klipsch promedia 2.1 or audioengine a2?
Nov 29, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

z999

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm looking for a new set of speakers to replace my old generic ones, for the meanwhile it looks like ordering the promedia from the usa - which brings up their price, or buy locally the about equally priced (after shipping and taxes) a2. I'm leaning towards the a2 right now because it's convenient and it means I have local warranty.
Will I miss having the subwoofer with the audioengines? or does their bass satisfy w/o it? My main genre is progressive metal (which means metal, but very technical metal that requires detail in the sound) but I dip in many other genres like 70's rock, alt. rock, and some jazz. One more thing I should mention is that I use my computer to watch TV quite a lot and to play games- with my consideration being 70% music 20% movies and 10% gaming.

Thx, Ziv :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 4
I was in the same situation as you are a month ago, and I settled with the Audio Engine 2. I'm loving it so far. I listen to it every morning when i get up. it's such a great way to start your day. =)

Dec 2, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 4
The A2's have a 2.75" woofer, i wouldn't expect much bass at all, while the pro medias have a seperate 6.5" woofer and 3" midrange drivers , so it would have 10times the amount of bass.

Dec 2, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 4
go with the A2's. while there may be some bass lacking, i think it's sufficient and the A2's are so much more clearer and have more separation than the promedia 2.1 set. i upgraded from the promedia to the A2's about a month ago and I have no regrets whatsoever. imo, the promedia, even when you set the sub to a low volume, is too bassy. with the A2's, as with any other speakers i guess, positioning will be key. i bought the speaker stands from audioengine but it was still a little low, so i just added about an 1" elevation with some wood and the A2's just got that much better.

go for the A2's and if you need you can always add a small sub later on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back