Klipsch Image X5
Nov 27, 2008 at 4:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LordEntropy

Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for new IEMS and I just noticed that Klipsch do the X5. The X10 is too expensive so I was wondering if anyone has anything to say on the X5?

I have found a couple of reviews and they are both positive but would appreciate the views of people on here.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 16
I have not heard the X5. I just recently pulled the trigger for a pair of custom 3's. However, based on what I read; the general consensus seems to be that they are not as bass heavy as the X10. Some say more balanced and detailed because of the bass not being overpowering. So, unless you are a "basshead" or like more oomph in your bottom end for certain genre of music, the x5 will probably do you well. Especially with the current "half off" sale at Klipsch!

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by LWLew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard the X5. I just recently pulled the trigger for a pair of custom 3's. However, based on what I read; the general consensus seems to be that they are not as bass heavy as the X10. Some say more balanced and detailed because of the bass not being overpowering. So, unless you are a "basshead" or like more oomph in your bottom end for certain genre of music, the x5 will probably do you well. Especially with the current "half off" sale at Klipsch!

Bear in mind that this deal only applies to US residents.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #5 of 16
I wouldn't say that the X10 has overpowering bass, or even "basshead" bass. However, I would say that bass is a recognizable presence on the X10 due to the ultimate goal of providing a warm sound signature, and that on the X5 it is probably somewhat recessed in order to bring out a brighter sound signature.

As far as the X5 goes, it probably isn't quite as comfortable as the X10 due to being ever so slightly larger, and I know it doesn't have quite the same warm sound signature as the X10, but it's a fine IEM and will outperform any IEM I'm aware of in the $100-$149 price range (until the sale ends of course).

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Thanks for the comments. It is indeed very sad that the Klipsch sale does not extend to us Limeys, is it me or do we seem to always take it from behind on the price of goods like this in the UK?

So how would these compare maybe to the likes of Q-Jays, Shure SE210, 310, ER-6I.

I am also wondering about durability as reviews have said the cables seem flimsy but sometimes this can be deceiving?

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 16
If you have a friend in the states, they could order a pair of X5's and send them to you for relatively cheap. (I can't imagine shipping a 1-2 pound package to the UK costs all that much)

Your call though.

Nov 27, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a friend in the states, they could order a pair of X5's and send them to you for relatively cheap. (I can't imagine shipping a 1-2 pound package to the UK costs all that much)

Your call though.

True, a friend in America and/or a kind American Head-fier could ship em out to you. Not sure what the chances of gettin hit by customs is though. I know if you label a package as a gift- which that person surely would do for you- its meant to avoid such charges but not sure how reliable this is in reality. Worth checkin out though.

Nov 27, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #9 of 16
I have found a pair for just over £100 UK. My only concern with buying from the US is warranty returns if I have a problem. Sounds like these suckers are very reliable and durable but I wouldn't want to take any chances really.

Nov 29, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #12 of 16
I have NOT experienced this with the X5s I've been using for months.

Reading the comments on the Klipsch forum, the problem seems to be with a small number of the X10s. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any such reports from X5 owners.

That said, the lack of a definitive response from Klipsch on its own site or here is surprising.

What about it, Klipsch administrators?

Does your warranty cover this?

How many owners have reported the problem?

Is it limited to the X10?

Owners and prospective owners have a need to know -- please advise.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 16
[size=medium]Yes...the Klipsch X5 are "that good"[/size]

Currently owning the Klipsch X5, they are my favorite universal IEM... Use them regularly on cross-county airplane travel. They provide a very nice detailed sound, good bass and excellent isolation. The double flange tips are extremely comfortable, and easy to insert / remove. Over the years, I have regularly bought and sold my IEMS, to try different brands / models...but the X5 I plan to keep. Yes, they are that good in my opinion.

Quality / Durability with the Klipsch X5 have been excellent...no problems at all. But, I am an adult, and take care of my purchases. I don't throw them around, or yank them out of my ears via the cords.

Also right up there are my Sleek SA6. Leaving the ports in the standard configuration, they also provide a wonderful detailed sound. In comparison, the X5 sound is just a bit warmer. Also, the X5 double flange provide better sound isolation...

Some of the other IEM's I have owned:

Shure se310
Shure se420
Shure se530
Shure E4C
Etymotic ER-4P
Etymotic 6i
Westone UM2
UE Triple Fi
UE Super-fi 5 Pro
UE Super-fi 5 (new)
Denon
Livewires

For reference, full sized Headphones I appreciate are Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, and Beyerdynamics DT880

Users who are viewing this thread

Back