Klipsch Image X5 vs Klipsch Image S4
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #31 of 67
Hey Cycle, the X5's have a higher impedance than the S4s. As far as I can recall, the S4s seemed to be more easily driven than the X5s.

However, the X5s still have good sensitivity. That combined with decent isolation, makes them easy to use with DAPs and un-amped in general. I have been having a great time with them un-amped when my batteries gave out.

Read threads and posts comparing the sound signatures of these two earphones and make your decision on that, because it is the big difference between these phones. I am more analytical in my listening, and prefer the X5s, but the S4s are my workout/rough use headphones.

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #32 of 67
Just got the klipsh s4 and i am still the burning stage (only 30mins done).

Listened to deadmau5-I remember,Some new trance tracks, the killers-pretender and kings of leon-knocked up.

All i can say is that they are really good for electronic music but somewhat a bit better for soft rock/rock.This might be because i am still in the burn stage.

Very satisfied with them,they where a bit expensive for my tastes but hot damn
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #33 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Cycle, the X5's have a higher impedance than the S4s. As far as I can recall, the S4s seemed to be more easily driven than the X5s.

However, the X5s still have good sensitivity. That combined with decent isolation, makes them easy to use with DAPs and un-amped in general. I have been having a great time with them un-amped when my batteries gave out.

Read threads and posts comparing the sound signatures of these two earphones and make your decision on that, because it is the big difference between these phones. I am more analytical in my listening, and prefer the X5s, but the S4s are my workout/rough use headphones.

Hey ucrags, can you compare them for me in bass/mids/treble and sound stage? Thanks
L3000.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 67
Thanks for the info, ucrags. I was just curious about the sensitivity of the X5's because my S4's are still a bit loud on my ipod/iphone's lowest volume level.

The balanced nature of the X5's sounded appealing, but the S4's have really grown on me. They just have a really natural sound that's textured and very involving. The sound stage has a lot of depth to it. I also like my IM716's for their superb clarity and accuracy, but they're just not as fun to listen to since I got the S4's.

Anyways, I'm also curious to know a little more about how the X5's sound compares to the S4's. Do you notice any difference in isolation or comfort? Klipsch says that the X5's are rated at -26dB and the S4's at only -16dB.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #35 of 67
The S4 comfort is on par with the X5/X10, for sure. As far as iso goes, it depends on the tips of course. If you use the gels, I guess the X5/X10 isolate more, but for me, the S4s offer plenty of isolation with the bi-flanges I use (not gels) and of course are pretty much silent when I attach the Westone UM56 custom sleeves to them (and the sound is even better).

Am very curious about that iPhone volume thing. Seems odd that they need to be on the lowest setting. I am going to hook up the S4s to my wife's Touch 2G and see what happens.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S4 comfort is on par with the X5/X10, for sure. As far as iso goes, it depends on the tips of course. If you use the gels, I guess the X5/X10 isolate more, but for me, the S4s offer plenty of isolation with the bi-flanges I use (not gels) and of course are pretty much silent when I attach the Westone UM56 custom sleeves to them (and the sound is even better).

Am very curious about that iPhone volume thing. Seems odd that they need to be on the lowest setting. I am going to hook up the S4s to my wife's Touch 2G and see what happens.

I might just have sensitive hearing, but in a quiet room the lowest volume is about as loud as I would want to go. Interestingly, I haven't heard anyone else complain about the S4's being too loud. Maybe I'm just overly concerned about preserving my hearing.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by rycon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got the klipsh s4 and i am still the burning stage (only 30mins done).

Listened to deadmau5-I remember,Some new trance tracks, the killers-pretender and kings of leon-knocked up.

All i can say is that they are really good for electronic music but somewhat a bit better for soft rock/rock.This might be because i am still in the burn stage.

Very satisfied with them,they where a bit expensive for my tastes but hot damn
ksc75smile.gif

I was largely disappointed by the S4's out of the box. It was very dark and muddy. But now at 15 hours of burn-in, Electro and Trance are quite impressive on these. The bass response seems to increase in magnitude, but also tighten up. (Though don't get me wrong, these are somewhat boomy) I hope this goes away after I complete 50 hours of burn-in, but either way I stand impressed by these for the price. And you gotta love the comfort; I can listen to these for hours without pain in the ear or fatigue... It was exactly what I was looking for.

Just my 2 cents. Well done Klipsch....
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #39 of 67
Hey guys, I know you want a straight comparison b/w the X5s and the S4s. What are you planning on using these for? What kind of emphasis do you want, and how much are you willing to spend?

The S4s sound warmer, but remember they are dynamic. The X5s have more than enough bass that's very balanced. I can't say which one is better, because it's a matter of preference. I listen to a lot of instrumental, classical, orchestra music. So the X5s balance is good here.

The S4s are more than good enough for the mids, the X5s do bring out more detail. They have more instrument seperation.

X5 win in the highs ( comparing both unammped). The S4s are known to have some sibilance issues, I haven't had this from the X5, they have sparkling highs.

That being said, the S4s are $79 retail, have a rich fairly warm sound and a great soundstage.

The S4s has lower impedance, but both are pretty damn sensitive and easy to drive IMO.

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #40 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by ucrags84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I know you want a straight comparison b/w the X5s and the S4s. What are you planning on using these for? What kind of emphasis do you want, and how much are you willing to spend?

The S4s sound warmer, but remember they are dynamic. The X5s have more than enough bass that's very balanced. I can't say which one is better, because it's a matter of preference. I listen to a lot of instrumental, classical, orchestra music. So the X5s balance is good here.

The S4s are more than good enough for the mids, the X5s do bring out more detail. They have more instrument seperation.

X5 win in the highs ( comparing both unammped). The S4s are known to have some sibilance issues, I haven't had this from the X5, they have sparkling highs.

That being said, the S4s are $79 retail, have a rich fairly warm sound and a great soundstage.

The S4s has lower impedance, but both are pretty damn sensitive and easy to drive IMO.

Can you compare the mids too? And how would you describe the degree of all these difference ?

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #41 of 67
Like someone said, it's like comparing apples and oranges. If you have flaws in your recording, or very compressed music they will not sound as good on the X5 because it will bring out the source flaws. With the S4, a lot of your music collection will still sound good. The X5 is a more analytical phone, hope that helps.

I felt the mids on the S4 were pretty damn good, compared to the X5 they seem a bit hollow because these are more balanced.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #42 of 67
I'm rebuilding my collection with FLAC now so it wouldn't be a problem
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'd prefer the X5's signature better but price, yeah and price. I'm wating for tstarn's opinion of his im616 and might get a pair + spend the other $ with the AD700 hopefully
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #43 of 67
My opinion on the im616s is pretty much laid out on the 616 thread. I think they are a tremendous value, very detailed, but pretty much require a bass EQ boost or an amp with bass boost. In my case, the Sony A818 has an excellent bass EQ, so that's how I am using them, with the custom tips. No need to wait, because that's been my view since I got them. But your chances of snagging them for $17 are pretty much gone, so not sure you can still "get a pair" at that bargain basement price.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #44 of 67
If I get the im616, I think I'm gonna use the Fiio E5 with it, hope that's enough. While I have heard a lot about the 616 having no bass, can you compare their details and sound stage with the S4 for me?

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #45 of 67
Much different IEMs. The S4's bass is it's major feature, though not to its detriment in my view. On the flipside, the 616s/716s are Ety's through and through, so they are not going to please the bass crowd (at least not the one who favors an S4-like experience).

Will the E5 be enough. Sure. It's not the greatest amp for bass boosting, but it is affordable. My E3 does help the 616s, but I prefer the Sony EQ. Seems the E3 amp does kind of muddle the details on the 616s a bit, but that's no shock really.

Soundstage-wise, the S4s are much wider and a richer experience, but soundstage is not a major focus for me with IEMs (after all, I sold the IE7 and IE8, to keep the UM3X).

Again, two very different beasts, but two that for about $100 total I decided to keep because I like both sound sigs, depending on genre, etc. In fact, I wound up with two pair of 616s at that cut rate price as a result. But not selling!

If I had to choose one because of circumstances, I would choose the S4 as the better all-round performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back