Klipsch Image S4
Nov 1, 2011 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Earl34

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been questioning myself for quite some time if I wanted to upgrade from my Sennheiser 202's and I think I have decided. I own both the 202'a and some Sennheiser in-ear and even though the 202's were much better i felt more comfortable with the in-ear for some reason....maybe its because I have small ears and headphones generally hurt them. So I decided to pick some in-ear headphones and the one that caught my eye were the Klipsch Image S4's. I looked around and they seem really good but I would hate to spend the money on them if my 202's seemed to be better. Anyone have experience with these In-ear monitors?

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #2 of 19
Might wanna check out the klipsch s4 appreciation thread. I bought these for my gf, and tested them for a few hours,(without burn in) and they sounded extremely similar to my sennheiser 595 full size cans. Thye have a closer sound stage as expected from IEMs, and a bit less treble, however quite a bit of bass is populated in them, however, they arent overly bassy imo. I like deep bass, and my 595s kinda make me sad a bit when it comes to bass, so the s4s were pretty nice for a change.

From what i saw they are solidly constructed, and overall have a very nice sound. They fit like typical IEMs, so i unfortunately dont like them for long term use, but if you dont mind IEMs then they should work well for you. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 19
What is your price range? I think there are better options than S4 at the moment. I think my JVC xtreme xplosives for $20 is better than the S4 at almost every aspect. I also prefer brainwavz m2 over the s4 as well.

Nov 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 19
M2 > S4

The M2 is a better IEM for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 2, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 19
I had an S4 and ended up replacing them with the M2. I really wanted to like the S4 but just couldnt stand the distant mids, and sometimes sibilant and artificial treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 19
I realize I'll be in the minority on this but I actually think the s4 is a solid iem for the money. Ive had my pair for two years and the sound really changes for the better, you can't judge them based on brand new performance. I wear them with shure olives I get great isolation and comfort. Microphonics do annoy  me not as good as other phones but not terrible. I tested them against the reo and even the westone 4 out of a clip and an iPad and I felt the s4 held its own in nearly every way. The bass is plentiful but can be overbearing I happen to not mind. I don't find the mids to be any more recessed or distant than the reo or westone 4. Highs have calmed down hugely since they were new, plus the foam tips help a lot. They are highly resolving, when I watch tv shows I can hear the crew moving around in the background. On complex music I will say they do tend to get muddy albeit only compared to something like westone 4. I used to hate on them and have been looking for a pair to replace them but the more I compare the more impressed I am with them. 

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Somehow I don't think a $20 pair of headphones would be better than the S4 but who knows BTW just under $100

You would be surprised how budget headphones can sound nowadays.

Quote:
Hmm well I might be able to get it but I cant really find any and the S4's are plenty and a little cheaper so I still don't know.........

mp4nation.net sells brainwavz and free shipping worldwide.

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 19
I think they sound like garbage.  So much so that I would have felt bad selling the ones I had so I just gave them away.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
I realize I'll be in the minority on this but I actually think the s4 is a solid iem for the money. Ive had my pair for two years and the sound really changes for the better, you can't judge them based on brand new performance. I wear them with shure olives I get great isolation and comfort. Microphonics do annoy  me not as good as other phones but not terrible. I tested them against the reo and even the westone 4 out of a clip and an iPad and I felt the s4 held its own in nearly every way. The bass is plentiful but can be overbearing I happen to not mind. I don't find the mids to be any more recessed or distant than the reo or westone 4. Highs have calmed down hugely since they were new, plus the foam tips help a lot. They are highly resolving, when I watch tv shows I can hear the crew moving around in the background. On complex music I will say they do tend to get muddy albeit only compared to something like westone 4. I used to hate on them and have been looking for a pair to replace them but the more I compare the more impressed I am with them. 

Have you tried any of these? PFE 022, SE 315, GR07, Monster Turbine, Ultimate Ears 700?
I currently have the s4 and looking for an upgrade.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 19
Just bought a S4 today and somewhat disappointed. To much high frequency emphasis which makes the music sounds metallic and high pitched. The low frequency response is rather decent and like the look of the device. I will burn it in for a bit longer to see if there would be any improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back