Klipsch Custom-1 review
Dec 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

doomlordis

Banned
Not many reviews of this about so i thought i would do a quick one.
I compared it to Sony EX75SL, Shure se210 , Yuin PK3 and a pair of JVC air cushions. I have better headphones but these are my in-ears.

BUILD QUALITY

Very very good imo, great fabric cables, the bendable ear arch is comfy and the gels are very good quality as well.
It is in my opinion better built than any of my other in-ears, the SE210s are close but they feel slightly more fragile.

COMFORT

Takes a while to shape the bendable bit but it is worth taking the time as when they are on now i forget about them within a few seconds.
The large gels are best for my massive ear holes and i get a great seal with them. (make sure you line up the rubber ridge on the gel with the main body , it really helped my fit)

I rate these as the best, followed by the sonys , then the jvc , then the shures.

With the shures i am always aware i have them in which i find tiring.

SOUND QUALITY

I prefer the Shures, they have a wider range of bass. The Custom-1 has bass but it is very limited in range, Daft Punks - Da Funk is supposed to be felt and it isnt with the Klipsch.
For Hip Hop , Dance i would NOT recommend these....
However for anything strong in mids/vocals these are simply fantastic , The Shins sound amazing , better than the shures in the mids.
The highs let them down a smidgen , on first listen i was shocked by how tisssy the highs were, they were almost painful but after 30hrs that has gone and although they are bright it doesnt invade the lower spectrum at all.
Rock music gets a little muddled when there is a lot going on but so do the SE210s.

I rate these second to the Shures , thay are roughly on a par with the Yuins, take the covers of the PK3 and they actually sound similar with large sound stages and lots of detail.

The Sonys and JVCs sound muddy in comaprison.

I paid £17.99 and i am dlighted with them , at £50 there still isnt much better in my opinion.

I am saving for the Image X10 now!

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 11
I also bought these from Amazon for £18, couldnt resist a bargain. I didnt expect much to be honest but they were going for £70 in some places so i thought worth a try, maybe theyre better than my PL30s. They sounded absolutely awfull to me straight out the box, they were painful to listen to, very comfortable to wear but sound to me like any stock earphones that come with the cheapest of players. Burned them in for about 20 hrs and they still sound like crap to me, bass is virtually non existant and the highs are painfull. I got a good seal so thats not the problem. I wont be giving them another listen to see if things improve because i really dont like them. Im not an expert on IEMs and havent heard very many different sets, but to me these are awful. I tried them with the Fiio and that added a slight amount of bass but the sound is still very painfull to listen to. After much consideration i decided to buy the Senn IE8 which arrived yesterday, things are looking up now
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 11
I kinda enjoyed it especially for £18 phone. And even at £50 it still holds its own. First impression wasn't good, but after trying all the tips (I settled for the single flange) and experimenting with the fit, I am enjoying the more analytical sound. It really sounds good on instrumental solos, though less 'fun' than my similarly priced CX 95. I am keeping it as a backup headphone and for sleeping in it.

I've a Custom-2 coming in as well, marked down to £49.99. Keep the bargains coming in Amazon.
biggrin.gif

Klipsch Custom 2 - High Performance Noise-Isolating: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 11
i had mine in today for a bit and they sound lacking for the first 20 min but my ears get used to the sound of them very quickly, i know they are lacking in the highs and they really dont have a lot of bass but after a little while my ears kinda forget thier faults. i know the custom 2s are better but i still find the 1's more fun

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brood_Star /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how are they compared to sf3/er6i/551?

551 is more bassy, perfect for bass heavy music like R&B and dance. I personally found the C-1 more suited for solos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had mine in today for a bit and they sound lacking for the first 20 min but my ears get used to the sound of them very quickly, i know they are lacking in the highs and they really dont have a lot of bass but after a little while my ears kinda forget thier faults. i know the custom 2s are better but i still find the 1's more fun

That is interesting. Perhaps I should return the C-2 unopened and wait for the C-3s instead, as they are reportedly similar sounding to the C-1 (but better). Oh well I have up until the end of January to decide (Amazon's Christmas return period).

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 11
well that up to you if you return them, i wouldnt though. they are better than the 1's just i cant seem to forgive the things they dont get right whereas the 1's i just more relax with and dont get so hung up about the not great highs and the not very much bass. the 2's feel as they get close to being really really good but then just crap out at the last minute. the 1's are cheap and cheerful

Dec 12, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 11
varies, just been setting the ipod on shuffle, yeah they are quite bright, as one review i saw said they just hurl the sounds into your head, so as long as its reasonably upbeat fun music. could be that i find the ipod sound quite soft and warm balancing them a bit. you could also try using them with a fiio, it warms them up quite a bit too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back