Kite flying is serios business
Feb 26, 2007 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

darkninja67

Headphoneus Supremus
Feb 26, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Yeah, I saw that story posted on Reddit earlier. Crazy stuff indeed! Whoever knew kite flying was a dangerous and lethal sport??

Aditya

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, kite lines are dangerous when they are pulled taut by a kite under full power. The article covers the sport of kite fighting in other countries where teams do use lines that are coated with fine glass in hopes to cut their comptetitors lines. Here in the US, to the best of my knowledge in kite fighting competitions you are not allowed to used modified lines (glass coated) or line constructed of wire leader. Standard allowed lines in US kite fighting competitions is Kevlar line with it's test strength to be determined by the size of the kite.

I have several spools of Kevlar lines for my stunt kites ranging from 80 lb to 200 lb test. I will tell you that you seriously don't want to or want anyone else to come into contact with the Kevlar lines when they are pulled taut by a kite under full power. Severe cuts and burns will result requiring a trip to the emergency room. I've seen damage done to skin by these lines while out on the field kite flying and can tell you it's painful sight. Spectra or polyester lines will also do damage if you accidentally come into conact with them on a fully powered kite. Always be careful and be aware of others around you when flying your kites to prevent serious injuries to others or yourself.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 9
First thing I remember is to tell people to get behind you when you fly kites.

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Kiteboarding - the only way to fly a kite
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 9
Yea, kiteboarding got it's start when windsurfers took notice at stunt kite flyers flying huge peel kites and getting airborne with them. They realized it would be an incredible way to wind surf and grab some major air with the huge peel kites.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 9
darn.. i came in expecting a funny video and got 11 dead Palestinians...
frown.gif

that's pretty horrible. the worst that's happened to me is a scuffed knee... i was flying a kite on Monk's Mound (a Native American mound that's roughly 100 feet high) and it was really windy. i was bored so i jerked on the thing to see what it'd do and i got swept away for a few seconds.. kinda scary, glad i wasnt on the edge- although, of course, it's not like a cliff, it's just a fairly steep hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back