Klipsch Image initial impressions and microphonics... eww...
Sep 6, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

heavyharmonies

100+ Head-Fier
I'm new to the world of IEMs. I bought 2 Sansa Fuze mp3 players for my daily walking routines (1 Fuze to keep at my office and 1 for at home). I bought a pair of Atrio M5s for the home Fuze, and after upgrading from the included flanges to Shure olives, I was quite pleased with the sound.

So once budget permitted, I decided to buy a good set of IEMs for the office Fuze. Rather than being boring and simply getting another M5, I decided to get a different set to compare. I did some reading here, and it came down to the Sleek A6 vs. the Klipsch Image. I opted for the latter.

I've only had the Images for about 3 days. While the medium gels are comfortable, they seem to work themselves out of my ears over the course of time. Compared to the M5s thus far, I'm giving them a resounding "meh." Bass is not nearly as impactful as the M5. Of course I haven't A-Bed them side by side, and I've not tried olives on the Klipsch yet.

The microphonics on the Klipsch are driving me insane. As I walk it sounds like there's a perpetual wind blowing, in conjunction with my stride. When the music is loud, I don't hear it, but during soft or medium passages, it's QUITE noticeable.

Contrast with the M5, which have ZERO microphonics.

Thus far I'm underwhelmed, especially considering the Klipsch cost $40 more than the M5.

Suggestions?

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 16
give em to me
biggrin.gif

but seriously folks... some guys are using a clip to help with the microphonics. it's unfortunate they didn't design them to be over the ear.. would've made a huge difference.

I'm surprised you're not experiencing the same kind of joy with the bass as so many others are though.. from what i've been reading, they're the best of the bunch. not so? poor seal maybe?

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 16
I might be missing something, which is entirely possible, because I wear my canalphone cords under my shirt. That could explain why I don't ever here the MPs others hear.

As far as the phones coming out, you have one solution and a number of options to try. On silicone sleeves I use rubbing acohol to clean keep them clean and swab my ears out also. This allows for a very secure fit. The options are using some Comply foams or Shure black foams (olives).

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 16
Are we speaking the X5 or X10 my chap

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 16
Shirt clips only help to a certain degree. The "pigtail" wires leading to each driver must be given enough slack to allow your head to move freely without tearing the earphones out of your ear.

However, this causes them to be loose enough to slap against everything. Against themselves. Against clothing. Against zippers. Against hair, if you are a long-haired dude or a member of the fairer sex. Against drop earrings.

In my opinion, the ER-4P I recently parted ways with was pretty much perfect, except for the cable, which is the most microphonic cable I've ever used. The ER-6i was nowhere near as bad (it was also much easier to wear over the ear despite not being designed for it) as well as having a shorter, much lighter cable.

IEM manufacturers really need to stop putting heavy, too-long and stiff cables on their earphones. The ER-4P were pretty much perfect save for a bit of annoying edge on the treble with some songs, and a slight bass deficiency. I could live with that, but it was the cable that drove me to sell them. They became unusable due to the sheer hassle of dealing with the cable.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shirt clips only help to a certain degree. The "pigtail" wires leading to each driver must be given enough slack to allow your head to move freely without tearing the earphones out of your ear.

However, this causes them to be loose enough to slap against everything. Against themselves. Against clothing. Against zippers. Against hair, if you are a long-haired dude or a member of the fairer sex. Against drop earrings.

In my opinion, the ER-4P I recently parted ways with was pretty much perfect, except for the cable, which is the most microphonic cable I've ever used. The ER-6i was nowhere near as bad (it was also much easier to wear over the ear despite not being designed for it) as well as having a shorter, much lighter cable.

IEM manufacturers really need to stop putting heavy, too-long and stiff cables on their earphones. The ER-4P were pretty much perfect save for a bit of annoying edge on the treble with some songs, and a slight bass deficiency. I could live with that, but it was the cable that drove me to sell them. They became unusable due to the sheer hassle of dealing with the cable.

I know exactly what you mean about the cable. Whenever I get them to use for a while I comment to myself about how long and unwieldy the cable is and wish they had at least shortened it. Fortunately I always wear my canalphone cables under my shirt where I rarely have an issue.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 16
I find it odd that some people are complaining about microphonics with these because I don't find them bad at all. I think my Denon C-700's are worse for it.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know exactly what you mean about the cable. Whenever I get them to use for a while I comment to myself about how long and unwieldy the cable is and wish they had at least shortened it. Fortunately I always wear my canalphone cables under my shirt where I rarely have an issue.

The ER-4P were such a hassle to use. I basically had to "wear" them like an article of clothing; hell, I had to adjust my style of dress to support wearing them. The cable would slip off if I had it clipped to a thin blouse, and any kind of dangly ornamentation on my tops would slap against the cord and cause thump.

Without a complete portable rig now, I miss the lack of music, but I don't miss the hassle of those IEMs.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by oak3x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are we speaking the X5 or X10 my chap

I presume the X10, although the box doesn't appear to have any model number, just "Image". They match the appearance of the pictures in the X10 thread.

I'm hoping the Olives do the trick; I recall on the M5 that I noticed a significant increase in bass when I discarded the flanges for olives.

Failing that, I may try posting in the marketplace for a trade for SA6 or M5. The status quo is not acceptable.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Seems to me that you should at least wait until you're sure you bhave listened to them with a proper seal- your report of low bass is an anomaly- and until you've tried a shirt clip to dampen the microphonics.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Agree on that too. I moved from the single medium to the bi-flange large (larger of the two) and it made a big difference SQ-wise. As for microphonics, I use the X10s to walk all the time without a problem, I use an Ety shirt clip and slid the slider up a bit to tighten the cables, and they are fine.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 16
A shirt clip, that I use regardless with any IEM, will eliminate for good any microphonics...100% tested with Klipschs and Sleeks...IMO all IEM I have heard, unless over the ear cable has microphonics in one way or another, and in more or less degree...

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:55 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree on that too. I moved from the single medium to the bi-flange large (larger of the two) and it made a big difference SQ-wise. As for microphonics, I use the X10s to walk all the time without a problem, I use an Ety shirt clip and slid the slider up a bit to tighten the cables, and they are fine.

A bit off topic but I am currently evaluating the bi-flange gels with my Shure SE530s. Initial impressions are invalid as I've been using two or three other canalphones all day and my ears are a bit skewed right now.

I will say, bi-flanges always tend to be less secure fitting for me because they don't go in quite the same distance as single flang'ers and after dousing them and my ears with alcohol, I had to hold them a while till they set up. That's something I don't have to do with the singles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back