Klipsch Image S4 vs Jays Q jays?
Dec 19, 2009 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Wallmott

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Im going to get my first "high quality" earphones and i wonder which one to buy.

I have read allot of GREAT reviews on Klipsch Image S4, but i was wondering is the sound really that great as everyone says or is it just "great for its low price" ? I have seen some people saying they are great but just for its price.

Which one would you say has the best sound? The Klipsch Image S4 vs Jays Q jays or Monster Turbines?

Im thinking about buying one of them.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 20
Im looking for a pair of headphones for around 80 - 150 dollars but im having a hard time finding a pair that people think sounds "good".

Im mostly listening to rock music like Bruce Springsteen, U2, Rolling stones etc.

So im thinking about getting either Klipsch image s4, Jays q-jays or the Monster Turbines.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 20
I've heard the Q-Jays. If you like very sparkly highs, lots of treble and clarity, and don't need bass you can feel, you will probably like them. To me, they were too much treble and not enough bass. I have not heard the S4 but if you prefer a more "fun" sound with more active bass you might prefer them.

Editorial remark -- I would not consider anything made by Monster because they make so much money by ripping people off with overpriced cables.

Dec 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #7 of 20
Ok. then the Q jays wont be for me.

Have anyone heard both the Klipsch Image S4 and the Monsters?

I think i might get the Klipsch S4 because i have heard allot of people saying that they sound fantastic, but then i also heard a few saying that they are not good at all and people are just buying into the hype.

Im worried i will spend money on something that wont be any good when i could have spent just a bit more and got a pair of better earphones.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the Q-Jays. If you like very sparkly highs, lots of treble and clarity, and don't need bass you can feel, you will probably like them. To me, they were too much treble and not enough bass. I have not heard the S4 but if you prefer a more "fun" sound with more active bass you might prefer them.

Editorial remark -- I would not consider anything made by Monster because they make so much money by ripping people off with overpriced cables.

I am almost 100% sure that your fit was off. Q-jays are anything but bass light. In fact, I consider their bass performance to be one of the best, if not the best of any IEM I've heard so far and even surpassing that of many similarly priced full sized cans. The bass is deep, very, very tight, punchy, linear, fast and highly detailed. Compared to RE0 for example, q-jays clearly have tighter and deeper low end.

My main problem with Q-jays was the upper midrange/low treble. If you look at headroom FR graph for them, you will notice that they have quite a significant roll off somewhere in that region. What this translates into is a certain lack of presence. Everything seems to be there, but it just doesn't sound present enough. I suspect it's becuase of that roll off. When switching from the Q-jays to the RE0, the upper mids/low treble suddenly come to life and I realize that I was missing those frequencies with the Q-jays.

Other than that, Q-jays are great however. They got particularly strong bass performance and also generally nice treble quality. They are also pretty spacious sounding, very clear, precise and fast. However, for a more accurate overall sound, I would recommend RE0 instead. RE0 is not quite as precise and its bass is not quite as tight, but it has a more even and present upper mid/low treble and also a more controlled treble (q-jays can get a little sibilant at times, while RE0 never does). RE0 is also a much better deal at $79 US vs. 100+ for the Q-jays. I never heard the Klipsch, but I doubt that it can match either of these other two in sound quality.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard the Klipsch, but I doubt that it can match either of these other two in sound quality.

i have tried all three and this is what i got (in order of best to worst)

lows:
S4
Q's
REO

mids:
REO
Q's-S4

highs:
Q's
REO
S4

I would say s4s and reo and both excel in different areas but break even (diff sound for different tastes)

and the Q jays are are the best all around and exceed in highs but cost a little extra

imho :p

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pladoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and the Q jays are are the best all around and exceed in highs

I use Q Jays with Foams - this reduce highs and SQ now excellent
atsmile.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pladoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lows:
S4
Q's
REO

mids:
REO
Q's-S4

highs:
Q's
REO
S4

May I ask why you think S4 has better lows than q-jays? Also, why do you think q-jays have better treble than RE0?

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 20
The more research i do the more confused i get.

Some people are saying that the Klipsch Image s4 sounds FANTASTIC even if you compare them to other phones that costs twice as much, and that it is a good earphone no matter what you compare them to.

Some people say they are just ok, and some say thy are totall crap.

And allot of people say that the bass in the Q-jays is weak and some say its very strong.

Also the only other pair of headphones i owned except the apple earphones that comes with your ipod is Koss porta pro.

How does the Klipsch S4 compare with them?

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 20
I have the RE0 -- had the S4 -- haven't heard the Q-Jays.

I have seen people compare the Q-Jays to the RE0 exactly how they've been described in previous posts: very detailed, very extended and clean highs; clean, detailed mids and bass; very controlled, lean bass -- there when you need it but certainly not boomy or bass-head stuff.

OTOH, the S4 is a good bass-head candidate, but it has good treble and lots of details (not like the RE0, tho). Where as the RE0 and Q-Jays are "balanced" and clean, the S4 is very strong, warm and musical.

The RE0 won't bowl you over with it's strength -- but it will open up layers of sound in songs you've heard a 100 times before! And it warms up very nicely with the little $25 Fiio E5 portable amp.

The S4 is worth the try -- if you don't like it, they will accept a return for full refund inside of 1 month. Order it straight from Klipsch.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back