Klipsch IMAGE impressions... from a non-audiophile
Jan 30, 2008 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

themyst

New Head-Fier
Ok, so the shop I work in just got the shipment of Klipsch Custom1/2 and IMAGE headphones, and I had the honor of test driving the IMAGE. My phrasing or terminology may be a bit "off", but I am still a newb around here, so bear with me.
smily_headphones1.gif
My baseline is the SE530 (high standards, I know) and compared to the 530s, I believed the IMAGE kicked as hard if not harder when it comes to hip-hop and trance. However, on the mid-range and highs, the SE530 showed why it's worth every cent of it's $449 MSRP. The mid-range was acceptable, but didn't seem pushed-forward like the SE530s. The high's were also respectable, but nowhere near the quality of the SE530s. The phones were very bass-heavy IMO, but lacked the complete package of the 530s. There was a very annoying hiss coming out of the phones at idle from the IMAGE.

The fit out of the box was nice and snug, and I would say the fit of the IMAGE is head and shoulders above the Shure line of phones. Plug them in, and they fit perfectly on the first try. Sometimes I do hate making sure I have a vacuum-tight seal in my canals to ensure I have bass response out of my Shures.

The quality of the cables is questionable IMO, as the cabling is extremely thin and fragile looking. As harshly as I treat my SE530s, I cringe at the thought of making the IMAGE my daily commuter.

For the bass heads, this is a very hard-hitting IEM with acceptable mids and highs, and more than suitable for trance and hip-hop. The fit and comfort of these phones is phenomenal. Everyone should be more than pleased with these in that aspect. For $349 though? I'd go shopping on eBay for SE530's for the same price.

I used a 1G Ipod Mini (/w 16gb CF) equipped with Rockbox for testing purposes.

Songs played:

Janet Jackson - Together Again (224 kbit MP3)
Robert Miles - Fantasya (320 kbit MP3)
Coheed and Cambria - Welcome Home (FLAC)

Jan 30, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #2 of 2
Nice review. How many hours were on the Images before you reviewed them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back