Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Feb 25, 2021 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 320

TomekZ

New Head-Fier
Recently I've picked up a Kinki Studio THR-1. (My other amps are a Burson Soloist 3x with Vivid Opamps & a microZotl powered by Mojo Illuminati). Not much here at head-fi about this amp. Sarajan of six-moons has liked it esp with dynamic headphones. My experience is that it is very, very clear in the midrange & powerful & tight in the bass. Also, it is very spacious, as are my other two amps. I've only a 100 hours on it and wouldn't say the treble is as nice, but maybe it will break in more. Over all the melodic line is the most clear. The tone is not as warm as the other two amps, but feels more weighted, more firm.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2 of 320
Recently I've picked up a Kinki Studio THR-1. (My other amps are a Burson Soloist 3x with Vivid Opamps & a microZotl powered by Mojo Illuminati). Not much here at head-fi about this amp. Sarajan of six-moons has liked it esp with dynamic headphones. My experience is that it is very, very clear in the midrange & powerful & tight in the bass. Also, it is very spacious, as are my other two amps. I've only a 100 hours on it and wouldn't say the treble is as nice, but maybe it will break in more. Over all the melodic line is the most clear. The tone is not as warm as the other two amps, but feels more weighted, more firm.
Have my eye on this one for Abyss 1266, since it has the power. You still using/liking it?

Seems lonely in here!

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 320
Oh, sure do like the Kinki. Oddly more liquid & less harsh in the mids than the microZotl 2 and less solid-state graininess than the Burson. But the Kinki is not as ultimately detailed as either the others, but it is simply the most listenable, most music for music's sake of the three.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 320
Oh, sure do like the Kinki. Oddly more liquid & less harsh in the mids than the microZotl 2 and less solid-state graininess than the Burson. But the Kinki is not as ultimately detailed as either the others, but it is simply the most listenable, most music for music's sake of the three.
Good to hear. How are things like dynamics, speed and slam? The Abyss are super resolving and fast, and have a lot of slam. They're the perfect headphone for electronic music, which I listen to most of the time. Do you think the Kinki would do well with that genre? A softer or slower sounding amp would not be ideal.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 320
Well with good solid state amps, the only comparison is with a Burson Soloist 3x which is also very powerful. The Kinki is much more weighted with more bounce in the bass. I sometimes listened to electronic "trance" beat. Mostly I listen to symphonic and in this case the Kinki is more coherent & harmonically rich. The Burson sound they themselves call "lush", but the Kinki is even more so. But the Kinki does not seem as quck on the uptake: a new note doesn't startle or surprise.

Mar 10, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 320
Well with good solid state amps, the only comparison is with a Burson Soloist 3x which is also very powerful. The Kinki is much more weighted with more bounce in the bass. I sometimes listened to electronic "trance" beat. Mostly I listen to symphonic and in this case the Kinki is more coherent & harmonically rich. The Burson sound they themselves call "lush", but the Kinki is even more so. But the Kinki does not seem as quck on the uptake: a new note doesn't startle or surprise.
This is great info. Thanks

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 320
Going to try mine with 1266 soon. I don't really understand why it's getting so little love over here.

Attachments

• IMG_5439.jpeg
    IMG_5439.jpeg
    770.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 320
I think it‘s very similar to the flux fa10 sonically. Quality wise it’s another league. The build quality is nothing less than superb. I probably end up selling one of them though, because they are so similar.

Jun 5, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 320
I think it‘s very similar to the flux fa10 sonically. Quality wise it’s another league. The build quality is nothing less than superb. I probably end up selling one of them though, because they are so similar.
Which did you decide to keep? I see you also have a Cayin iHA6, which I do also. How do you compare that to the Kinki?

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 320
It's kind of sad to see this amp get so little attention. I have been through scores of high quality headphone amplifiers, and the Kinki THR-1 is certainly one of my very favorites. It's just the perfect balance of warmth, resolution, power and just general listenability. It's lovely to look at and hold also, very solidly built.
Another wonderful aspect is how it seems to suit all my phones... HD6xx, LCD3, Sundara, GS1000i. None of them feel like they are missing anything through the Kinki.
The Cayin iHA6 is one I have now also, and I like it a lot, but it is clearly on the brighter side of the Kinki, and, for me, lacks the magical musicality of the THR-1.

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 320
It's kind of sad to see this amp get so little attention. I have been through scores of high quality headphone amplifiers, and the Kinki THR-1 is certainly one of my very favorites. It's just the perfect balance of warmth, resolution, power and just general listenability. It's lovely to look at and hold also, very solidly built.
Another wonderful aspect is how it seems to suit all my phones... HD6xx, LCD3, Sundara, GS1000i. None of them feel like they are missing anything through the Kinki.
The Cayin iHA6 is one I have now also, and I like it a lot, but it is clearly on the brighter side of the Kinki, and, for me, lacks the magical musicality of the THR-1.
Omg, I have both also and was comparing recently and couldn't agree more. The Cayin sounds kind of shouty compared to the Kinki

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 320
Anyone compare the Kinki with the V281? I have the latter and really like it. Paired with Abyss TC and they sound good together. The 281 has a nice musicality about it. Perhaps a tad warmish (certainly not clinical or sterile), but ticks the slam, speed and resolution boxes as well.

Aug 16, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 320
New owner of the Kinki Studio THR-1 pairing with Hifiman Arya and am enjoying the sound from this combo (both brand new).
Thank you to your post highlighting how it suits the Hifiman Susvara (a more power hungry headphone than Arya) well. Your post made me pull the trigger after reading some reviews online.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 320
To all the Kinki THR-1 owners, if you ever have scratchy/frying eggs like sound in any of the channels don't be alarmed

I was crazy about it for months and even sent to a few technicians to take a look and they couldn't figure it out.... But I did

If you ever have the problem I described or similar, it is probably the ALPS blue velvet potentiometer that got dust or something in it, just put bit of deoxid in the 2 little holes and turn left and right the pot for a min or so and let it dry. It will work like new and you won't have to send it back to China and wait long time....

1632659476513.png

I was about to give up but I'm happy to say the THR-1 is really amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back