Klipsch ifi upgrade possible?
Aug 27, 2010 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LWKING

New Head-Fier
This is the absolute best 2.1 system I have ever come across. They absolutely destroy the Promedia 2.1s. I picked them up last year for $60 
biggrin.gif
 on craigslist and it took me awhile to find. I actually found two sellers at that time. Now I can't even find one
frown.gif

Anyways, I made the mistake of bringing them to a party, and they were working fine the entire time. I basically babied them the entire not to make sure they wouldn't blow. I was moderately intoxicated and decided that I would pick them up in the morning. I was one of the last people to leave and they were absolutely fine when I left. I picked them up a week later and they wouldn't play. Well, they would play but it was very faint and crackly. Bottom line, I was pissed. I know they screwed with it after I left, but they deny it to this day. Haven't been over there since.

I tested the sats on a different source and they work fine. The problem is somewhere in the amp. I opened it up and swapped out the fuses and tried to get the amp to work, but I couldn't figure it out. I was never good at that sort of thing. I think it still may be fixable, but as of now, I'm at school and don't have time. 

Out of curiosity I was wondering if there was anything better out there in the price range. I've done a lot of research and have yet to find a 2.1 system better. If I can't fix them I'm going to hunt around and try to find a seller, but if there is something else out there thats better I'd definitely check it out. I am in LOVE with the sub that comes with the ifi, and getting another powered woofer wouldn't work as the RSX 3 sats that come with it are specially designed for that sub; crossover points and what not. 

By the way, any Logitech suggestions will be ignored. I know there are people who love their little THX certified toys, but I personally enjoy midrange when I listen to my music 
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 8
Same way my iFi died, without the party though, without trauma, just one day it stopped working.  My woofer unit died as well.  I still use the satellites, but these went away for this reason.

I don't use any 2.1 any more, so I can't answer your specific question.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 8
Yeah it sucks. I just wish I was good at this kind of stuff and was able to fix it. I'm gonna hold on to it though in case I figure it out because Klipsch isn't going to come out with anything GOOD anytime soon in that market because it wouldn't sell. They would just be wasting time/money. The audience that would usually buy that stuff is controlled by companies like Apple and Bose to the point where people pay $600 for a sound dock 
confused.gif

Apple and Bose pretty much ruined the computer speaker market imho. They ruined the earphone market too. It's slowly going back to where it should with products like the Beats by Dre or the Diddy Beats. People are starting to appreciate SQ over convenience again, but only as much as Apple or Bose "lets them." It's a game that's going to be one sided for awhile. 

Logitech isn't terrible, but I don't find them good either. They're pretty popular in the computer world and people buy from them because they add the main thing that Bose lacks; a big a$& sub woofer 
rolleyes.gif

Anyways, the logical upgrade I say would be to just buy a few bookshelf speakers, a receiver, and a sub. That's a lot of money to do it right and I'm in college lol. I was just wondering if there is anything in that category that can stand w/ or surpass the ifi.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Altec Lansing VS4121 is a pretty nice 2.1 set if you can find them.
I accidentally hit on my set while setting up a new computer. They were on sale at CompUsa, and I was astounded by how good they sound for music. I stil have mine somewhere.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah it seems a little tough to find information on those. Anyways, I'm not really looking for anything in that price range, I already have the M-Audio AV30s. Picked them up for about $80 for my dorm about a month ago because I didn't want anything super nice because of possible damage. For the price these lil guys aren't half bad, especially because I have a Promedia 2.1 sub that I'm thinking about bringing down for the AV30s. The reason I don't want to bring the Promedia's down because the AV30s are more portable and can play without the sub. How would the Altecs compare to the AV30 + Promedia sub setup just out of curiousity? 

My ifi's are at home, and I'm trying to decide on fixing/replacing the sub, purchasing a new set, or possibly upgrading if its reasonable (I don't own a receiver). I'm really focusing on that setup, In the future I do plan on getting a more realistic setup, but that won't be until I graduate and find a job good enough to pay for it all 
wink.gif

My ifi's are at home and I'm focusing more on replacing/fixing that sub, possibly finding another set, or purchasing something even better if it exists. I've done my own research and have heard a few setups but I've never gone to aI
My ifi's are at home and I'm focusing more on replacing/fixing that sub, possibly finding another set, or purchasing something even better if it exists. I've done my own research and have heard a few setups but I've never gone to aI

Aug 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 8
My 3 college age kids:

Youngest has a Headroom DAC/AMP with his AT A700 headphones.  He had to leave the vintage yamaha amp and the DIY Abby speakers at home. (all hand me downs from yours truely, expect the bass heavy headphones)
Middle does not do headphones much, he likes the buds that came with his Laptop.  He has an older set of Promedia 2.1 for his XBox/TV setup.
Oldest got a nice Sony Stereo Amp with a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers for her college grad present from me.  She lives in an apartment, and likes having music from more than her laptop.

I think I had an old turntable, cassette recorder/player, Harmon Kardon amp, and a pair of 2' x 4' x 1' DIY 3 ways when I went off to college in 1977, I have been an audiophile for a long time.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
Altec Lansing VS4121 is a pretty nice 2.1 set if you can find them.
I accidentally hit on my set while setting up a new computer. They were on sale at CompUsa, and I was astounded by how good they sound for music. I stil have mine somewhere.

lol are you freaking serious? i own a VS4121 2 years back and i could say the down firing mid driver is a major flaw by Altec. Makes no sense to down fire the mids. The subwoofer is  weak as well.

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
lol are you freaking serious? i own a VS4121 2 years back and i could say the down firing mid driver is a major flaw by Altec. Makes no sense to down fire the mids. The subwoofer is  weak as well.

lol. Looks like I made the right choice.

Quote:
My 3 college age kids:

Youngest has a Headroom DAC/AMP with his AT A700 headphones.  He had to leave the vintage yamaha amp and the DIY Abby speakers at home. (all hand me downs from yours truely, expect the bass heavy headphones)
Middle does not do headphones much, he likes the buds that came with his Laptop.  He has an older set of Promedia 2.1 for his XBox/TV setup.
Oldest got a nice Sony Stereo Amp with a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers for her college grad present from me.  She lives in an apartment, and likes having music from more than her laptop.

I think I had an old turntable, cassette recorder/player, Harmon Kardon amp, and a pair of 2' x 4' x 1' DIY 3 ways when I went off to college in 1977, I have been an audiophile for a long time.

I''m assuming the laptop is an XPS and the buds are by Creative. Yeah I hope to get a set of RB-51s from Klipsch when I graduate and slowly piece together a 5.1 system. I've just always been afraid of having really nice stuff down here because nobody will take care of it like you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back