Klipsch Image X10 Appreciation Thread
Sep 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #46 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tend to abuse my headphones.

Oh no! Bad, bad boy.
devil_face.gif

X10 don't look like they can take too much of punishment. Cable is rather fragile, with mine there's already electrician tape applied near the drivers and around plug. They look ugly, but they may last longer.

Soundwise, I'm set for now, not looking elsewhere anymore.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #47 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not really what I meant, I was referring to the effect it has on music. Inserting attenuators and other things like that usually have a detrimental effect on the music in one way or another.

Actually, this is not an attenuator or anything other than a simple connection that can cause any kind of signal change. The switch functions like a gate. In one position the circuit of the PTH becomes active and the microphone provides the sound to the phones. In the other position, off, the PTH is no more than a plug. The signal goes straight through like a straight wire.

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #48 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, this is not an attenuator or anything other than a simple connection that can cause any kind of signal change. The switch functions like a gate. In one position the circuit of the PTH becomes active and the microphone provides the sound to the phones. In the other position, off, the PTH is no more than a plug. The signal goes straight through like a straight wire.

Well, regardless of how it's made, when I've tested it the PTH had a detrimental effect on the music.

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #49 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lad27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no! Bad, bad boy.
devil_face.gif

X10 don't look like they can take too much of punishment. Cable is rather fragile, with mine there's already electrician tape applied near the drivers and around plug. They look ugly, but they may last longer.

Soundwise, I'm set for now, not looking elsewhere anymore.

You seriously have electrical tape on them? OMG, that's awful.. they're way too small and nice looking to be messed up with tape.

Sep 6, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #50 of 163
As an update to the ongoing love for these X10s, I was using the single flange gels and was completely content with their comfort and isolation. However, out of boredom, I decided to try the bi-flanges I had laying around in easy access and I immediately noticed a bit warmer , fuller and richer sound quality as well as better isolation.

I highly recommend any X10 lovers trying the Klipsch bi-flange gels. I'm currently using said gels on some Ety ER4Ps and the isolation is outstanding. The sound quality is great, also.

Sep 6, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #51 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an update to the ongoing love for these X10s, I was using the single flange gels and was completely content with their comfort and isolation. However, out of boredom, I decided to try the bi-flanges I had laying around in easy access and I immediately noticed a bit warmer , fuller and richer sound quality as well as better isolation.

I highly recommend any X10 lovers trying the Klipsch bi-flange gels.

Check out post #11 on the first page, I've been advocating this for awhile know myself. My post got tstarn06 curious so he tried them and from his post #19 on page 2 it sounds like he prefers the sound with them as well.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #52 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out post #11 on the first page, I've been advocating this for awhile know myself. My post got tstarn06 curious so he tried them and from his post #19 on page 2 it sounds like he prefers the sound with them as well.

Right on!
L3000.gif
I remember reading those but over time things get lost. Great that you found the same value in these buggers. I'm using them with Etys also and they really make a marked improvement in sound and iso.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #53 of 163
I'm actually surprised it hasn't been commented on before by people who tried the Image's before me. To me anyway it's not just the typical difference between tips where the frequency balance shifts and a bit of detail maybe lost or gained. With the bi-flanges they do get a bit darker but things also seem to open up, instruments gain more body and everything just seems to have a more natural, "right" feel.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #54 of 163
Hey guys, after a comfortable isolating earphone with deep warm bass but clear highs with strong vocals, I think this is the right earphone for me. I listen to electro, downtempo, rnb, rock, jazz. However my music is not lossless/wav/uncompressed, it's mostly around 192-256kbps. Would I be wasting my money getting these as I'd be able to hear the imperfections in the compression, or would they still sound good? cheers.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #56 of 163
I think with any portable source or DAP, music ripped at a bitrate of 256 or above should be pretty indesquishable from a lossless format with high-end IEM's (not sure if this extends to full-sized cans or not). That seems to be the general consensus. Obviously, some ppl just prefer to listen to flac or other lossless format in a portable set-up for peace of mind as much as improved audio quality. However, if space is a concern, ie on any flash-based DAP its likely to be in (relatively) short supply, then ripping at 256 or above should be fine. Of course, I have no hands-on exp with these phones so I don't know how good/bad they are at exploiting lower SQ in compressed audio files.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #57 of 163
Coming straight out of my Clip with VBR encoding these sound pretty good so far

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #58 of 163
X2. I moved to the bi-flange medium gels and noticed a marked improvement in SQ and isolation. Not sure why I didn't try them at first, but glad I did now. Actually, I have Elnero to thank.

Sep 7, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #59 of 163
What type of music are the Klipsch Image most suited to? Do they work well un-amped?

My music is VBR encoded or 192/256kbps. I listen to the full-spectrum of music genres.. mostly electronic/rock/downtempo stuff like radiohead, massive attack, coldplay and sometimes dance, jazz and rock. No amp.

Cheers, about to drop some money on them and this will be by far my biggest headphone purchase.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #60 of 163
To my ears the Klipsch Image X10's have particularly strong and well defined bass response, with quite recessed mids and very present upper trebles.

This makes them great for bass heavy music, but not so good for acoustic guitars, strings and female vocals.

I would say the Sleek Audio SA6 is a better balanced single driver earphone than the Klipsch Image - plus you can tune the SA6!

In fact I've just written a review comparing the Klipsch Image and Sleek Audio SA6 - see http://blog.hifiheadphones.co.uk/200...sa6-earphones/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back