Klipsch Image S4 vs. Sennheiser CX300B MK II vs. Others?
Apr 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kfm946

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've just joined the forums today, I'm looking for advice on my next purchase of IEMs.

I'll start off with my musical tastes. I'm really into progressive rock and metal (Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Rush). I'm also a guitar player, and I'm obsessed with my tone (other guitar players here will understand me :p). I consider myself to be a bit of an audiophile. I sometimes find it difficult to enjoy my music when it doesn't sound exactly right through my phones.

What I'm looking for is a set of IEMs that are very well balanced, crisp and clear. I love being able to hear every note, every symbol hit, clearly and distinctly.  I want the mids to be present but not getting in the way of everything else.

My price range preferably below or around 40$.

My current earbuds are JLab J3s, which are pretty good, but recently I've found that they are too focused on treble and medium/high mids, lack a bit in bass, and the phones have lost some of their clarity.  I also have some J5s, which I'm using at this very moment. After switching mid-song from the J3s, I found that the J5s were quite the opposite. They have very powerful bass, slightly overpowering at times, the high mids are a tad weak, and the treble starts to crackle a bit sometimes.

Some other little things I like/don't like about phones in general:
-I'd prefer a longer cord over a shorter one. Nothing worse than the buds being pulled out of your ear because the cable's too short.
-I'm not hugely bothered by microphonics in the cable, as long as they're not too bad.
-My J3s have a nylon (i think) coated cable and are relatively tangle free, which I love.
-My durability expectations for any set of IEMs in this price range is 6-8 months. I bring my phones with me to school every day, as well as whenever I'm in the car and I'm not driving, so they're gonna get used quite a lot. I do take good care of them though, I'm careful not to yank the cable or bend it too much at the jack. As long as the cable has good insulation (probably not the right word, but whatever) at pressure points such as the jack, it'll be fine for me. The last thing I want is to end up with another pair like those Skullcandy Ink'd buds I used to get that had gotten cheaper and cheaper in build quality to  the point where I went through 2 pairs in a month.

After browsing Amazon and reading reviews and comparisons, I'm trying to decide between S4s and CX300Bs. Hopefully everything I wrote will give you a good idea of what sounds good to me, and be aware that I'm open to other suggestions if you think there's something better for me than the S4s or the CX300Bs. Let the shootout begin! :p

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 7
Go for the S4. I have the same taste in music as you and I really enjoy them. I own three much more expensive sets (Shure 535, Sennheiser IE80 and Klipsch X10), but expensive headphones can be too stressful to carry on a daily basis so to be honest the Image S4 get used the most. They hold their ground pretty well, and the tips they come with are the best I've used, I bought more and use them for all my IEMs.
Be wary though, fake Klipsch Image S4s are notorious for being everywhere, even from Amazon. It's to the point where I would only be comfortable getting them directly from the Klipsch website.

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm a big fan of the Soundmagic E10's, and I listen to the same kind of stuff, I would also recommend getting the Monoprice 9927's for the very low price they are, as a second set.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the Soundmagic E10's, and I listen to the same kind of stuff, I would also recommend getting the Monoprice 9927's for the very low price they are, as a second set.

I just checked them out, they seem really good, and they're cheaper than the S4s. But some people are saying they're better than S4s, some say they're worse. A common complaint I saw was that they're a little bit short on bass.
What's your experience with them?

I also came across the VSonic GR02. Anyone have a comparison between the GR02s and the E10s/S4s?

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't think anyone in their right mind could accuse the E10's of being short of bass. They are quite bass heavy, but not at the expense of the rest of the range. They have nice sub bass extension, unlike say the cx-300 ii's which hump the bass around 60-80hz but roll off around 35hz. I haven't tried the others you list though I've heard nothing but good things about the GR02's.

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
I don't think anyone in their right mind could accuse the E10's of being short of bass. They are quite bass heavy, but not at the expense of the rest of the range. They have nice sub bass extension, unlike say the cx-300 ii's which hump the bass around 60-80hz but roll off around 35hz. I haven't tried the others you list though I've heard nothing but good things about the GR02's.

Of course, those are amazon reviews hahah. Half those people there probably don't know they have to burn them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back