Klipsch Image S4 makes awkward sounds?
Jun 17, 2011 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nafixd

New Head-Fier
Okay, I'm not an audiophile, but when I listen to the S4's from my iPod Touch, the songs have a static noise. I don't know if its static or not, since I never experienced it. I will describe it. It sounds like scratches, like you scratched something lightly, and it happens randomly at certain parts only and when a high pitch drum is hit. I looked it up, and people recommend to switch the source of music, so I tried it on my computer, and it works perfectly. If it's my iPod, anyway to fix it?
I also need help, do I need to burn them in? And how do I burn them in/how long? I just got them yesterday. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd say that there's a problem with your iPod.  Two reasons: 1. I never had that problem and 2. it works from your computer so that narrows it down to most likely the iPod.  There's no way I can imagine that you could make a DIY fix, unless there's jut a bit of dirt in your 3.5mm jack that might be able to be cleaned out.  And well, disregarding the whole debate on how much burning in affects sound, I'd suggest sweeps of white, pink and brown noise. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Okay, So today, I just started burning in for an hour of just my music, until I saw people recommending pink noise. Around 30 minutes ago, I started playing pink noise on them. On another thread, people recommend you have a 2 minute rest period (digital silence) so the drivers don't produce heat. Should I just play pink noise? Since I'm not an audiophile, will I be able to hear a slight difference If I leave the pink noise/2 minute rest period overnight?
And have you done it?

Jun 17, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 8
What kind of quality music do you have on your iPod?  Is it high quality or did you convert them all to 128kb/s AAC (I don't think this would produce this problem, but it might).  Also test out different tips if you haven't already, harshness can be due to a bad seal.  Also, did you test the same songs on your PC that produced this problem on your iPod (same exact file, same quality).  Do you have an EQ set on your iPod (vocal booster/treble booster might produce this).

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 8
How much use (break-in) had your Beat/Tours had prior to this comparison? Were the Beats already burned-in, and which Tour/Beats are you referring to, the IE's or the OE's?

Also, did you use the exact same song sample, at the exact same volume level, using the exact same source --- all for this comparison you did? What type of iPod are you using? Was the sound level the same for the song(s) you are listening to for the comparison --- if not, go back and re-create the comparison using the same volume level for both earphones.

Then, if you still have an issue only with the S4's, find out if they are still under warranty, and you might consider sending them back, either for another pair, or for something else.

BTW, I wouldn't pass judgement on the S4's until you have reached at least 180 to 200 hours of burn-in (using a combination of both pink noise, and music). I am burning my pair in as I type this (with pink noise right now). I am up to about 120 hours right now. I will certainly not pass judgement on them until they are finished being broken-in.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
How much use (break-in) had your Beat/Tours had prior to this comparison? Were the Beats already burned-in, and which Tour/Beats are you referring to, the IE's or the OE's?

Also, did you use the exact same song sample, at the exact same volume level, using the exact same source --- all for this comparison you did? What type of iPod are you using? Was the sound level the same for the song(s) you are listening to for the comparison --- if not, go back and re-create the comparison using the same volume level for both earphones.

Then, if you still have an issue only with the S4's, find out if they are still under warranty, and you might consider sending them back, either for another pair, or for something else.

BTW, I wouldn't pass judgement on the S4's until you have reached at least 180 to 200 hours of burn-in (using a combination of both pink noise, and music). I am burning my pair in as I type this (with pink noise right now). I am up to about 120 hours right now. I will certainly not pass judgement on them until they are finished being broken-in.

The scratching noise he speaks of doesn't exist when he uses it on the PC.  It's the way it runs with the iPod specifically.  If the OP hasn't done anything yet, I'd recommend emailing Klipsch about this and see if they can get you a replacement.  I think your product is defective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back