Klipsch Custom-3 & Top End Spectrum (lacking?)
Dec 4, 2008 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

GooWiz

Head-Fier
Hello, so just got the Custom-3s. I love everything about them except their sound on the high ends. They seem muffled, or just not clear at all... I like to listen to classical from time to time but the C3 just does not bring out the clear violins... I've read as much as I could find here at Head-Fi about these and thought that they would do quite well on the highs but they just seem completely lacking... Is this because of a bad fit? I've only had them for a day, but I'm already thinking of returning them for the X5... I am also thinking of getting different tips such as the Comply T-100 or are there other tips that are preferred? Any recommendations on how to improve the highs? I love these and don't want to return them, but I do need the highs..

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 9
I just got mine today too and so far I'm loving them, especially the fit. The fit's so good that I'm hearing things I didn't even hear from recabled triple-fis.

That itself is good enough for me. Regarding the highs... so far I haven't felt that the highs were muffled, so I'm not sure what to say.

Dec 4, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 9
My Image X10s sounded somewhat muddy on bass and harsh on treble out of the box. Not bad, but not the quality I expected for the price range.

After about two weeks, and I think one half hour to an hour session with "burn in" files for kicks and giggles, the sound really changed and now I can't take them out of my ears. Maybe the Custom 3's are similar in that they need a mild burn in. Nothing like a regular dynamic driver at 24-100+ hours, just something to get them going is all.

In addition, the Custom 3's are notorious for being hard to obtain a good seal with.

EDIT: Let me quantify how much my X10 changed: Songs that were very ear-piercing became smooth and clear while still maintaining the same "level" of treble volume. Bass became much tighter, cleaner, and enjoyable while still keeping the same punch.

Dec 4, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 9
Hmm, perhaps my preference for highs is much greater...

Taikero, I noticed that you use winamp with a DSP, do you listen with or without it enabled? This would greatly change the sound that we are referring to. Using Enhancer for winamp with the General Improvement (a bit altered) on the C3 is more my taste. But without any DSP or EQing, the highs still sound quite lacking...

Dec 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 9
With my Super.fi 5 EB, I use everything in my DSP/Audio Output plugin, including the Equalizer. I get great, head-thumping, and amazingly CLEAR sound from them doing this. The Super.fi 5 EB have the potential to be one of the most fun IEMs a person ever owns with a fair amount of sound tweaking because of their bass capabilities.

With my X10, I have the Equalizer turned off, yet I use the resampler and "room virtualization" in order to sharpen the sound (mainly for some of my lower bitrate MP3s, but ever so slightly helps FLACs also) and improve the sound stage (which is already great). The X10 sounds amazing without this, but I just prefer the overall sound with a little help is all. The sound signature I prefer to remain pretty much untouched because it is almost perfect in my book.

Also, when I first noticed the X10 had drastically changed, I was listening with my Sansa View on a 4 hour car trip, not my PC, so no EQ was enabled.

Dec 4, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 9
I see, I have yet to hear any drastic change... I feel like I've gotten a good fit, despite them being a bit uncomfortable but not that bad. For reference, I absolutely LOVE my AT-A700's clear highs. I was hoping something similar, perhaps not as much but definitely not as muffled/muted sounding as this...

****EDIT****
Perhaps muffled/muted is not the best wording, more like the highs are in the middle/back instead of being forward. Is this just the 'warm' sound signature of Klipsch? Custom-3?

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 9
I'd say the warm soung sig is not to your liking. I have them in now, out of the Zune80, with the single flange silicone gels, listening to the Eagles (New Kid in Town, Best of My Love, etc.) and the highs sound pretty good, may not be Ety-like, but not recessed or rolled off, etc.

Just a warmer phone, and maybe you are better off with an Ety, etc. I will say, the mids on the Custom 3s is nice, and the bass is tight, but not overwhelming. Have you tried all the sleeves?

Dec 5, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 9
yes I have tried all the sleeves, most are too small for me. I actually find the bigger double flange tips except for the fact that they penetrate too much for me. I think I have a bit sensitive ears on the inside, my left ear hurts if I use a q-tip in it without caution..
However, interestingly enough, I'm sort of starting to like the sound. It seems the highs are slowly starting to come out, just a tad bit, although it is after some messing with the DSP, but then I didn't like it before even with DSP so maybe it's burn-in? But with a flat EQ and no DSP I still find the sound too warm...
I may actually spend a bit longer to see how these end up sounding.
Does anyone have any recommendation on other tips? I think I've read that Comply's are really good, as well as Shure black foams. Any suggestion on which is more comfortable? Also if Comply's are better what size would be better for me? Do the regular size penetrate as much as the Klipsch double-flange? I don't want to get too small because I do seem to have fairly large holes for my ears... Thanks everyone

Dec 5, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 9
I have tried both the Shure black olives and the Comply T100s (very small) and P series (short), and my only concern is that while comfort is increased, the foamies may hurt the highs for you. Only one way to find out. The P series standard will also fit these phones, I am pretty sure. Check the Comply site for brands/tips, they have a configurator of sorts on their site. Klipsch Custom 3 should be listed.

If you PM me your mailing address, I'll slip a pair of large P series Complys in the mail. They are large, but you said you have larger ear canals. They are pretty big, but could work. If not, the short P series are the ticket. Medium or large olives will work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back