Klipsch Image vs. Sleek SA6?
Mar 23, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #16 of 32
I have both the Image and the Sleeks. I just took a little heat in another forum for a review I wrote of the Custom 3's - so I will be careful of what I write here.

To me, the Image vs Sleek is a comparison of two excellent IEM's with very different features and highlights:

IMAGE:
Amazing comfort - no fatigue for me
Klipsch Gel tips are great - I even use them on the Sleeks
Vocals and midrange come from "within the head" - I like that
Bass is about the best I have heard from any IEM
Warm sound - high end is clear -not harsh
Some lack in midrange compared to the Sleeks
Very efficient - volume definitely turned down when using them

SLEEK:
Incredibly fun to configure
Probably the best Midrange - at least for instrumentals
Guitar and Piano sound exceptional
lacking in depth of bass - bass it tight - just not terribly pronounced
Very "Musical" - lively and enjoyable
comfortable - not as comfortable as the IMAGE
Ability to custom "tune" the sound is great

Comparison by Musical Genre

Rock: Definitely the IMAGE
Acoustic: Sleek
Rap/Hip Hop: IMAGE
Classical: Sleek
JAZZ: Tie
Folk: Sleek

I'll have a full review of the Sleeks this week on my web site - but, if last week was any indication, most head fi readers are looking for a different kind of review than what our readers look for.

I'll try to post pictures comparing the IMAGEs and the Sleeks later today.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #18 of 32
OK,

realizing that the lighting wasn't great - I got some quick comparison shots of the Sleeks and the IMAGEs.

The Sleek is pictured both with the included ear tips and also with the Black Klipsch ear gels (which wound up being a little more comfortable for me.)

Both are quite small and disappear into the ear canal when used.

I have been able to take a nap wearing both of these with no discomfort and, I have been able to exercise with both staying perfectly in place (I know that is a concern for some.)

Attachment 3203

Attachment 3205

Attachment 3207

Attachment 3209

Mar 23, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #19 of 32
Since this is still going, a Headsix amp (low gain) really changed the Image's sound and soundstage for me, with especially the treble being smoother and soundstage opening up. Changes with Atrios were definitely smaller. Not sure I liked it altogether as the Image "in your head" soundstage is nice IMO. I didn't get to do an extensive test as I am returning the Headsix for other problems and trying an iBasso D2 soon, but it does seem amping the Image makes some noticeable changes. Maybe the Image's unique sound signature isn't for everyone but I've heard a lot of earphones and headphones over the past year through various sources and I still love them.

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #20 of 32
Hi GaryM63, thank you so much for your comparison. It was short and sweet! Can't wait for your full review!

Mar 26, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #21 of 32
I've been listening with my Images through some better amps recently and comparing them to my DT880s heh. Have to say the Images have that high end "feature" of being able to reveal weaknesses in your source and really coming alive when you get it right. I can see I'm going to have to go lossless on my portable with them!

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #22 of 32
Sigh... not what I want to read... Most of my music is ripped at 192Kb PLUS my mp3 player is just a cheap tie-me-down until I find something I like that doesn't start with "i".

Mar 27, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had both - and the only area the Image won out on (for me) was bass. Absolutely, definitely, 100%. I felt there was much more impact and a lot more weight in comparison with the SA6. I know there's talk of a ++ bass port at some time in the future, but until then, the Image will give you all the bass you could want.

I agree with soozieq's statements comparing the Image and the SA6s. I had the images for a short time and they don't compare with the clarity that the SA6s offer. I felt like the Images were just too into my head and almost felt muffled in terms of instruments. The SA6s provide more "space" between instruments which I enjoy much more.

The Image's did have wonderful bass though.
redface.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #24 of 32
lol... another person who makes me so divided between choosing b/w the two IEMs. Why the hell can't they just have a baby so I can be satisfied?! Oh and then said baby should then mate with the Westone 3. Then I'm sure I would be satisfied, for a year or two. Oh, and let's not be silly and go mentioning the UE 11 Pro...

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #26 of 32
I got my Sleeks and now I am completely satisfied! Except one thing: I can hear some hiss from my iPod so maybe I'll get an amp too. But these earphones are great! I adore them. But then: I didn't hear the Images. Good luck. I am happy with these!

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #27 of 32
tstarn06, I too remember reading that a UE 11 Pro owner prefered the SA6. Makes me sad really!!

You all aren't praying hard enough for my friend's E4C to die so that he can buy the SA6!!!!!

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #28 of 32
I finally got my Klipsch Image yesterday!!! So excited they finally came! Total price of US$242. I know they sound different, but I don't notice a big difference between the Image and the E4C, apart from the bass of course =)

Comparing them to my FS1, the Image's bass goes lower, but the bass quantity seems similar.

The mids and highs on the Image are good too. A welcome change as I've been missing out on those things for a while using my FS1!

Overall I'm happy, but from 1st impressions the step up so far between the FS1 and Image has not been as dramatic as I had hoped.

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #30 of 32
I own all three--Image, Sleek, and ety4p. use them all for different types' music. Running thru 5.5gImod, -portable v-cap and Predator amp. Or, to be strictly portable, the Imod and a Portaphile.

So Sleeks are probably more spacious, but the Image provides huge side to side and front/rear soundstage.

Both sleek and image have probably more warmth than the ety, but ety is good also for certainmusic.

Now the real question: am I hearing the IEMs or am I hearing the amp/imod/v-cap[ combination making improvements on the sounds??? Dunno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back