Klipsch/Denon/Nuforce/Sennheiser which to choose?!
Jan 11, 2010 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mintz

Head-Fier
I am currently looking for a pair of IEM headphones in the $120 or less price range. I have been doing some extensive research on this site as well as a few others I have found a few pairs that look like a good fit for me. I am having a hard time deciding and have checked on this site for comparisons between them and have been only to find a few topics. I should mention that I listen to primarily hip hop, lots of stuff produced by Pete Rock, Erick Sermon, Beatminerz, so I am looking for a pair with some good bass. I'm not sure if this will help but I own the ahd 1001, which I love, but am looking for something with slightly more bass (not sure if this makes me a basshead or not). They will be driven unamped by my ipod. The pairs I am considering are:

Klipsch IMAGE S4

Denon AH-C551

Nuforce NE-6

Sennheiser CX 500

They are all relatively close in price, so any advice or insight would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 11
I think you misunderstood what I was writing. I was looking for IEM's within the price range of $120 and less. Based on my research I am leaning towards the Klipsch S4's. They seem to be well suited for hip hop based on what I have read.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 11
hip hop is generally bass heavy, and the S4's don't really have a super heavy bass.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I've only heard both sets of Denons mentioned in the thread and as both are within your price range the C710 is much better than the C551.

The C710 has really great bass to me. I can't offer any more detailed thoughts but I can't see how you'd be disappointed with the C710.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Thank you both for the responses. Mark, what I should have wrote in my original post was that I was considering the 4 pairs that I listed but was open to other suggestions as long as they were under $120. I apologize for the confusion.

German, I was under the impression, based on what I read in the topic about these on the front page, that they had a good amount of bass. I wasn't really looking for something too bass heavy. If I was I would probably go with the Super Fi 5 EBs. Would you not reccommend these as IEMs that would perform well with hip hop? Or should I look into something else with more bass? As I had previously stated, I do prefer a good amount of bass.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 11
yeah, the bass in the S4s are good, but not "enhanced" to be overbearing. <- what i meant to say. they're in my ears right now, and the bass is clear but not overpowering.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 11
haven't heard the senn, but i'd recommend the S4 > NE6 > C551. i think both the S4 and Ne6 have plenty of bass, but the S4 is just overall a cleaner and clearer sound. the NE-6 does tend to get a little bit muddled at times, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back