.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 22
hmm well, if forced to look at somthing under 100$, i'd probably go with the hotaudio stuff on ebay, one of the units with both USB and AMP, I think there is some for around 80$. Or, possibly a Stock Zero, if you can source one for around 100$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back