Klipsch Custom 2s! Awesome but a niggle..
Sep 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nue

New Head-Fier
As the title says, picked up a pair of customs and they are incredibly awesome!

But as always, something bugs me about my cans and this one is no exception: It's the microphonics this time around. They're incredibly bad. For a pair of cans that are advertised for an active lifestyle the nylon-like ropes seem to be able to hold up to all kinds of abuse just fine but the sound of cords banging up against me is just terrible! Browsing both on Google and Head-Fi have shown no remedies for this barely covered topic.

I've already attempted to use them in various ways, including putting it behind my back, going through the shirt, moving the rubber separator to the tightest possible but to no avail, the microphonics seem to screw up the overall sound if I even attempt to walk. It seems that a shirt clip would be the answer but Klipsch doesn't provide one nor do the ones I currently have (Sennheiser sports and some random HPM70s) are any more feasible for attempting to remedy this problem. And so I turn to the rest of you Klipsch owners; how the hell do you use these on a daily (active) basis?

Sep 25, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #3 of 29
The worst microphonics I've personally ever experienced in my limited pool of IEMs. Got a link for 'em? And also, is there a difference between the er6 and er6i clips? Thanks!

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 29
is it me, or did that last word sound REALLY racist
beyersmile.png

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #6 of 29
The bad microphonics are mainly caused by the Klipsch-tipsch. The thin hollow gel's act like a membrane that enhances every sound coming through the wire. But when you swap those to foamies like the short comply "P" tips - which i ripped of some UM2's -, microphonics are reduced dramaticly..., also fit & seal improved a lot & subsequently sq became much more cleaner & crisper.

Btw I got the Custom-3's but they're pretty much the same. Only problem i have with these comply's is that they stick out a millimeter (or 2-3) too far, so i'm still looking for the perfect tips/sleeves where the connector-ring of the foamy is somewhat 'sunken' so the IEM's can fit a tiny bit deeper in my head..

Anyway, really love the sq & ss of these now
ksc75smile.gif

Edit: Just found out that the Image's use identical gel's as the Custom's, so the Comply "T-100's" should fit even better then the "P's"..

Sep 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dookiex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's really very little microphonics with the Customs. This is coming from years of use with Etymotic ER-4S and ER-6i. THOSE are really bad without the clip.

I guess it is all relative. Coming from a set of ER4S that met their maker via JohnDeere, the X5s I just picked up yesterday havent anythingclose to microphonic. Sure the transfer a little but, there is not comparison unless I did the ear wrap on the Etys (very old ones if that matters, I dont know if the cable changed over time but will say they cannot withstand a lawnmower blade
wink.gif
)

Just before Im asked and not a thread jack or diversion from the 'last word of the title' hahah, I really like the X5s. Had to go to the double flange for any bass to be heard but one I got a seal, they are impressive. More bass than the impression I got from other readers . If the X10 have alot more a bass then they have got to be bloated in sound?

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 29
Lol, whoa whoa lets not start anything that was clearly unintentional here mmk?
wink.gif

As mentioned before, it's likely relative compared to the Etys but crap come now, these are meant to be used as on the go comfortably. As in without the nuisances of the cord banging about. Perhaps it's just a case of simply being mislead by the ad? =(

Anyways, looks like I'll be directly ordering from the Etymotic site and hopefully it'll cure this troublesome feature that comes with these Customs. That or could anyone else vouch for the Comply tips? I'd rather they be inconspicuous as opposed to sticking out of my ears like apparent earplugs, never mind the fact that they are earplugs in reality. Oh and do the clips matter between the regular 6 and 6i?

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 29
Bump/Update

Ended up ordering the ER6 clips, the black ones. They failed in their mission as shirt clips, either that or I'm misusing them as the clip doesn't properly fasten the clip, making it a fairly poor choice to keep the cord at a set position as it can't do it.

Any other ideas?

Oct 2, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #12 of 29
Have you tried the Comply T100 tips?

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 29
Sleeves, flanges & foamies that will fit the Klipsch Image & Custom:

- Shure's SE- (& most of their E-, i- & SCL-) series
- Sleek's SA-6
- Futuresonic's Atrio M5/8
- Comply T-100's (P's also, but you'll need to force them just a little..)

Dual- & triple flanges are simply too long for the Customs (&/or my ears), so finally I switched from Comply tips to my Shure black foamies & that was all she wrote.
Besides aesthetics (all black) the fit & sq are about perfect now - as far as universal IEM's go that is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back