Klipsch custom-3: worth a try?
Jan 17, 2010 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

silentmeloud

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, folks!
I have a few questions. there are some sweet deals on Custom-3 on internet. Worth it a try? I'm die hard etymotic fan, but want a little more bass. I read a review, but they are very different. Can you also compare them to triple.fi 10, shure scl5 & full-size ultrasones. Also i want to hear something about there durability (esp. cable). Etys are great. What about c-3? Thanx!

P.S. & where are the cheapest place to buy them?

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 11
hi silentmeloud, im new here , but i do have the custom 3's and the triple fi 10, and shure se 530,westone 3,sennheiser ie8,ie7 , shure se420 , ive started a thread today and will be reveiwing all my iems and compairing them later today if your intrested !. Yes to your question the custom 3s, really are worth a try ,they are one of my faviorate sounding iems, i dont have the etys but from what ive read thec-3s are quite different sounding ,they will deffo give you the bass impact your after.In terms of sound quality the c-3s beat some of my other iems hands down.

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi silentmeloud, im new here , but i do have the custom 3's and the triple fi 10, and shure se 530,westone 3,sennheiser ie8,ie7 , shure se420 , ive started a thread today and will be reveiwing all my iems and compairing them later today if your intrested !. Yes to your question the custom 3s, really are worth a try ,they are one of my faviorate sounding iems, i dont have the etys but from what ive read thec-3s are quite different sounding ,they will deffo give you the bass impact your after.In terms of sound quality the c-3s beat some of my other iems hands down.

WOW, you have such a great collection. Cannot wait to read your review.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 11
I say not worth a try. I've owned them and sold them a long time ago. Instead, look at the Westone 2s, Etys with more bass. And if you don't know, Ety is releasing a new IEM, a dynamic, called the MC5 ($79), which has the Ety treble/detail with more bottom end. It was mentioned at CES at few weeks back.

Of course, since Klipsch is dumping the Custom lineup, you might be able to get them cheap, but even so, I would stay away from them if Ety sound with bass is what you seek. Just my opinion.

Hard to believe someone finds the Custom 3s their favorite over the 530s, TF10s, W3s and IE8, but hey, the IEM world is unpredictable.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 11
Can't really offer a comparison of SQ, but my friend had Custom 3's for less than a week and it already showed signs of breaking at the cable near where it enters the driver housing ... so I guess my impression is that durability is not great.

Jan 17, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 11
Thank you all, guys. I was thinking about mc 5, but i do nt think that those dynamic etys will beat my 4p. I like it even with it's not overpowered bass, but sometimes i feel i want something warmer sounding :)
I read those comment about c-3 cord troubles, bt others mention that's happened not to often.
The reason why i want to try c-3 is my experience with others multi-driver iems. Triples are good, but i can't tolerate it's fit & also they also lack ety clarity a little bit. Shures not for me - those rolled off highs just kill me. Someone wrote here on Head-fi that C-3 sound a lot like warmer etys that's why i'm interesting

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #7 of 11
hi tstarn06
just to say i did not say that custom 3 is my all time favorate iem over all my others, i still have not made up my mind which is the best ,it depends on so many factors ,what music im listing to on the day ,if im in the mood for listening to the music for enjoyment or a more analitcal listen ,etc then there is the fit ,comfort isues,durabilaty etc. The custom 3's are not perfect in all ways ,but i do find them very ,very nice sounding,my faviorate dose seem to change every few days at the moment but the customs are good enough for me that i bought a second pair of them when i read on here that they were being discontinued. This site is not good for my wallet :)

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 11
cant wait to read lucozade reviews on IEMs
hehe
happy01

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by silentmeloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you all, guys. I was thinking about mc 5, but i do nt think that those dynamic etys will beat my 4p. I like it even with it's not overpowered bass, but sometimes i feel i want something warmer sounding :)
I read those comment about c-3 cord troubles, bt others mention that's happened not to often.
The reason why i want to try c-3 is my experience with others multi-driver iems. Triples are good, but i can't tolerate it's fit & also they also lack ety clarity a little bit. Shures not for me - those rolled off highs just kill me. Someone wrote here on Head-fi that C-3 sound a lot like warmer etys that's why i'm interesting

hi silentmeloud , i have had my custom 3 for nearly 5 months now and the cords do not show eny sign of wear & tear, yes they are rather thin but seem sturdy enough to me , you just need to be a bit more gental with them than others. I feed the cable up the inside of my leather ipod case ,this way the cord is nether at a 90 degree angle from the jack which is the weak point ive read on here and have had no problems.
smile.gif
and they are a very musical sounding iem

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Actually, I'm really interested in the Etymotic MC3, the MC5 with iPod controls. I have a 4G iPod nano and just got a "6.5G" 120 GB iPod classic, so I don't want to be fumbling my fingers inside my pocket trying to control the player when I do my weekend morning walks.

Jan 17, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi tstarn06
just to say i did not say that custom 3 is my all time favorate iem over all my others, i still have not made up my mind which is the best ,it depends on so many factors ,what music im listing to on the day ,if im in the mood for listening to the music for enjoyment or a more analitcal listen ,etc then there is the fit ,comfort isues,durabilaty etc. The custom 3's are not perfect in all ways ,but i do find them very ,very nice sounding,my faviorate dose seem to change every few days at the moment but the customs are good enough for me that i bought a second pair of them when i read on here that they were being discontinued. This site is not good for my wallet :)

My bad. Missed the "one of" part. And yes, HF is wallet toxic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back