klipsch Custom2 vs custom 3 vs shure se210
Nov 10, 2008 at 9:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ChristianC.

New Head-Fier
klipsch Custom2 vs custom 3 vs shure se210
im tryin' to choose among the 3, please help me pick, i usually listen to hip hop & R&B, i dont know if im gonna tell you what i have so far, you guys might hate me, anyway i have a bose triport ie, they're kinda nice to listen to but i haven't had the chance to audition that much headphones here in the Philippines. so i'm kinda relying on reviews & testimonials from the internet. i haven't seen that much review bout the custom 2 here at head-fi, if someone could direct me to a descent & honest review about these phones please do so. thanks in advance guys, hope to hear form all of you specially the audiophiles.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Go for the klipsch custom 3. I got mine from Spectra Park Square for only php 8550, about $175 or so based on the current exchange rate. That's an unbeatable value considering its SRP is $299. And the only shures that I find worthy would be the se310, se420 and se530.

The custom 3's sound signature is somewhere between the shure se420 and se530 (both of which I've auditioned). They're very detailed, quite warm and have a tight bass response that extends quite low, no doubt helped by its dedicated woofer driver. I can actually feel the double bass blastbeats in my chest from the some of the most complicated death metal (e.g. behemoth, decapitated) that I listen to on these, so I'd imagine they would also do well with hip-hop or R&B.

The moldable memory wire on the customs is also a big advantage over the shures since it helps them to stay in your ears better. My only nitpick on the customs is that the cable seems very thin (cloth-covered, another plus to minimize tangles), so I'm handling these with kid gloves. Lastly, they're also compatible with the shure olive foam tips just in case you experience a problem with the fit...which is a common issue from what i've read here in head-fi. Luckily, I get a perfect seal with the large single flange ear gels.

Hope this is comprehensive enough for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I honestly did not like the Custom 3 - too much emphasis on the lower part of the spectrum and they ended up sounding too dark for my tastes. Went with the Q-Jays instead (although the filters are a big minus with these) and have been very happy ever since
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for the klipsch custom 3. I got mine from Spectra Park Square for only php 8550, about $175 or so based on the current exchange rate. That's an unbeatable value considering its SRP is $299. And the only shures that I find worthy would be the se310, se420 and se530.

The custom 3's sound signature is somewhere between the shure se420 and se530 (both of which I've auditioned). They're very detailed, quite warm and have a tight bass response that extends quite low, no doubt helped by its dedicated woofer driver. I can actually feel the double bass blastbeats in my chest from the some of the most complicated death metal (e.g. behemoth, decapitated) that I listen to on these, so I'd imagine they would also do well with hip-hop or R&B.

The moldable memory wire on the customs is also a big advantage over the shures since it helps them to stay in your ears better. My only nitpick on the customs is that the cable seems very thin (cloth-covered, another plus to minimize tangles), so I'm handling these with kid gloves. Lastly, they're also compatible with the shure olive foam tips just in case you experience a problem with the fit...which is a common issue from what i've read here in head-fi. Luckily, I get a perfect seal with the large single flange ear gels.

Hope this is comprehensive enough for you
smily_headphones1.gif

ill try to go to park square this weekend, anyway where did you get your PK2 here in the Philippines? but definitely i'll be settling for the custom 3, good looks, good reviews & kinda cheaper here in the philippines. thanks man!

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Yup, the custom 3 is the way to go. Stands up toe-to-toe with the high-end shures, while costing much less.

I got my yuin pk2 from Fang at head-direct.com, they aren't available here in our country. Another alternative store should you want to buy yuins would be audiophilechina.com, they have the pk2's for $77 shipped, which is slightly cheaper than how much I got them from head-direct, about $84 shipped.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 11
sir azathoth,
i think i'm gonna go with a true in ear this time. just wanna ask, what if the warranty expires on the klipsch, will they be able to replace the cables, can you please tell me about the warranty they gave you for your phones? i'm just kinda worried bout the thin cords they have on the custom 3's.by the way hows your custom 3's holdin' up? thanks again.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianC. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sir azathoth,
i think i'm gonna go with a true in ear this time. just wanna ask, what if the warranty expires on the klipsch, will they be able to replace the cables, can you please tell me about the warranty they gave you for your phones? i'm just kinda worried bout the thin cords they have on the custom 3's.by the way hows your custom 3's holdin' up? thanks again.

It's the standard one year Klipsch warranty from the distributor. AFAIK if the warranty expires and your cables break, tough luck because the cables don't seem to be user-replacable. Although pleading your case with Klipsch via e-mail could help
smily_headphones1.gif

I use my custom 3's about 2-3 hours a day (for the past month), mostly while I'm commuting. So far, they're holding up very well, I can detect no fraying of the cable, loose connections or degradation of any sort as far as build quality is concerned. They're actually built quite well. But I do handle them carefully, I always put them back in the carrying case after use.

Probably the only bad thing I can say is that the eartips need to get stray earwax cleaned out every now and then.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back