Klipsch custom 2 seriously unimpressive.
Dec 12, 2008 at 7:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Beyerfan70

100+ Head-Fier
I received my custom 2's this morning from amazon as i thought they were a bargain for under £50 and after getting rid of my ie8 i was looking forward to a bit of a change and hopefully an iem that stays in my ears for more than 10 seconds.
Well no sooner had i got them out the box i was impressed at how they looked,i love the cord and the general look of them.
It was a breeze to get a seal and very comfy they were too,nice isolation and when i moved they stayed in wahey!
So by this time i couldn't wait to hit play!
Wish i hadn't these sound horrible.
a rather lumpy sounding bass,completely dead mids and no highs that i could make out.
To me they sound like the Shure Se210 with dodgy drivers.
But i wasn't going to judge them that quick but the more i listened to them the more i wanted to turn the player off.
I can honestly say i have never heard a more ugly sounding iem.
So yes the price was good until i heard them.
Ok i wasn't expecting much but ive seen these on sale between £99-£149!,i mean really.
Is there any iem out there with an all round punchy sound with a sparkly top end?
I'm starting to doubt it.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 14
Haven't heard the C2s - but you are comparing against a much, much more expensive IEM in the IE8s...

Also - definitely getting a good seal? Have heard that with the Custom line getting a good seal is problematic/important.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 14
I've found that Klipsch IEMs take some time getting used to (or possibly burn in). My X10 sounded "bulgy" and almost distorted out of the box with some rather flabby bass. 2 weeks of use later and it became my favorite all-around IEM that I own.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard the C2s - but you are comparing against a much, much more expensive IEM in the IE8s...

Also - definitely getting a good seal? Have heard that with the Custom line getting a good seal is problematic/important.

Oh i wasn't comparing them to the ie8,i only picked these up cause they sounded a bargain.
Yeah i've read a lot about the fit problems but i did get a seal no problem.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 14
Do you enjoy the Sennheisers? Klipsch Customs and Sennheiser offers completely opposite kind of sound. The Customs are more 'analytical' - aimed at musicians, while the Sennheisers are more consumer and 'fun' orientated with good bass presence. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste...

But I do wonder about the 'dead' mids you mentioned. The C-1 had wonderful mids, with restrained bass and treble. Oh well, my C-2 should be here tomorrow and I'll give them a go. There's always eBay if I don't like it...

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70
Is there any iem out there with an all round punchy sound with a sparkly top end?

Future Sonics Atrio M5, maybe? Not super sparkly, but the only real "punchy" IEM. That or the Image X10, although less punchy than the Atrio.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you enjoy the Sennheisers? Klipsch Customs and Sennheiser offers completely opposite kind of sound. The Customs are more 'analytical' - aimed at musicians, while the Sennheisers are more consumer and 'fun' orientated with good bass presence. Perhaps it is just a matter of taste...

But I do wonder about the 'dead' mids you mentioned. The C-1 had wonderful mids, with restrained bass and treble. Oh well, my C-2 should be here tomorrow and I'll give them a go. There's always eBay if I don't like it...

Well the ie8 was for me anyway the best sounding iem,period.
Nothing came close,and i mean nothing,soundstage was massive bass was perfect mids were edgy and the treble smashed and crashed with reckless abandon.
When i reviewied these i said it was like being punched in the face and that was completely true.
But the isolation was zero and the fit was horrible and i had doubts over the design but there you go.
As for the c2's they just sound dead to me,although they improve a bit with shure black foam but nothing major.
I was gonna try the c3's as my next main iem but i don't think i'll bother now,unless they are dramatically beter than c2.
I am intrigued about the X5 or X10 though,they both sound sparkly and maybe what i'm searching for.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 14
funny how you say the IE8 were the best IEM you ever had and in the same paragraph you say the fit was rubbish and you had no isolation.

pardon me for stating the obvious but without good fit and isolation no IEM will sound good and its a manditory requirement to have good fit and seal for IEM's to create any kind of good sound at all.

strange... and then before that you say you got rid of the best IEM in your eyes and replace it with a much cheaper IEM hoping its going to be good. sorry but after getting used to my shure se530 i would not take a step backwards at all. the only way you could get me away from my fav IEM would be to go up in the range or invest in a set thats more expensive and thus...should be better.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny how you say the IE8 were the best IEM you ever had and in the same paragraph you say the fit was rubbish and you had no isolation.

pardon me for stating the obvious but without good fit and isolation no IEM will sound good and its a manditory requirement to have good fit and seal for IEM's to create any kind of good sound at all.

strange... and then before that you say you got rid of the best IEM in your eyes and replace it with a much cheaper IEM hoping its going to be good. sorry but after getting used to my shure se530 i would not take a step backwards at all. the only way you could get me away from my fav IEM would be to go up in the range or invest in a set thats more expensive and thus...should be better.

In my review i said the ie8 sounded the best....until i moved about then it was push em in again every minute.
and obviously isolation wouldn't be much of a big deal indoors but outside it would be a problem.
Secondly i didn't get the custom 2 as a direct replacement as ive already said.

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm sorry that you find this with Custom 2's and it could be that coming from the IE8's, which I gather are huge sounding, that the very thin and reedy and in your head sound of the 2's seems terrible. I personally went to the Custom 2's for the first time after listening to the TF10's for a long, consistent spell, and though the size of the sound and soundstage was like chiwauwa and Great Dane I quickly adapted to the 'resolution size' of the 2's and could see that they were pretty detailed and clear, bright and energetic. That you describe them as dead is in contrast to my experience with them! Still, you can always just sell em on and possibly make a few quid!
wink.gif

EDIT: Just in case you weren't aware, I have just been aprised of this site that stocks the Klipsch image x10's and Custom 3's. I have only glanced at their product pages but I believe both are in stock. The site is:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry that you find this with Custom 2's and it could be that coming from the IE8's, which I gather are huge sounding, that the very thin and reedy and in your head sound of the 2's seems terrible. I personally went to the Custom 2's for the first time after listening to the TF10's for a long, consistent spell, and though the size of the sound and soundstage was like chiwauwa and Great Dane I quickly adapted to the 'resolution size' of the 2's and could see that they were pretty detailed and clear, bright and energetic. That you describe them as dead is in contrast to my experience with them! Still, you can always just sell em on and possibly make a few quid!
wink.gif

EDIT: Just in case you weren't aware, I have just been aprised of this site that stocks the Klipsch image x10's and Custom 3's. I have only glanced at their product pages but I believe both are in stock. The site is:

Micro SD Cards, Compact Flash, SanDisk Memory Cards, SD Cards, SSD, M2 Memory Stick Micro, SDHC - MyMemory

Lol!
Many people think i'm rather strange,seems like my ears fall into that category as well.lol!
I'm not sure i've been used to the ie8's as i couldn't really listen unless i was sitting still,and not having time to do that it was difficult.
Still they sure sounded awesome stationary.
Anyway i will definitely check the site out.
Once again i thank you very much for your help.
Gentleman and scholar.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beyerfan70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol!
Many people think i'm rather strange,seems like my ears fall into that category as well.lol!
I'm not sure i've been used to the ie8's as i couldn't really listen unless i was sitting still,and not having time to do that it was difficult.
Still they sure sounded awesome stationary.
Anyway i will definitely check the site out.
Once again i thank you very much for your help.
Gentleman and scholar.

Seriously, not a problem dude, glad to help! I think you've gone off Custom 3's now but was made aware of this site in TF10 appreciation site so just passed it on
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back