King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
May 26, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #212 of 666
Stax uses a high quality plastic and they're probably the most durable headphones out there.  The Lambdas aren't good looking (especially the 404 color), but there actually is functionality behind the looks.

May 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #214 of 666
I am patiently waiting to hear one.
No predictions to make.
Seems like the ugly stick has not been employed in the design.
What's not to like at the moment, except the wait to hear the units.

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #215 of 666
Fortunately, I HAVE auditioned these 'phones, and at $800 including the SS amp, they simply can't be beaten at that price. I heard them the same day as Frank, and they sounded excellent, with a value level that's out of this world. When I spoke to Drew at the NY meet, I felt he made it pretty clear that he would be shortly receiving 40 pairs of cans, 20 SS amps, 20 tube amps, and not be taking pre-orders until they arrived. I wonder what happened to that plan . . .

Quote:
I heard them at the NY meet and was quite impressed from what i heard . I thought it was an incredible value. The one Drew had was the prototype so I expect the finished product to be nicer. I think this will be a big hit in this community.   I am not an engineer but the sound coming from them is of a very high quality and they sounded excellent.  People should take a listen to them and it may change some of the perception that is coming form this thread. They are an exciting product and King Sound makes excellent electrostatic speakers so I am not surprised that they sounded so good. I think it is refreshing to have another electrostatic in the market especially at a reasonable price.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #216 of 666
I understand the reactions here, as the Stax thread can be kind of haty... Receiving defensive comments here seems the proof of it. Let this thread live its life, a new stats is more than welcome in this market.

Jun 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #218 of 666
It wasn't hate. Somebody stated it would be unlikely they were as good as the Omegas, as someone claimed, without having listened to either of them.
These pacifier talk is silly too. forget about it!

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #219 of 666
As a reminder, I am attaching below (in quotations, the bold I have added later) what I wrote about the Kingsound regarding the Omega earlier in the thread. It seems some people might be getting a bit overly excited due to unfortunate misunderstanding:

--- beginning quote 

"Is the M-20 system a poor man Stax Omega? I think that is the key question. I have listened to Omega's before but it is difficult for me to say how much % of Omega's performance you can find in an M-20. I would need to do more critical listening with both of them. It would be great if someone could this find out and report back to us - preferably somebody not already married to a Stax system.

If Kingsound could prove to be a good value alternative to Stax Omega, I think this would be good news for all of us."

--end quote

I do think that Kingsound is going after people who might aspire to a Stax Omega (as I said in a later post) but find it too expensive and settle for a much cheaper product with a certain % (and I don't know who much, although I have listened to both headphones) of performance. However, my first impressions are that the price/quality proposition looks exciting, potentially better than Stax.

I later added that perhaps people going for stuff such as SR-507 might also be a target market due to Kingsound's low price point. One thing for sure, it certainly outperformed the Stax SRS -3170 system I heard the week before. 

It would be great to hear from more people who also have HEARD both Stax and Kingsound.  

Pedro

PS If someone thinks this is "hyping" as one poster accused me of....then I suppose I am guilty, I don't care. I definitely found the product intriguing.

Jun 4, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #220 of 666
Speedy pedro, I think it's more about misunderstanding. "The omega" does not mean anything. There are multiple versions of the SR-007, we refer to the initial model as Omega and it is a highly regarded can in the Stax collection.

Next, you are comparing "the omega" to the M20. The former is a headphone, the latter is an amplifier (or a combo maybe?). Again, what is this supposed to mean?

Personally, I think that if you're brave enough to start the speculations about headphone comparisons, the least you can do is be specific about the headphones. "The omega" is meaningless to me. If you're referring to the original sr007 then, expect people to be somewhat skeptical about the claim as you've simply selected one the most revered cans ever produced by Stax...

End of rumbling :wink:

Jun 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #221 of 666
He specifically said a 'poor man's'. He's not saying it will sound exactly the same. A Buick is a poor man's Cadillac. Obviously those cars are at different levels, but are similar in principle.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #224 of 666
Quote:
Speedy pedro, I think it's more about misunderstanding. "The omega" does not mean anything. There are multiple versions of the SR-007, we refer to the initial model as Omega and it is a highly regarded can in the Stax collection.

Next, you are comparing "the omega" to the M20. The former is a headphone, the latter is an amplifier (or a combo maybe?). Again, what is this supposed to mean?

Personally, I think that if you're brave enough to start the speculations about headphone comparisons, the least you can do is be specific about the headphones. "The omega" is meaningless to me. If you're referring to the original sr007 then, expect people to be somewhat skeptical about the claim as you've simply selected one the most revered cans ever produced by Stax...

End of rumbling
wink.gif

I would have thought that most thread readers would imagine that I am talking about the Kingsound headset + M20 and not just the M20. As far as which Omega -> you can safely assume the older (cheaper) reference 007 with the SRM 007t (the valves one since the M20 is also valves) as opposed SRM 727 (solid state). Glad to have cleared up any confusion.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #225 of 666
Actually, I even confused myself with that one, lol.

So, you're saying SR007 older version (SR-007mk1), which is the Omega 2 actually.
Well, it's the best Stax can I've ever heard except for the latest SR009, many consider it THE most successful Stax can ever made.

So, yeah, you clarified that you're speculating this new king stuff is possibly on par with an Omega 2mk1 at least when driven by sub-optimal amp like the stax 006/007 tube amps.

Humm, I am definitely suspicious yet curious as I said before :). The Omega 2mk1, while cheaper and more easily found on used market than the original SR-Omega, is nevertheless not cheap in the least (the fact it is one of the most popular stax cans ever does not help with that), so all I can say is you're making a very bold claim :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back