Klipsch image x10 Vs. Sleek SA6
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

blackdollie

New Head-Fier
hi folk,any suggestion for me?
i listen mostly heavy metal and rock stuff but i can't decide between klipsch or sleek to buy.
i like the music details especially low bass ,so can anyone give me opinion?
L3000.gif

by the way,i'm using ipod G5.5 and don't wish to buy any amp.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #5 of 28
I might grab a set of these any recommendations on best £.

I know it's off topic (sorry) but how do the X10 compare to the Westone UM2?

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #6 of 28
I'm not sure on how the new Bass + port sounds on the SA6's, I do have an older prototype that I've been using which I believe is somewhat similar.

With my setup I really liked both, the Images a bit better. The Images have very nice full, extended bass but they do lean towards a warmer sound. The SA6's are a little leaner and meaner, great PRaT (pace rhythm and timing), a more upfront midrange and with the + treble tube a more present and extended treble. Bass is quite good but not quite as full as the Images.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjc10212 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might grab a set of these any recommendations on best £.

I know it's off topic (sorry) but how do the X10 compare to the Westone UM2?

X10 is better than UM2. It's more detailed and got the bass more under control yet still retain as much quantity as UM2.

Also, it's sound is more neutral compared with UM2. UM2 has a colored mid-range which is not for everybody (though in some fields it'd be an advantage!)

Well........ IMO, X10 is in the same league as TF10, SE530 and Westone 3.
I actually prefered it better than above three.
(W3 & TF10 sound unnature to me, SE530 is closer to X10 but the highs is my flavor.)

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackdollie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know where to buy klipsch image x10 in sydney area?

Try Head-Fi'er FeedMeTrance. He got the X10s and I think he wasn't going to keep them. But PM him to find out.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure on how the new Bass + port sounds on the SA6's, I do have an older prototype that I've been using which I believe is somewhat similar.

With my setup I really liked both, the Images a bit better. The Images have very nice full, extended bass but they do lean towards a warmer sound. The SA6's are a little leaner and meaner, great PRaT (pace rhythm and timing), a more upfront midrange and with the + treble tube a more present and extended treble. Bass is quite good but not quite as full as the Images.

X2. And if comfort is important, the Images, in my opinion, are the most comfortable IEMs you will ever experience. I use the larger bi-flange, but try all the gels before you decide.

Dec 18, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 28
Ditto on the X10s for comfort. My problem was I needed the double-flange and they were too small. Otherwise I would have kept. Comply said their replacement was same as X10s largest. If they fit (for sure they are very comfortable) you are sure to enjoy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. And if comfort is important, the Images, in my opinion, are the most comfortable IEMs you will ever experience. I use the larger bi-flange, but try all the gels before you decide.

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 28
Before I shipped my X10's off to their new home I briefly tried the large Comply's that come with the W3's and they seemed to work nicely, I would have had to give them more time though.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Head-Fi'er FeedMeTrance. He got the X10s and I think he wasn't going to keep them. But PM him to find out.

hey mate,thanks for letting me know!!
cheers.merry X'mas
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 28
X10 for sure. I did a review of the X10 vs SA6 I'll post here. In the review I was also looking to see what portable amps worked best with these IEM:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict

I no longer have the q-JAYS, so some of the comments below are from memory and having compared them to other IEM that I still have.

KLIPSCH IMAGE X10: I now place both the Klipsch and SA6 above the q-JAYS mainly for reasons of transparency and more crystal clear highs. In my rankings, the Image would be the top universal IEM, just below the Freq Shows. And from memory I would pick the Image over the Triple.fi 10 Pro or stock SE530 as well.

The sound signature of the Image is reminiscent of my Shure SE530 before I turned them into custom shell IEM, but for slightly more treble energy than the Shure. The q-JAYS had a similar smooth sound signature to the SE530 but with less treble than the Shure - which everyone complains is "rolled off" in the treble. But these Image have ALL the bass of the Shure, and better treble, with the same rich smooth mids. It is possible to kill the highs by pushing them into the ears too deep, and the sound balance does change as I move them further out or deeper in. Occasionally I wish they weren't quite so forward with pianos, and that affects the amps rankings with them a little. But like the Livewires, even the amp at the bottom of the list is still an acceptable match so far.

There is also a degree of transparency with the Image and my top three amps that I just couldn't achieve with the colored mid-bass of the Triple.fi 10 Pro. They have a timbral accuracy that allows live instruments to sound like the real thing. Like with most IEM, they still have a small soundstage that tends to stay within the head, but instrument placement on the miniature stage is impeccable. And drum solos are just breathtaking with these!

The Image are similar in the mids with the SA6 and with the Freq Show, in being a fairly forward sounding IEM. The Image have fantastic bass, which the q-JAYS came close to, but the image add a sparkly transparent smooth high end that make the q-JAYS just sound a little rolled off in the highs. Compared to the Freq Show three driver custom IEM, the Image are very similar but with more bass! That means the highs could use just a tiny bit more extension, but it is still adequate enough to get the job done. Likewise, the SA6 have a similar bass to the Freq Show, which while not as powerful as I would like was present and got the job done.

The Image are also one of the few IEM that I can use with the included silicone tips and not have itchy ear canals, so not are they slightly more transparent than the SA6 but they are much more comfortable for me. The Denon C700 canal phones also don't make my ears itch, and they don't need to be seated deeply for a seal and good bass. The Image can match the bass of the C700 but they are strikingly smoother in the mids and treble than the Denon, which have over a year of use on them and are fully burned-in.

SLEEK SA6: The SA6 have the bass+/treble++ ports in them, although I did try all the other ports as well. The SA6 at first didn't impress me, and I found that like with the q-JAYS and Image that the deeper they are inserted into the ears, the more rolled off the treble. It took quite a bit of experimenting to get the fit that would sound right, but they were never able to go deep enough to be comfortable without making my ear canals itch, unless I was willing to sacrifice some treble. For the best sound I had to use a shallow insertion that was simply not as comfortable, which made me experience a tickle and itch that made me want to push the IEM in to soothe it.

Once I had the fit set for best sound, the highs came up and were sparkly and clear, and the transparency of the IEM improved, but they just don't make enough bass to make me happy. I could be happy with the Klipsch bass. The SA6 are detailed, and neutral, with little coloration, are fairly forward in the mids and soundstage, and are not prone to sibilance. But they lack the transparency that I get from all my customs or the Klipsch Image.

With jazz the string bass has good texture and tone, and the fingers sliding on and plucking the strings are sharp and quick as is the bass. The mids are warm and smooth, and I do now have a sparkle on the highs. Very interesting. Bass is present but doesn't have quite the impact I would like with some rock. Hip Hop and Pop like Rhianna and Usher have better bass than with U2, Linkin Park, Led Zep, Stones or Beatles. I am still a jazz and new age guy at heart...

Klipsch Image X10 Amp Ranking (best to last): ALL AMPS SOUNDED GOOD WITH THE IMAGE, EVEN THE LOWEST RANKED ONE.

1) Predator, tied with Viper
1) iBasso D2 Viper with THS4032 in the main opamp and LM6172 in the ground channel,
2) Pico
3) Lyrix Pro tied with the
3) Caffeine Pro
4) Headamp Micro Amp 2006 version
5) iBasso D2 Boa or Nuforce Icon Mobile
6) Meier HeadSix
7) TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid (adds an edge to the upper mids that I've never heard with the TTVJ before)

Sleek SA6 Amp Ranking (best to last): Again, all the amps sounded good with the SA6, even the lowest ranked amp.

1) iBasso D2 Viper with THS4032 in the main opamp and LM6172 in the ground channel (open and spacious and not too forward, with shimmering highs)
2) Predator tied Pico (not as open and more forward, but bass is better)
2) Pico (seems to wake up the space and ambience of the SA6)
3) Headamp Micro Amp 2006 version
4) Lyrix Pro tied with the
4) Caffeine Pro
5) iBasso D2 Boa
6) TTVJ Portable Millett Hybrid (adds a nice sparkle without being too forward)
7) Meier HeadSix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back