Klipsch Image X10 Sound
Feb 21, 2012 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ericbellet

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I am new here, so give me a break...

I just received a pair of Klipsch Image X10 headphones, and well, I am not that satisfied.  I had TF10's for a couple days but they hurt my ears, so I went the comfort route.  I use to listen to X5's and thought they were absolutely fantastic, but they unfortunately went through the wash.  I vaguely remember not being satisfied with the sound of the X5 but over time appreciated it more and more.

Does this have to do with some sort of burn in?  I have read the BA's do not burn in, but I definitely noticed a MAJOR improvement in my X5's and I hope the same will occur with the X10s because i want to love them.  If not, the comfort is worth it, in my opinion.  The sound is not bad, by any means, just not like my X5's.

Thanks all

--Eric

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 17
I personally haven't experienced burn in with BAs. I think the TF10 is far more comfortable than stock with the flip mod/sony hybrids. I would EQ the high end of the X10, which makes it more enjoyable for me.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 17
If I could go back, I probably would have kept the TF10's but whats done is done, and I am going to give these a serious chance.  Maybe some small amp would help the sound?  I'm listening mainly straight out of my iPhone 4.  My tracks are mainly 320kbps.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 17
Can you provide a little more detail on what you don't like about them?

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 17
All balanced armature drivers are involved in burn-in -- BRAIN burn-in! 

When you are used to a certain sound signature (listened to the same earphones for a long time), and you try something new and different, it takes your brain a while to become used to the "new normal."  After a while your brain tells you THAT earphone signature is "right" and others are different.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Sound just isn't as clear as I would have expected.  Sounds what some people call "muddy".  Maybe it is my tracks, but i'm not sure.  I use comply t-100s, so the seal should be good as well.  I just expected to be very impressed by the sound, and while its not bad, i'm not overly impressed.  I thought the sound would exceed the sound that my X5's produced.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Sound just isn't as clear as I would have expected.  Sounds what some people call "muddy".  Maybe it is my tracks, but i'm not sure.  I use comply t-100s, so the seal should be good as well.  I just expected to be very impressed by the sound, and while its not bad, i'm not overly impressed.  I thought the sound would exceed the sound that my X5's produced.

Well the X10 is really laid back, which I personally don't like. I don't think the X10 is too muddy though, its just too warm for me. I think EQing helps fix that. I hear comply foam increases bass/decreases treble which probably doesnt help in your case.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 17
That could be.  I just put them right on because i used them with my X5's.  I will test all of the other tips tonight.  How about amplification.  Like the fiio E5?  Does that do anything?

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 17
They definitely need time to settle. Or your brain just needs to settle for the X10s and get used to "picking out" the "clarity" in the X10s. Either way, burn-ins are definitely real with BAs, don't care if it's technically impossible or not. I've personally bought 2 pairs of TF10s and ER4-PTs, and have one sit in the box, while the other burn-in for 50-100 hours. And I've done blind side-by-side ABing - BAs do burn-in, is my conclusion. (Not to mention countless BAs I've had in the past)

Now, I love my ER4-PT and UE 700 and B2. These are known to be analytical and clear IEMs. And when I switch to my X10s, I don't find the sound muddy at all. Like others have said, maybe a bit laid-back and relaxed. But definitely not muddy. In fact, I find the sound signature of the X10s to be unique and carries a bit DD characteristics (such as awesome bass), and am really impressed by how this was done with just single-BAs. 

Try without the comply. They muddy things up. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 17
Yeah, so I tried the regular tips...and disaster occurred.  

Now before I continue, please note that I listened to X5's for YEARS with the original Klipsch tips, and I know how to put them in, I am not a beginner in that respect.  

However, when I was done listening to my X10's this evening, I removed the left, and then the right only to realize that the tip remained in my ear...I tried to get it out but it only went deeper.  It went so deep that I had to go to the emergency room and get it surgically removed because it was nearly through my ear canal.  My right ear is now in terrible pain.  I did not yank the earbud out, I removed it like I always do.

Not trying to sound dramatic, but that was actually scary.  

Yeah, I think I might be done with Klipsch, and they might get an email from me because that should not happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back