klipsch promedia 2.1 vs logitech z2300
May 27, 2007 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

scottymac

Head-Fier
logitech z2300
klipsch promedia 2.1

i can't decide which speaker system to get. these will be for listening to mp3s on my computer. both are about the same price on amazon. i listen primarily to rock/metal. the klipsch seems more powerful, but they also dont have a wired remote and so turning the volume/other controls might be a hassle (the power switch is on the back of the sub). the logitech z2300 have really good bass, and nice highs but i've read that the midrange is a problem.

the big thing i'm looking for though is bass that is not distorted/rumbly all the time. something that is strong and punchy. right now i have a creative inspire t5400 5.1 system, the bass is absolutely horrible. it's very distorted and with many songs it drowns out the rest of the frequencies.

also, what is the difference between the promedia 2.1 and the promedia a-gmx 2.1?

*and no, i am not getting bookshelf speakers instead

May 27, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 18
i have the z2200. it's nice. the bass is there and mids are clear. for movies, it's fantastic. watching band of brothers with it, it's a joy. dont know how much of an improvement the z2300 is, if it's the same, i would pick z2200.

never heard the klipsch tho. but i think either system will be a huge improvement over your current creative setup. those are pretty bad and weak.

May 27, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #4 of 18
I have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they're surprisingly good - better than I expected. There's a sub control the balance the sub to the satellites, and those satellites have some serious power. They can get insanely loud of that's your thing.

I guess my take was Klipsch is a long standing producer of fine audio gear, whereas Logitech isn't. They didn't skimp on this system one bit, search for the dozens of five-star reviews online if you need more reassurance.

I currently have hooked up my DAC to the Klipsch, so I have close to $1000 worth of source gear going into $70 speakers. They sound great - there's a lot of potential in these speakers. Even my wife noticed the difference from the DAC vs. the EMU-0404 analog out (one of the better analog outs too). Good to know these speakers have the ability to grow as the source improves - there's a lot of potential behind them.

--Illah

May 27, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 18
I'll second the Klipsch 2.1. I picked these up at work since we got a discount, and I was not disappointed in the least bit. For not having any sub, they are surprisingly good with bass response ( at least for my tastes ) and having the connections on front to run an ipod into and headphones out of them is very convenient for someone like me that doesn't have an amp yet but doesn't want to go out of the ipod headphone jack.

Overall they sound fairly clean, and with a decent EQ setting in iTunes they sound great with most types of music.

May 27, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #6 of 18
I would choose the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1. My friends have these speakers and they are pretty nice... IMO they're probably one of the best "made for PC" speakers. They sound pretty decent as well. As far as the power thing, if you turn the volume knob all the way down it shuts them off, so you don't have to flip the power switch on the sub really i don't think, unless you want to COMPLETELY turn them off.

I actually like my Swans M200s a lot better than the Klipsch 2.1s, however, as they have an absolutely amazing sound, not to mention an awesome midrange. The only thing that you may not like is that they are 2.0, so the bass seems to drop off at about 55hz. You won't get that ultra low, rumbly bass that a subwoofer in a 2.1 provides you, but this also means you won't be masking the other frequencies. Also, you get mids!

most "made for PC" speakers aren't equipped with mids. They have that M-shaped frequency response that seems to be ever-so-popular with gamers and those who watch movies.

but if you had to choose between the 2, i say go with the Klipsch. They're really not that bad.

Quote:

I'll second the Klipsch 2.1. I picked these up at work since we got a discount, and I was not disappointed in the least bit. For not having any sub, they are surprisingly good with bass response

You're referring to the 2.0 setup, not the 2.1. the ".1" indicates the addition of a subwoofer

May 27, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 18
Beyond the Swans you are probably looking at getting into 5" active monitors.I am using some Event Electronics ALP5 monitors with fairly good results.Active monitors can cost into the thousands so computer speakers really have no upper limit.

May 27, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most "made for PC" speakers aren't equipped with mids. They have that M-shaped frequency response that seems to be ever-so-popular with gamers and those who watch movies.

but if you had to choose between the 2, i say go with the Klipsch. They're really not that bad.

My frame of reference(s) for the Klipsch are in my sig, and believe me, these things don't have an 'M' curve nor do they lack in mids. They're really surprisingly good for the price. I often listen on them over my HD650's for the visceral feel of the sound.

My only complaint is the sub can get a little boomy at times, but that's to be expected on pretty much any satellite type system. When the sub is crossing over above 80-100Hz you're going to get that as some low-mid frequencies are routed to the sub making them 'whoomp' when they shouldn't.

--Illah

May 27, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 18
I have the Klipsch 5.1 ultra, if the 2.1 sounds anything like the 5.1u I would highly recommend it.

I wonder why Klipsch regressed so much to remove the 5.1 line.. I know there was problems with the amps but wow, I never thought consumer grade PC speakers could be this good.. I would really hate to replace it with a 2.1 setup
frown.gif

May 27, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 18
+1 Klipsch 2.1

May 28, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #13 of 18
I had the Z-2200s, one side of the amp failed and Logitech replaced the whole system with the Z-2300 being that was now the current model. Less than a year later my Z-2300s failed on one side again and Logitech replaced it with any set of Z-2300s. Given the poor reliability that I experienced, I sold the new replacements without even opening the box.

I currently have Klipsch Promedia Ultras (no woofer) and am happy with the sound. I thought the Logitech 2.1 was too bass heavy anyway.

I can't fault Logitech's warranty though, but after two sets of replacement speakers, it really wasn't wise for me to see how long the 3rd would last.

Oh one more thing if you didn't know, you can buy Klipsch refurbed speakers directly from Klipsch on ebay and a pretty decent discount.

May 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 18
I've listened to both and the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 spanks the Logitech in overall sound quality. HOWEVER, I went thru 2 sets of the Promedias in 6 months. In both cases, the amp in the subwoofer failed. I finally got lucky and on the return of the second set to Newegg, they replied saying they didn't stock it anymore so I got a full refund. I may have just been unlucky, but if you read the Klipsch forum, the quality of these units are being called into question.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back