Klipsch Custom series re-cable
Apr 5, 2010 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

marozie

100+ Head-Fier
I've come across countless posts about the crappy cable on the Klipsch Custom series and several people have asked about recabling them. I recently made a pair of IEMs so my Custom 2s became expendable. While I didn't actually recable them I was curious to open them up and take a look, so I thought I share the photos. After popping them open I think recabling would be pretty easy.

First you want to take off the eargel:
P1000154.jpg

Next, pry off the little ring:
P1000155.jpg

Find the seam that runs down the middle of the shell:
P1000156.jpg

Use a razor blade or something and just pop it open:
P1000157.jpg

The back plate just comes off:
P1000158.jpg

The wires run through the plastic piece that sits over the back of your ear and just terminate to the driver:
P1000159.jpg

The driver is encased in a two part silicone mold:
P1000160.jpg

I was curious to take a look at it since I've now seen a few of the Knowles drivers. The silicone mold just comes apart. It looks exactly like the Knowles DTEC driver:
P1000163.jpg

P1000164.jpg

So, it would basically be a matter of taking out the plastic thing that goes over your ear (I don't really know what to call it). In addition to the wiring there's a metal wire that forms the bend, the end of it just sits in a little notch in the shell (I couldn't really get a good photo of it). Pop that out, desolder the connections from the driver, and you can probably figure out the rest. Granted this is the Custom 2 which is a single dual driver, the Custom 3 has this driver plus a low frequency driver so there will be some additional wiring and probably some kind of passive crossover to deal with.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Please forgive my ignorance, but i have a pair of these and really like them (after i had my shure 310s stolen).

The left headphone had stopped working and i need to replace the cable. I just wanted to know what type of cable i would need as these are dual drivers, is it different to the normal? Also how would i solder the wire to eqch part of the headphone itself? I guess there are more than one parts to connect the cables too.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Adam

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Ok I'm reviving this old thread because I'm thinking about getting the Custom 3's but I have the same questions as courboy. Can you use any headphone cable to replace these or is there something specific you'd have to use? What do some of you recommend?

Nov 12, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 7
OK. I am re-reviving this old thread because I have just ordered a set of Custom 3's (after spending days on end on this forum. Thank you all!) and I know I will be recabling them soon enough because of the issues with the cables and because I love to mod things. 

I am not looking to spend a great deal of money on some exotic Oxygen free 24K pure Gold wires. 

That said. I have been looking around for some custom cabling, but because the word 'custom' is in my search term I don't find anything cheap.

Was thinking about ordering a set of Meelectronics M2's for E10,- since they seem to have relatively good cables on them. Or would this be a bad idea?

BR.Elwin

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 7
So I did it. 

After spending 2 days with the standard cables I was already fed up.

After reading this thread I decided to go with the Logitech Ultimate Ears In-Ear Reference Cable.

I ordered them from the USA and they arrived within a week.

I opened them up just like Marozie. The main difference is that my Custom 3's have a small print which the cables are soldered on to.

Then I just measured with a multimeter which wire should go where from the plug, de-soldered the old wires using a 15W soldering iron and soldered on the new cables.

I used some heatshrink to finish them and used a little glue to secure the wires into the IEMs.

Anyone with just a little of the DIY in them could do this in under an hour.

I just discovered though I cant submit the pictures. Is this because of my low post count? If it is it is preventing me from contributing to this forum so I request I will be able to submit my pictures for other people to use as reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back